PDA

View Full Version : F-150 Raptor enclosure

SVTraptor
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience building a box for an F150 Raptor? I ordered a 2012 supercrew and am looking into how I will approach the box that will go under the seats. I would like to get a ported box but I'm not sure if there is enough room for it. A single 10" or 12" would work.

I don't have any preferences in sub's just yet. I want something that is loud but I want to try to get this with one ported 10" or 12" or maybe two sealed 10"s

Does anyone have any advice they can share? I assume it would be the same for any supercrew F150 2009 and obove. . .

Bettr n' Revrse
04-03-2012, 10:19 PM
You bought one of those **** things? Lol... Ya they will be the same only thing different from a regular F 150 is some suspension and the body...

MisterDeadeye
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
You bought one of those **** things? Lol... Ya they will be the same only thing different from a regular F 150 is some suspension and the body...

And the 6.2L V8?

JDuhaime309
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
You say that like its a bad truck? They are setup to go run in the baja straight off the factory floor. They are actually one of the best trucks on the market next to the Dodge power wagon. I own a 2011 Dodge Power Wagon and have test driven the Raptor, very nice truck. But I like my winch.

SVTraptor
04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I like the fight here, but lets keep it on topic. I've tried to research, but I am very tired. I can get more involved tomorrow. But forums are for asking questions right?

Anyone have any designs for a ported box for a "same only thing different from a regular F 150 is some suspension and the body" F150?

JDuhaime309
04-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I have not seen the super cabs yet on the raptors. But If you have the space, a transmission line with 2 8"s would work great.

splwj47
04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
hit up one of the builders on here and give them ur demensions and they will help you out and design u a enclosure.

SVTraptor
04-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I have not seen the super cabs yet on the raptors. But If you have the space, a transmission line with 2 8"s would work great.

First, I have been out of car audio since my GTO in 2008. I don't even know what a transmission line is. I will have to Google it.

hit up one of the builders on here and give them ur demensions and they will help you out and design u a enclosure.

Second, I do not have the truck and have not been able to find them online. I've been to some Raptor forums and no one has been nice enough to provide me with the dimensions.

I am trying to get something going before the 6-8 weeks the truck gets in. Hence why I am here asking for the advice. Oh and :)

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Dude, those Ford raptors are fuckin BOSS. And I hate ford. So that says alot.

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Dude, those Ford raptors are fuckin BOSS. And I hate ford. So that says alot.

Help me out with some ideas for a setup and I'll let ya drive it when I get it :O

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Help me out with some ideas for a setup and I'll let ya drive it when I get it :O

Hey now.. Im in Minnesota so I might take you up on that if i see ya!

I love fast trucks.. had a dakota with a 5.9 in it that thing was too fast for how light it was

Anyways, here is my take:

Under the seats of the new f150s there is hardly ANY room for subs. And if you do end up doing it, I doubt you will ever be happy with the output.

My solution? Most people dont like it, but its without a doubt gonna get you the best SQ and SPL.

Get a efficient single 12, in a small ported box. Wire up your amp under the seat out of sight and have the two wires coming up.. Set the box on your rear set man.

You could still fit two people in the back even with the sub on the seat. So realistically, if you ever DO have a crew of 3 people in the back, simply uplug the two wires from the box and lift the little sub out and put it in the bed/garage. Easy. When youre done, pop it back on your seat and plug in two wires.

dirtyunclerandy
04-04-2012, 12:22 AM
check out supercrewsound.com. They have pre-fab boxes so you can get an idea on the dimensions that will fit. I would say a pair of tens or a few 8's would be your best option.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-04-2012, 12:48 AM
And the 6.2L V8?

You can get those in a regular F-150 as well...

You say that like its a bad truck? They are setup to go run in the baja straight off the factory floor. They are actually one of the best trucks on the market next to the Dodge power wagon. I own a 2011 Dodge Power Wagon and have test driven the Raptor, very nice truck. But I like my winch.

I can run my stock Honda in the Baja too lol... It's literally just has some fox racing goodies on it nothing else really amazing... They are awesome don't get me wrong but for the price it's insane cuz you can get the same gear on a regular trucks for less... The Powerwagon isn't even the same type of truck so idk why you would compare them?

I like the fight here, but lets keep it on topic. I've tried to research, bMut I am very tired. I can get more involved tomorrow. But forums are for asking questions right?

Anyone have any designs for a ported box for a "same only thing different from a regular F 150 is some suspension and the body" F150?

No of the builders on hear do anythig with user the seat since there are so many variables... They do make prefab sealed boxes though just have to get the right sub to work well with limited space...

No offense OP they are cool trucks they just don't have much of a purpose to me is all... But hey if you have the money hell ya might as well!

