PDA

View Full Version : McIntosh fronts?

BoominEclipse
03-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Anyone heard their car audio speakers? I've heard they are some of the best around. I've seen the home audio stuff.

How do these rate with the top end lines from say MB Quart, Focal, Diamond, Boston Acoustics, etc?

Thanks

Shugarra
03-17-2004, 03:10 AM
I know their decks and amps are top notch, didn't know they had any speakers though.

Alex Smith
06-28-2004, 02:04 PM
I own seven sets of McIntosh speakers -- two sets of msx485, an msx486, two sets of msx487, and one each of mss470 and mss471. I'm still looking for an 8" McIntosh sub (all I have room for in my car). The speakers that are hooked up (four sets and a Polk Audio subwoofer) are run through a McIntosh head unit and McIntosh amps (1000 watts of real power, not that peak garbage, .005% distortion at any power level and at any frequency). I cannot imagine speakers sounding better than my McIntosh's do. With clean power and a good digitally recorded CD (I can turn up Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" all the way and it is so loud it hurts), the sound is crystal clear with no lousy, booming bass, although you can hear clear music from over 100ft away with the windows rolled up.

I have never heard the premium MB Quart speakers that are about $500 a pair on ebay, but they can't be much better than the McIntosh speakers I have bought on eBay for as little as $100 a pair, max about $200 a pair.

I hope this helps.

-Alex

PV Audio
06-28-2004, 02:24 PM
lol when i saw that, i thought u were my friend. my best friends name is alex smith. and hes trying to learn about audio. but if u know about mb quarts, and hes asking me whats the loudest bass speaker in the world, ur not him lol.