PDA

View Full Version : Tips on gaining 1/10s

DDtC
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Ideas that can be done during testing? Seat position, ect?

Phoenix Risen
04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
way to many to begin to list, just start trying stupid stuff. how high the head rests are seat position, depending on which orginazation, which and how many windows/doors open and how far.

getting the the point your worrying about 1/10's it just takes hours of testing.

DDtC
04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Im talking just general sealed up. Stuff like steering wheel postion and what not. glove box open I heard also? Stuff that can be done without add more freaking money.

Phoenix Risen
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
every car and every install reacts differently, the only way to really know what works for you is to get on the meter for a few hours and just try different things, clean/wax the dash on a hot day and see a .1-.2 gain (ive seen that happen a few times) change the box position slightly turn the enclosure to different positions to see which one it loads better in.

DDtC
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
The box is the only thing i cant move. It is where it is

kushy_dreams
04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
some have been mentioned already but: seats bottoms forward or backward, seatbacks upright or leaned, headrest positions, glove box open/closed, steering wheel (tilt and telescope if applicable), windows up/down with various sizes, doors closed/various opening sizes, position of meter (driver or pass side), a/c on/off or testing in cool weather vs warm weather, position of box in car, aiming of box in car, adding weight to flexing areas outside the car aka laying on it lol, armrest, rearview mirror and sunvisor positions too

DDtC
04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Also i heard about the vents open or closed. Ill go over the stuff you guys have listed

212s
04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
ive seen people move the seats all the way forward, remove the headrests, flip the passenger seat forward, and flip the drivers seat forward as far as you can with you in it

dragon.breath
04-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Also try flipping the floor mats upside down so the rubber is up instead of the carpeted side. I saw a explorer pick up .2 with this trick.

murph
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Remove the back seat cushions and play with head rest positions.

mylows10
04-26-2012, 12:53 PM
also visors forward or straight down,even touching the headrests of the seats when all the way forward.remove dash mat,if an suv tilt back seats flat,frt seats flat ,port on drivers side always,subs up port can be up,frt,back,depends on vehicle.also add more 0 gauge.i went from 3 runs to 8 runs and gained almost 1 db by its self.close all openings too.

bgowdy31
04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
also visors forward or straight down,even touching the headrests of the seats when all the way forward.remove dash mat,if an suv tilt back seats flat,frt seats flat ,port on drivers side always,subs up port can be up,frt,back,depends on vehicle.also add more 0 gauge.i went from 3 runs to 8 runs and gained almost 1 db by its self.close all openings too.

ive been waiting for this type of info lol. i take it you have a suv since know so much. my ports are on drives side... so ur saying lay the back seats flat. and lay fronts seats all the way back(flat)?

mylows10
04-26-2012, 01:23 PM
i just got my 4 runner ,but i have done extensive work on suv's ,these are just a few little tricks that i have learned over the years.now keep in mind that some of these tricks will work and some not thats why you need to experiment before shows.also the biggest thing is the placement of the box.i've seen in the past by just moving the box forward or back just a few inches can be the difference between 1-2 db by its self in some suv's

VisceralSound
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
In relation to the thread, when getting metered if my system gets louder with both windows open (front) is it cheating the numbers? or do you always want to do it with windows up.

DDtC
04-26-2012, 01:28 PM
In relation to the thread, when getting metered if my system gets louder with both windows open (front) is it cheating the numbers? or do you always want to do it with windows up.

depends on the format. Most are completly sealed up unless its a headrest meter

NutHugger
04-26-2012, 01:29 PM
depends on the format. Most are completly sealed up unless its a headrest meter

Or a globe for the kick panel.

bgowdy31
04-26-2012, 01:30 PM
i just got my 4 runner ,but i have done extensive work on suv's ,these are just a few little tricks that i have learned over the years.now keep in mind that some of these tricks will work and some not thats why you need to experiment before shows.also the biggest thing is the placement of the box.i've seen in the past by just moving the box forward or back just a few inches can be the difference between 1-2 db by its self in some suv's

yea i know. thats why i need a TL. no one around here really has one. and know every suv is different. but when u say the lay front seats flat i dont totaly understand how that would help with metering @ headrest. wouldnt that lose pressure there?

mylows10
04-26-2012, 01:32 PM

always do it with the windows up ,but really depends on what org.your competing in. also if you get louder with the windows down,you haven't found the loudest your car will get yet.which means you need to play around a bit more to find the resonance freq of you vehicle.and get it as close to that as you can,that will be your loudest freq of your car.also the smaller the box the less rise you'll have ,so if your competing start at a lower ohm and let the rise take you to 1 ohm would be ideal.mine started at .35 each amp and would rise to 3 ohms which is way too much ,but i was still busting 153 with 2 12's in a truck street c app.too.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

always do it with the windows up ,but really depends on what org.your competing in. also if you get louder with the windows down,you haven't found the loudest your car will get yet.which means you need to play around a bit more to find the resonance freq of you vehicle.and get it as close to that as you can,that will be your loudest freq of your car.also the smaller the box the less rise you'll have ,so if your competing start at a lower ohm and let the rise take you to 1 ohm would be ideal.mine started at .35 each amp and would rise to 3 ohms which is way too much ,but i was still busting 153 with 2 12's in a truck street c app.too.

subzero
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
1/10ths is getting down to the wire ...

Ideas:
Seat posititons
port; passenger, drivers,
seal; ac, doors, trunks, hidden spaces, behind panels,
Frequency cancellation factors vs compression of the vehical
power drain /draw
equipment cooling/heating up
proper deck / amp settings
music / tone recording levels and quality
humidity
surfaces; hard and soft

DDtC
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
I think one of the main things where driving some time to a show... Charged batteries and cool subs

DDtC
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
How do you guys set your gain and filters? Open them all the way up and try to find the sweet spot on the gain or open it up also?

mylows10
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
i play mine on the way to every show except to forbidden fantasy last year because my glue was drying on the recones of my subs,literally.just charge when you get there and no demoes till done.also it depends on which org your competing again ,all are different with mic placement .but the whole idea is to get the sound wave to the mic with the least resistance ,but in the case of mecca sometimes it is better to leave the seat up from what i see.try with the drivers seat flat and pass, seat up right and see how that works.

subzero
04-26-2012, 01:42 PM
How do you guys set your gain and filters? Open them all the way up and try to find the sweet spot on the gain or open it up also?

I do mine by tones-volt draw-impedance and adjust according to the meter . g

pro-rabbit
04-26-2012, 01:43 PM

This really depends on the setup. Your electrical will dictate a lot of what you can do as will the subs/enclosure setup. Some will increase while clipping, while others will lose when you even hint at clipping.

bgowdy31
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
i play mine on the way to every show except to forbidden fantasy last year because my glue was drying on the recones of my subs,literally.just charge when you get there and no demoes till done.also it depends on which org your competing again ,all are different with mic placement .but the whole idea is to get the sound wave to the mic with the least resistance ,but in the case of mecca sometimes it is better to leave the seat up from what i see.try with the drivers seat flat and pass, seat up right and see how that works.

the org i compete in is on music and its a average score threw the round(example: 45sec @ headrest), so for exp if the bass cuts out at any point in the 45secs your score drops so your truck has to hold the pressure. but ima have to try with my passenger seat flat.

ItsAJeepThing
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Like said earlier, every car will react difdernt but here ya go.

SPL Gains&#33 (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98191-spl-gains-updates-on-page-16-slot-flares/)&#33 (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=33) . Updates on page 16 (Slot flares) - SMD Forum

Davecubs14
04-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Beau boren posted this in a thread on another forum

vents open helps
visor arrangement
steering wheel arrangement
floor matts flipped over with the rubberside up
seat positioning
clean out your car if it has stuff in it
clean the dash, door panels and windows...armor all everything
evenr rearview mirror position
brace top of windsheild(from outside)
brace doors, hatch(from outside)
some crxs gained from geeting those heavy beaded seat cover things

I think you said sealed up(didn't read through) But I know if you can raise the rpm's up while burping...charge your batteries. Ground connections...toolmaker dual inputs. If you can open stuff, try different windows, one at a time. Door all the way open, and just the window open, door shut. Bracing in the box, steel rods. sub up/port up, sub back/port side. I gained almost a whole db going from sub and port back to all up in my suv. I love testing;)

Davecubs14
04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Another thing I thought of. I read somewhere that someone gained I believe .5 on the meter by cleaning his rca's.

97maxima
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Test,test,test is the only way i know how:cool:

05fronty
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
let a fat guy sit in the front pass seat

DDtC
04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
I can tell you in a event like meca park and pound i gained two by opening my sunroof. It was the same with others that tried it

R34P3R
04-27-2012, 09:05 PM
I've heard a little bit of crafty duct tape work can be beneficial.

TaylorFade
04-27-2012, 10:54 PM
THE most important thing in hunting tenths is consistancy. Make sure you are testing with similar conditions every time.

Pick a voltage and start there everytime. I test car off and on a charger. Burp, charge while I change something. Burp, charge, change, repeat.

Change ONE THING AT A TIME. If you're laying mat, lay 1sq ft at a time. I lost 3 tenths by laying one tile. Took it back out and got those .3 back. 1sq ft. Lol. If you're testing sun visors, do one at a time. Seats, one at a time. The "go to" seat position is usually both seats all the way forward and leaned up. My buddy forgot the passenger seat back on one burp... it was good for 5 tenths.

If you haven't already, find all of those stupid pressure vents to the outside and cover those dang things. Those can be huge.

There is a ton to be had. Between installing my finals box and actually running at finals I had found 1.7db. That's a lot, but it's in there. You just have to find it.