PDA

View Full Version : Help on sub and port placement in boat??

brad03cobra
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
I need to know whats the best way to face sub and port of my box I'm building for my boat. The sub is going in the bow section of the boat. Here is a pic of where it's going. It's going to be sa-12 powered by a kicker zx1000 tuned a 32 hz. Box can only be roughly 14" high 22" depth and 16" wide.

Thanks

Moble Enclosurs
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
You are able to get quite a good amount of room for that, which is a good thing! As far as placement, due to the fact that there is little acoustical resistance in nearly 2 planes, the best type of setup may be direct firing or either downfiring to help with loading of the driver.
With a direct fire, you will likely get a better output, and with the downfire, you may get a bandpass type of sound from that environment. And those differences will depend on what you are looking to obtain with your sound. You can either have a bandpass type of sound with a very low end tuning, or a direct SQ type of sound with a likely high tuning(not exceeding 45-50Hz) for the best output in your boat. I would not tune to low on this, as that may cause some degree of loss in the upper region as the gain will have a huge drop for most of the output, much like designing for a large room, where most of the gain may be a loss.
SO, high power, direct placement may be the optimal choice.
Hope that helps!