MisterDeadeye
04-04-2012, 12:51 AM
You can get those in a regular F-150 as well...

:crap:

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 01:23 AM
I can tell you that a tline will not be anymore efficient in that space than a sealed enclosure due to loading requirements of a tline. But definitely stick with a single driver for more enclosure room. Best bet, if possible, is to utilize a center console idea or something that will flush the floorboard with only about 5-6 inches up with a downfire idea for a single 10 or dual 8s.
Limiting your potential to that space alone will cause a lot of work and investigating to make sure you get something worth the purchase.
Also, try to utilize a shallow mount design regardless of the difference in power transfer and xmax parameters, because those will be less sensitive in a truck space anyhow to the idea you want to utilize. So, get a shallow driver with around a 10mm xmax and one that allows for a smooth response in a small compression chamber, and load the hell out of it with a port, if used, to make up for low end sensitivity loss. Usually, anything that has an ebp of around 47 will do wonders in that environment, But others if calculated can get surprising results.
Best to have someone model some ideas up with different drivers to see what will work.
P.s. I'm here if you need me so pm me or email me anytime. I offer custom designs and may be able to help get one that will work in that space or offer other options when available.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-04-2012, 01:34 AM
:crap:

?

I can tell you that a tline will not be anymore efficient in that space than a sealed enclosure due to loading requirements of a tline. But definitely stick with a single driver for more enclosure room. Best bet, if possible, is to utilize a center console idea or something that will flush the floorboard with only about 5-6 inches up with a downfire idea for a single 10 or dual 8s.
Limiting your potential to that space alone will cause a lot of work and investigating to make sure you get something worth the purchase.
Also, try to utilize a shallow mount design regardless of the difference in power transfer and xmax parameters, because those will be less sensitive in a truck space anyhow to the idea you want to utilize. So, get a shallow driver with around a 10mm xmax and one that allows for a smooth response in a small compression chamber, and load the hell out of it with a port, if used, to make up for low end sensitivity loss. Usually, anything that has an ebp of around 47 will do wonders in that environment, But others if calculated can get surprising results.
Best to have someone model some ideas up with different drivers to see what will work.
P.s. I'm here if you need me so pm me or email me anytime. I offer custom designs and may be able to help get one that will work in that space or offer other options when available.

This guy can help you out with any biox questions you have...

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Ford stopped making real trucks in 1979, how did you actually buy one?

brodeisel
04-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Can not tell if real truck or fake.

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Can not tell if real truck or fake.

Im sure its real, real piece of **** plastic excuse for a truck. Ill snatch the rear end out from under it with my lawnmower.

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Ford stopped making real trucks in 1979, how did you actually buy one?

lol some body is poor and wishes they could afford a nice truck eh

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice! Ill look into a shallow mount 12 or maybe even a 10 depending on how big of a box I can get in there. I can take up both sides of the seat, that is not a problem. I will not set anything on the back seat nor have the box come up to the center console. I would rather loose bass than space.

I'll get back to you once I find a shallow sub that I like.

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
lol some body is poor and wishes they could afford a nice truck eh

Lol, somebody is dumb as hell and wishes they had the skill to maintain an older vehicle eh?

http://z.about.com/d/4wheeldrive/1/0/F/b/79ford.jpg

Nut Hair Trick
04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
I believe the Raptors have more space under the seats than my 2007 Supercrew did. I had 2 upfiring DD 8's on the driver side / ported to the passenger side. Sounded great to me.

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I've done some research and found out that they make a shallow mount Type R. I don't know anything about the current culture of what's hot what's not and any bandwagon stuff. I just know the Type R has always been loud as hell and they've always served me well.

Does anyone have any experience with the shallow Type R?

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Lol, somebody is dumb as hell and wishes they had the skill to maintain an older vehicle eh?

I would maybe like that if my neck was red, and I beat my wife. I can see maybe if i had a mullet I'd cruise around drinking a few brews in it, but ONLY if i had a mullet.

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I've done some research and found out that they make a shallow mount Type R. I don't know anything about the current culture of what's hot what's not and any bandwagon stuff. I just know the Type R has always been loud as hell and they've always served me well.

Does anyone have any experience with the shallow Type R?

Now now children. Can we stay on topic and converse about the above?

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 03:03 PM
OK. It looks like I will be going with a single, 12" shallow mount Type R with an amp around 750 watts. Does anyone know if a ported box would work under the seat of a Supercrew F150?

DoesDad
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
The only thing I don't like about the Type R shallows it the price! Ouch! They are supposed to be nice though. Sundown makes a shallow sub as well. It's the SD series. Since you haven't been into the whole "audio" thing since 08' they are the new boner around town. Here's a link:Sundown Audio SD-2 12" D2 500 Watt Dual 2 Ohm SD Series (http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SD%252d2-12%22-D2-500-Watt-Dual-2-Ohm-SD-Series.html)
Can't tell you if these or the R's are better cause I haven't heard either in person. But the Sundowns are cheaper and they're a good company.

