PDA

View Full Version : Single ported Sundown E-12 tuning

ThirtyHz
04-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey, I am looking to build an enclosure for one Sundown E-12 in the near future. I plan on putting it into a 2.5 cubic foot enclosure. (PWK recommends an enclosure for the E-12 of at least 60L (~2.1 cu ft) for a more linear response) I also want to use a 4" aeroport (precision port) 10.25 inches long for a tuning of 32 Hz. I think my question is, would it be alright to tune this box to 30 Hz? All it would require is 12 of port length compared to the ten and a quarter. I'm just slightly confused because I have heard not to tune too far below a subs res. freq. because it might cause roll-off right at the tuning. If it sounds stupid, that's because I read it once somewhere on a forum haha. The E-12 has an Fs of ~35.8 Hz. If anyone is wondering what this setup will be used for/what is expected of it is... a daily setup, that will hammer lows. Sure I want to get as loud as I can doing this, but I have zero concern for numbers (db). It will be fed 500w from a RF prime 500.1. If there are any other things I forgot to mention that might help in determining if I should tune lower, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Kangaroux
04-08-2012, 12:33 AM
How low do you listen to? Most people don't play anything below 27hz which you can still play just fine with a 32hz tuning. It gets to a point where tuning lower doesn't really give you any extra low end, it just starts to take away from your high end and you lose a lot of output.

jeremyg1
04-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I am currently running a sundown e12 in a 1.5 cubic foot net tuned to 33 and I have nothing but good things to say about this driver. It is powered by a jl audio 500/1. I listen to all kinds of music and it always does a great job whether its some crazy dual kick drum metal or some crazy low end from bass test CDs.

duanebro
04-08-2012, 08:59 AM
While you don't need to go lower, if you want to do it should be easy to change later.

ThirtyHz
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
The lowest stuff I listen to is dubstep, prob doesn't ever get lower than 25 Hz. Another question is, is a single 4 inch aero enough? I know a 6 is too much, and 2 4's is pushing it. I guess the best person to ask is Jacob himself.