PDA

View Full Version : infinite baffle Blow through

wenn_du_weinst
04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
anybody have pics or build log of one?
Seems like it would be perfect and I did happen to find a cheap avalanche.

Phoenix Risen
04-13-2012, 08:53 PM
it could be interesting, a lot of potential for fail though.

wenn_du_weinst
04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I think it would be pretty **** nice, Best thing is with an avalanche it could easily be swapped out if I actually needed the bed for something. I don't know how the factory tonneau cover would hod up though.

keep_hope_alive
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
My accord is the same concept. Just make a strengthened rectangular opening you can bolt a baffle to.

Main concern with a truck is to ensure the bed can flex independently of the cab, if the vehicle was designed to do that.

An Avalanche, I've thought the same thing, but then you'd have an Avalanche.

04murdalanche
04-24-2012, 03:22 PM
i had an avalanche.. seal inbetween the cab and where the bed cover stops, leaks.. happens to all the avalanches. *****.. i had a "blow-through" in my avalanche. but my box was herculinered so i didnt have to worry about water really..

IB would be sick though, would look BAD *** when you opened the tail gate

Bettr n' Revrse
04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Ehhhh idk why you wouldnt just do a normal blow through...

wenn_du_weinst
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

because nothing beats infinite baffle when it comes to sound

04murdalanche
04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

i could GAF about SQ for the most part. lol, would rather just get some w6's and call it a day with a SQ blowthrough, kinda contradicts itself but to each its own:eek:

04murdalanche
04-24-2012, 03:30 PM

ive never heard a IB set up, wonder what its like

Bettr n' Revrse
04-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Well yes that is true... You could get quite a bit of cone area in there as well...

wenn_du_weinst
04-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Well yes that is true... You could get quite a bit of cone area in there as well...

2 18's is what I'd do. probably 1800rms.

CAT MAN
04-24-2012, 04:01 PM
pretty **** sick. i was surprised when i heard my first about 4 years ago.

2 18's is whaty I'd do. probably 1800rms.
in an avalanche? never done a blowthrough on one but i dont think the bed is high enough for 18s could be wrong

wenn_du_weinst
04-24-2012, 04:03 PM
yep, I know people who did 4th orders with 18's in there.

keep_hope_alive
04-24-2012, 07:11 PM

no one has. doesn't exist. :) nothing we build is infinite at subsonic frequencies. we just call it that when the rear airspace is such that the T/S parameters of the subwoofer correlate to allow the woofer to reproduce sound without the affects of an "enclosure".

i have a trunk baffle setup (usually called IB). i can say that the sound with trunk open vs closed is VASTLY different. output is much higher with the trunk open. I have done some dual mic testing (one in cabin, one in trunk). I need to do more testing. should be a neat write-up.

with a truck you would be a bit closer to IB given that there would be free airspace at the rear. but you do get a wrap-around back into the cabin through the roof/windows.

true IB would be a sub in the middle of a 3' thick concrete wall that was several thousand feet in every direction. :)

wenn_du_weinst
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
yeah, I meant as close as possible. I had a set up like you have in my mustang I loved how it sounded. Now that you mention it I did sound better trunk open.

keep_hope_alive
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
trunk open reduces reflections which will make it back to the cone - which affect it and also making it into the cabin. woofer cone's are usually fairly transparent and sound is free to pass right through them. that is why a flat reflecting plane behind the driver is a bad idea.

the single biggest challenge with any speaker build (home/pro/car) is controlling the rear wave, IMO.

04murdalanche
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
pretty **** sick. i was surprised when i heard my first about 4 years ago.

in an avalanche? never done a blowthrough on one but i dont think the bed is high enough for 18s could be wrong

tilt them back at an angle and youd be fine for sure. my 15s are on a 45 degree angle and my box is 3 inches from the top of my bed.

CAT MAN
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
yeah, I meant as close as possible. I had a set up like you have in my mustang I loved how it sounded. Now that you mention it I did sound better trunk open.
in an avalanche you can leave the cover off for a true IB ;) just find some good marine subs if you plan on being in the rain lol

tilt them back at an angle and youd be fine for sure. my 15s are on a 45 degree angle and my box is 3 inches from the top of my bed. yeah i realize there is room now

04murdalanche
04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Hahaha CAT MAN your avatars always make me lol