PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Enlcosure Q's

special0blend
03-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Okay, i have kinda read the basics about fiber glassing, but i have read just spare tire ones and kick panel articles. i want to make one that will replace my middle console in my dakota Reg. Cab. Im will just make the base a piece of wood and then i guess i would use wood dowels and then glue those up into the mdf rings. then would i cover that in fleece andd then glass. But when i lay the glass do i lay the glass then dab with resin or resin then lay the glass on top then dab more resin on??/ ....kinda confused.

thanks in advance.

Strecker25
03-21-2004, 12:58 AM
glassing is all about personal preferences and previous experiences, personally when i got a good tight fit with the fleece i will actually pour the resin onto the mold and just spread it out with a brush, just make sure the fleece gets saturated in all areas and the rest is up to you

special0blend
03-21-2004, 01:14 AM
when im applying the resin onto the fleece, do i use the hardener and resin or just resin. thanks

Gauntlet
03-21-2004, 03:12 AM
Resin and hardener. When saturating the fleece, you might want to use a little less than the recommended amount of hardener. You want the area you are working in to be thoroughly saturated before the hardening process begins, and if this process starts before it's saturated, you'd have to finish it working from the inside, which can be a pain depending on the shape of whatever you are building.

I'd suggest building a test piece or two first so you can get the hang of working with the material, learn how to apply it, find out what size batches you are comfortable working in, etc. etc.

jbl_marshall21
03-21-2004, 09:55 PM
fiberglass *****, but is worth it. i might try it again sometime. i wish my camera worked so i could show some pics.

ramos
03-23-2004, 10:46 AM
It doesn't ****, it just takes some practice and patience. Man I wish you guys were closer. It's so much easier to show somebody something than it is too explain on here. I myself can learn easier by seeing it done rather than reading how to do it. :)

Strecker25
03-23-2004, 11:18 PM
i agree i learn easily by seeing too but that sticky about kickpanels really tells alot, im not new to fiberglassing and i picked up some good tips there

give it a read