PDA

View Full Version : Racks on Racks on Racks

rock2593
04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
So I'm looking for someone who knows a little about building custom racks for my Sub/enclosure set up.

I am trying to add about 3 more inches to each side of my box for maximum width in my sedans trunk with the help of a custom rack because i am running into a little issue with two unnecessary bumps Infiniti decided to put in the trunks of there G35 sedans trunk... heres what it looks like now and then ill explain the details and dimensions. everything that is circled in green is the bump i am trying to get the frame to sit over....
Its kind of hard to see in the first picture but you can tell its a small bump that is causing me to lose about 3" of Width for each side of my enclosure

I can't put the racks any further to the right because as you can see the roof starts to carve inwards and takes on odd shapes and forms
Here you can tell that this would not be hard to fix with the proper equipment, its roughly 1" tall and yet i still can't get a sub up there because its on a slant.

Anyways, Here are the dimensions for the frame: width 31", Depth 16.75", and Height would be anywhere from 1-1.3"

audiobaun
04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Can you add that 3in, to the height,or depth rather by width??Be Same addition??

rock2593
04-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Height is already at a maximum of 18" without the racks...with racks my max height would be 16.5-17". as for depth i am trying to keep it at that number because trunk space is a necessity for me when I'm traveling....this is how much free space i have in my trunk now...

rock2593
04-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Can you add that 3in, to the height,or depth rather by width??Be Same addition??
However if i did not do the racks and kept it inside the bumps at 27.3" width x 18" Height x 16.75" depth would that still work?

I think I'm just imagining in my head if the width isn't to its fullest then theres just gonna be unnecessary space on each of the sides of my trunk...im very indecisive, hence this is why i head to the forums

Also i wasn't sure if i would have enough room for a width of 27.3" and have Two 12" subs in a ported box....asking for a lot in a little space thats why I'm thinking of so many different options

audiobaun
04-20-2012, 10:19 PM
In the pics..looks as if you are wanting the sub box in the rear portion of the trunk/Can you go /turn your box Vertical, and have the room you need?? Who says the sub box has to be rear center??That would give you room on either side??

audiobaun
04-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Take a dremel, tool and make nice neat/clean cuts..Cut them out!! Its plastic, and even on both sides will be done right?Unless you are Leasing the vehicle/do not own yet IMO.IDK,Its an inch and a half on each side you are wanting??I wouldnt even debate it any longer,and forget about that 1 1/2 inch,for each side, and move on.Just me though.

rock2593
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Its plastic, and even on both sides will be done right?Unless you are Leasing the vehicle/do not own yet IMO.IDK,Its an inch and a half on each side you are wanting??I wouldnt even debate it any longer,and forget about that 1 1/2 inch,for each side, and move on.Just me though.

Its part of the medal body frame so its not plastic....But take a look at this quick design i just did...
I feel like the Drivers themselves will be to close to each other and to the walls of the Enclosure...also i don't know where i would put a port.....why must they make their trunks so difficult!

rock2593
04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
or just completely fail in trying to make a box like this i designed....
This is if you were looking at the back of the enclosure

destined2race
04-20-2012, 11:12 PM
this is what i get for not looking at what category this thread is in... ya got me.

dirtyunclerandy
04-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make a leveling piece out of MDF and place the box on top of it. Also, didn't see what subs you will be running.

rock2593
04-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to make a leveling piece out of MDF and place the box on top of it. Also, didn't see what subs you will be running.
True about the MDF that wold probably be a lot easier...and i still l cannot decide which sub(s) i want...way to many different choices haha was thinking of getting two 12"s but don't know which ones....also have been looking into getting just a single driver like the IA 10" Death Row or a single ICON-10 D2. Many options are up in the air

dirtyunclerandy
04-20-2012, 11:55 PM
To save space, go with a single sub.

rock2593
04-20-2012, 11:59 PM
To save space, go with a single sub.
How much more space would i need for two 10"s or 12"s?

dirtyunclerandy
04-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Are you trying to go ported? 2 12's ported will eat up around half your trunk space. If I recall correctly, your trunk is pretty small.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Yeah i was going to try and go ported... and yeah your right my trunk is small but what it is at right now is just unacceptable...so I'm not to worried about giving up that extra inch or two...the length of my entire trunk is 36", the smallest width, which i am going to have to use to be able to fit my box to the back of my trunk is 27.3"W and the max height is 18"

dirtyunclerandy
04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
27.3" width x 18" Height x 16.75" depth should give you around 3.7 cubes using 3/4 mdf. I would say find one nice twelve or two tens ported. Recommend Moble Enclosurs for a design.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 01:33 AM
27.3" width x 18" Height x 16.75" depth should give you around 3.7 cubes using 3/4 mdf. I would say find one nice twelve or two tens ported. Recommend Moble Enclosurs for a design.

Yeah so far people have only been recommending single twelves, i kind of wanna look at some dual 10"s as well just to keep my options open...got two offers on two different of my products so it looks like imma be buying some new equipment soon! gotta make sure I'm Doin it right this time

rock2593
04-21-2012, 02:33 AM

For the one 12 you don't think theres gonna be enough room to make that fit

dirtyunclerandy
04-21-2012, 02:36 AM
1 12 or 2 10s. Figure a 12 will be around 2.5 cubes before port and sub displacement.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 02:44 AM
i could go for some 10's. never a bad choice...but i just have no idea what sub to get. I'm littlerly going everything

dirtyunclerandy
04-21-2012, 02:51 AM
What type of music do you like? Looking to get loud or clean or both? budget?

rock2593
04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
-i like to listen to my music pretty loud, especially when i have all the windows rolled down i like to crank it up as much as my speakers allow me before SQ becomes an issue especially with my stock door speakers(which i plan to upgrade as well). But i generally listen to a variety of rap, Hip hop, dubstep, and house music.

