PDA

View Full Version : Port Painting tips?

throatrattling
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Did my first box build this past weekend and painting the port proved to be an obstacle :uhoh:

Just wondering what the best method is.. I originally painted the pieces ahead of time. Taped off, 2 light coats of primer, and 4/5 coats of paint. However, after applying glue, and sealing the joints it's really hard to get in and sand and apply another few coats once it's all assembled to get a nice finish. Just wondering if you guys have any tips.. thanks in advance. :respekt:

groundpound4200
04-04-2012, 01:19 PM
what are you painting it with? Rattle can or a brush?

throatrattling
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
rattle

Imtjnotu
04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
if ur going to an even look sand down first with like 300 grit.....u can primer if u want it will help alot

if not just start with a small light even coat and let it sit for a good ten minutes then do another coat let that sit for ten also to atleast let it soak in...

then from 6 inches away go from side to side spraying in coats always let a coat dry fully before u go to the next one and dont go heavy or else it will start to run or u will get paint blotches

edit: u already did all that hahaha

and u should have finished painting before u put it all together hahaha

wenn_du_weinst
04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Sanding bare mdf does nothing, you need filler primer or some other surface to fill in the mdf before painting. I'm guessing you have a skinny slot port? I'd just spray as far back as possible, chances are you won't see much unless at eye level.

DonH
04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Sanding bare mdf does nothing, you need filler primer or some other surface to fill in the mdf before painting. I'm guessing you have a skinny slot port? I'd just spray as far back as possible, chances are you won't see much unless at eye level.

yup :)

gotta hit it with filler primer before hand. no such thing as to much primer either guys.