PDA

View Full Version : Which box to use?

lawrenq
04-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Hello I need help deciding on what kind of enclosure to go with in my 96 impala. I have two re audio *** 10s and I'm thinking about getting a ported box built into the rear deck. Another option is getting a 4th order bandpass that fires directly into the cabin. I'm getting a shop to do this but I wonder which one will be the loudest. I went with the 10s because I wanted a box built into the rear deck and that's all that will fit without using actuators for the trunk.

If I go with a 4th order, should I uphrade to 12s since they are the same price?

Moble Enclosurs
04-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Sounds like a nice project!
The only thing with the re audio xxxs and other re audio models, is that they can be peaky drivers. So putting them in a 4th order will require quite a bit of planning to make sure you do not have a sealed box response with a huge peak around the amplifiers low pass frequency cutoff point or below.
So, if you are doing a 4th, it may be recommended to offset the subs to make sure they couple with the vehicle for a smoother response if you have the room.
Naturally, 4ths can require quite a bit of space so make sure that you have the room for either a large ported chamber, or a longer port path if offsetting the sub into the enclosures port.

Interested in seeing what you come up with or end up doing.

cyn
04-09-2012, 03:01 AM
I don't see you getting 2 12"s in a 4th in that trunk honestly unless its a 1:1 or maybe if lucky 1:2 on it.
My 4th in my 03 impala was 4.5cubes total. for a single 12" and that 4.5 cubes is after displacement I think total it was somewhere around 5-5.2 cubes gross.
and I would suggest a better sub than the RE unless its the older model XXX

Moble Enclosurs
04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't see you getting 2 12"s in a 4th in that trunk honestly unless its a 1:1 or maybe if lucky 1:2 on it.
My 4th in my 03 impala was 4.5cubes total. for a single 12" and that 4.5 cubes is after displacement I think total it was somewhere around 5-5.2 cubes gross.
and I would suggest a better sub than the RE unless its the older model XXX

Very much agreed. For what you are looking for.