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 03:27 PM
The type R may be better in this case due to the needed room still of the sundowns to get a flatter response curve. BUT, good catch! Great drivers also. As far as if the shallows WILL work, OP, its design dependent and needs to be figured for DURING a design process if you are really looking to get it right.

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I can tell just from reading in the past 24 hours that Sundown is the new thing. reminds me of RE back in the 06 or so day. I can get the shallow Type R for around 250 shipped so I think I will go for that.

Mobile Enclosures, could you design me a ported box for under the seat of a supercrew F150?

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
As long as the design works yes. My designs are to be purchased if that is something you are interested in investing in. If the design proves to be applicable, I can get you the prints for it, but if we find that it may not suit your needs or may have too many constraints, we can find another driver to use. either way, a design can be finished one way or another for any vehicle with the right materials and knowledge. Shoot me an email at mobileenclosures@gmail and I can talk to you about your options.

Buck
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I bet there really isn't too much space under there. I agree with Moble, don't limit yourself. But then again this is a brand new truck so getting invasive with a box wouldn't be what most people would do.

IonRL205
04-04-2012, 03:50 PM

they have rednecks in NC?

I would take an F150 raptor over that lifted hunk of metal any and every day of the week.

SVTraptor
04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
As long as the design works yes. My designs are to be purchased if that is something you are interested in investing in. If the design proves to be applicable, I can get you the prints for it, but if we find that it may not suit your needs or may have too many constraints, we can find another driver to use. either way, a design can be finished one way or another for any vehicle with the right materials and knowledge. Shoot me an email at mobileenclosures@gmail and I can talk to you about your options.

I will be in touch. The only thing that ***** is, I can't do any measuring before I get the truck. I was wanting to get a box built before the truck came in. . .

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

I would take an F150 raptor over that lifted hunk of metal any and every day of the week.

You must not know what a real truck is, but then again you drive a saturn.

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 08:32 PM

You must not know what a real truck is, but then again you drive a saturn.

Moble Enclosurs
04-05-2012, 02:02 AM
I will be in touch. The only thing that ***** is, I can't do any measuring before I get the truck. I was wanting to get a box built before the truck came in. . .

understandable. What you could possibly do is, but I would less recommended it than waiting, google some companies that may sell prefabs for it in that space and go by the exterior measurements there and tailor the response and such to your liking and specifics. Just an option

kyleorsini
04-05-2012, 03:26 AM

funny how they say that but ive read about lots of frames being bent/twisted. havent read much into it cuz i could care less but funny none the less.

Bettr n' Revrse
04-05-2012, 04:43 AM
understandable. What you could possibly do is, but I would less recommended it than waiting, google some companies that may sell prefabs for it in that space and go by the exterior measurements there and tailor the response and such to your liking and specifics. Just an option

Thats what I would do since Im am almost 100% positive its the same for the regular models...

funny how they say that but ive read about lots of frames being bent/twisted. havent read much into it cuz i could care less but funny none the less.

Yep 10 out of 14 initial test trucks... Engineer said they where driven too fast

SVTraptor
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM

I wonder how come I couldn't think of that. Thanks man, that's a good start.

SVTraptor
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM

Yeah you can't really predict operator error. There were 4 total issues throughout all of the Raptors sold in 10, 11 and 12 until a Nevada run where 10 people had bent frames. The video of their run shows them hitting rough parts of a trail going 80-100 mph.

It was basically operator error.

I Like Waffle
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I wonder if you took a 79 stock f250 offroad, and this truck offroad, which would last longer?

SVTraptor
04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I wonder if you took a 79 stock f250 offroad, and this truck offroad, which would last longer?

Not sure that's much of an argument.

Clifff150
04-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey man I have a 2009 f150 screw. Ya there is no room under the seat. I have a single Treo ssi 10 and I'm getting a ported box. The way I designed my box was where it will start under the seat and extend to the center console. It takes away from someone in the middle seat but I never ride 5 deep anyways. Also, I take my dog everywhere so and under the box seat wouldn't have worked with him. Ill share some of my quick little sketches if you want

BassMechkanic
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
i just bought a 2012 F150 FX2 supercrew - fully loaded 45k - factory Nav and sub, i plan on casting a fiberglass mold of factory sub box, then modifying it to hold a JL 13" TW5, if it works well, then i will mold that and make a production box, should bolt into factory location, look stock, and i will sell them thru ebay.

I Like Waffle
04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
so much fail here

andrewm
06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Fox Acoustics makes a ported box for dual 10s. Anyone know if it's any good?