-for subwoofers I'm looking for a sub thats loud and clean that will put a little more 'oomph' in the bass compared to the two i have now(two Alpine type-e's in a sealed box). I don't need a sub thats solely SPL and will just gonna rattle the heck out of my car if you know what i mean. But, Im looking for a sub that produces good SPL and also great SQ. one thing i like is some good SQ, I'm not looking for a sub thats just gonna blow my brains out and shake all my windows and doors, but definitely one that will still pound (more than two i have now) and produce good clear audio.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 03:36 PM
What type of music do you like? Looking to get loud or clean or both? budget?

-i like to listen to my music pretty loud, especially when i have all the windows rolled down i like to crank it up as much as my speakers allow me before SQ becomes an issue especially with my stock door speakers(which i plan to upgrade as well). But i generally listen to a variety of rap, Hip hop, dubstep, and house music.

-for subwoofers I'm looking for a sub thats loud and clean that will put a little more 'oomph' in the bass compared to the two i have now(two Alpine type-e's in a sealed box). I don't need a sub thats solely SPL and will just gonna rattle the heck out of my car if you know what i mean. But, Im looking for a sub that produces good SPL and also great SQ. one thing i like is some good SQ, I'm not looking for a sub thats just gonna blow my brains out and shake all my windows and doors, but definitely one that will still pound (more than two i have now) and produce good clear audio.

**Not quite sure what my budget is for the subs because I'm trying to upgrade a bunch of different things as well....subs are my first thing to buy so budget shouldn't be an issue

VisceralSound
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Looking at the max specs you could technically fit a sub up 15 in the trunk, my trunks about that size, but anyways.

Check out two Skar vvx10's 600rms/each but I've been pushing my vvx15 @1ohm with no problems, but set gains correctly (they can take well over rated)

VisceralSound
Looking at the max specs you could technically fit a sub up 15 in the trunk, my trunks about that size, but anyways.

Check out two Skar vvx10's 600rms/each but I've been pushing my vvx15 @1ohm with no problems, but set gains correctly (they can take well over rated)

wenn_du_weinst
this entire debacle could have been avoided by using the right size subwoofers for your trunk.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Yeah those look pretty awesome as well...im definitely not someone who's gonna be going to competitions and stuff like that haha...im definitely just looking for a daily sub that i can use everyday and still be very pleased with its output

VisceralSound
04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah those look pretty awesome as well...im definitely not someone who's gonna be going to competitions and stuff like that haha...im definitely just looking for a daily sub that i can use everyday and still be very pleased with its output
And those vvx10's will do it for you, My 15 has great sound quality in a bunch of freq. ranges for the size of box its in, I'm sure you'd be happy with a smaller ported box of 10's in your car.

rock2593
04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah i would agree I'm probably gonna do the two tens....looking at this picture...do you think i should place the drivers closer together to allow more space between each driver and the side wall? and where do you think i should put the ports. In my opinion they always look good on the front, but can you put them on the sides of the box? i guess i needa figure out the size of my port as well haha

rock2593
04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
And those vvx10's will do it for you, My 15 has great sound quality in a bunch of freq. ranges for the size of box its in, I'm sure you'd be happy with a smaller ported box of 10's in your car.

Forgot to add the picture in the previous post haha... anyways...

Yeah i would agree I'm probably gonna do the two tens....looking at this picture...do you think i should place the drivers closer together to allow more space between each driver and the side wall? and where do you think i should put the ports. In my opinion they always look good on the front, but can you put them on the sides of the box? i guess i needa figure out the size of my port as well haha

VisceralSound
04-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Jason Moble Enclosurs could probably chime in, hes my goto guy for boxes.

VisceralSound
04-21-2012, 04:32 PM

matt_bennett05
04-21-2012, 04:43 PM
1 killer single sub setup with plenty of power and maybe a nice batt, amp, processors rack?

rock2593
04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Im an idiot!!
I can't believe i just remembered this now...the bottom part of my boxes depth is different than the top depth because the back side of the enclosure is slanted to match the angle of my trunk....
so the dimensions would be 27.3" Width x 18" height x 16.75"(bottom depth) and 13.26"(top depth).
so im not sue if that is going to be effecting any of my sub choices but I'm sure its gonna change the volume of my enclosure

rock2593
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Alright awesome thanks...imma email some people later today after i get some exam studying in :pissed:
thanks for the input

rock2593
04-21-2012, 08:27 PM
this entire debacle could have been avoided by using the right size subwoofers for your trunk.

which are?

Moble Enclosurs
04-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey it's me :D I have not been able to post much in a while due to design and build work being completed. BUT yea, email me, unless already done, about your issues and hopefully I can help out. I have not read the thread yet, because I jsut wanted to chime in and say I am available if you need to ask specific questions, so email me and we can go over what the issue is as well as those who are helping you on here.