PDA

View Full Version : Which is better??

anolen
04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Right now I have 2 12" infitity subs rated at 300w each in a sealed box. The guy told me the amp was 900 peak and it may be but rms is only pushing out 350. All of this is in a 1991 mustang GT hatch. I was thinking of getting a single kicker L7 in a ported box and getting a zx-750 to power it, but I've heard that ported boxes in a hatch might "flutter" Would this set up be louder/clearer than what I have now? Other options would be sealed L7

05trailblazer
04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
why l7? you how much space do you need?

anolen
04-14-2012, 07:56 PM
I just know those are good subs, one of my friends has one in a sealed box in his single cab truck and it sounds great

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I just know those are good subs, one of my friends has one in a sealed box in his single cab truck and it sounds great

They are OK not good.. And only OK if they are in HUGE ported boxes. If you think it sounds great stick around here and do some thread reading, you will find stuff that sounds so much better with equal or better output with out needing a HUGE box

anolen
04-14-2012, 08:12 PM
Well for how much I can spend an L7 is probably all I'll be able to get for now. But it should at least sound better than what I have right now?

pro-rabbit
04-14-2012, 08:16 PM
What is your budget? If you are buying new then there is a long list that will be available for a similar price.

JL Audio
04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Well for how much I can spend an L7 is probably all I'll be able to get for now. But it should at least sound better than what I have right now?

or you just have your mind set to " omg L7s blow out muh windowz " which is typical of unknowing people who just hear something and want it regardless.

look into Skar audio and sundown audio, the vvx for skar and the e series and sa series for sundown, the soundsolution audio dcon is also a nice choice.. and those should be under what the normal person can pick up an L7 for by a good margin.

anolen
04-14-2012, 08:44 PM
for the budget I could probably spend 400. Im selling my current system to a friend for a good deal when I get whatever it will be. Im looking at this KICKER LOADED ENCLOSURE SYSTEM S12L7 & VENTED SUB BOX | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330714112595) and finding a kicker zx-750 off craigslist or something. Just want good crisp sound and I know that kicker has good quality, not trying to rattle my car to pieces or anything

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 08:46 PM
for the budget I could probably spend 400. Im selling my current system to a friend for a good deal when I get whatever it will be. Im looking at this KICKER LOADED ENCLOSURE SYSTEM S12L7 & VENTED SUB BOX | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330714112595) and finding a kicker zx-750 off craigslist or something. Just want good crisp sound and I know that kicker has good quality, not trying to rattle my car to pieces or anything

Thats the thing people are trying to say in a nice way.. Kicker is not crisp or quality

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
And that box is way to small for that sub to sound even decent

pro-rabbit
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM

I wouldn't use that enclosure myself.

To be honest if you spending $275 for a sub and enclosure, your better buying a better sub and building your own enclosure. The enclosure paired with that L7 is far from what it requires to operate correctly.

kushy_dreams
04-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Ditch the sealed box and cheap amp. Sealed boxes are very restrictive when it comes to output.

JL Audio
I say it like it is broski, people are being polite.

We are trying to help you since you apparently have no real idea what many audio related things do/are for...

don't worry about a system right now, take time and read the forums and learn before wasting money and such on a system as it'll only make it cost more for you in the end.

anolen
What is the minimum cubic feet that it should be? I dont have too much room in the back of that mustang, so it may be hard to find something

wenn_du_weinst
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
They are OK not good.. And only OK if they are in HUGE ported boxes. If you think it sounds great stick around here and do some thread reading, you will find stuff that sounds so much better with equal or better output with out needing a HUGE box
um I was doing 150's on music with 2 15 l7's on 2500rms. they are good subs and don't need a huge box at all I was 7ft.

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
2.5 internal.. not counting port area.. About the same size a round 15 needs

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
um I was doing 150's on music with 2 15 l7's on 2500rms. they are good subs and don't need a huge box at all I was 7ft.

Cool story. You are the master!!!

anolen
04-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Okay well I have some idea, but I'm not trying to win any competitions or anything either. All I really want to know now is if the L7 would be better quality than my infinity's

pro-rabbit
04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
The L7 is not all that bad of a sub. I just wound't buy it with a pre-fab enclosure. You are just wasting your money. They do like larger enclosures, but it can be worked around to some extent, but you would have buy a custom enclosure or build it yourself.

wenn_du_weinst
04-14-2012, 08:57 PM
Cool story. You are the master!!!
What I am getting at is there is no reason to rag on a certain sub just because it is ''mainstream''
The stupidity on forums is astounding when it comes to that. What's going to happen in a couple years when Sundown is mainstream are people going to throw their equipment away because it now ''*****''?

Actually come to think of it yes they probably will.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

The L7 is not all that bad of a sub. I just wound't buy it with a pre-fab enclosure. You are just wasting your money. They do like larger enclosures, but it can be worked around to some extent, but you would have buy a custom enclosure or build it yourself.

exactly, it's not a heavy hitter but it is cheap and decent enough to run if you want one.

JL Audio
04-14-2012, 09:00 PM
What I am getting at is there is no reason to rag on a certain sub just because it is ''mainstream''
The stupidity on forums is astounding when it comes to that. What's going to happen in a couple years when Sundown is mainstream are people going to throw their equipment away because it now ''*****''?

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

exactly, it's not a heavy hitter but it is cheap and decent enough to run if you want one.

Sundown is pretty mainstream to an extent, the local shop in the next city over has a few of their subs an some Deathrows that were traded in, i've asked around at the local club meets of people and no one knows them though so I dunno who traded them in, only thing they could have traded them for was AB as that is all the shop carried besides alpine and kenwood.

NoLoud4U
04-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Im not ragging on it cause its mainstream... Im ragging on it because I have never heard one set up right. Maybe thats what I need to do.. Go searching for a properly set up L7? That will be a quest Im sure. If Sundown keeps going they will be mainstream before you know it

kushy_dreams
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
If Sundown keeps going they will be mainstream before you know it

I'm beginning to fear this as well. I keep seeing all these improvements and fancy tooling and little things to dress up the product and I just see an increased product cost. I mean its good that there are companies that get successful and bought out. But great success can cause you to loose focus on your customer's needs and it has hurt companies in the past. But I'm sure the owner is aware of this.

whitedragon551
04-14-2012, 09:34 PM

Sundown is mainstream. Onlinecarstereo sells it.

wenn_du_weinst
04-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Sundown is mainstream. Onlinecarstereo sells it.

It's no where near RF, kicker, Jl, ect.

audiobaun
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Take a look at the SSA ICON, and DCON subs,In a Mustang ,Just one of those will sound pretty good ported in approx 1.6-1.8 cu ft 3/4MDF box, and find a decent sub amp, like an Autotek BTS 7100, or bigger ,and run 2ohms will bang pretty good,Even an old school RF Punch 45/75/150/Hifonics VII,VIII Odin,Cyclops,Hercules,US Acoustics USX 2150.But One Goon 10/12 will sound better than the 2-12s you got now.Even a Dayton HO will be /sound really good in a good /well made box.Do some homework, and ask questions before deciding quickly on a sub,and work with the most that you can with the airspace you are giving for a sub/subs.I have an old school Autotek BTS 7050 that will put the Kicker amp you are asking about to rest @2ohms/slamm it out of the water with power, and sq..ask around.That little amp will push a pair of 600rms 10 @2ohms with authority @12-1 Oclock position:boink: