PDA

View Full Version : Carpeted VS. Non-Carpeted enclosure.

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I was recently at my local hardware store to return a sheet of particle board and buy the correct MDF that I came for yesterday and also to buy some jigsaw blades + wood screws and one of the employees there told me that instead of painting my enclosure, I should instead carpet it because it muffles the sounds better, or something along those lines?

So my question is does carpeting a subwoofer box make a big difference in SQ/SQL?

I was originally planning on painting my box glossy white, but if I will be getting better results from carpeting it, I will most likely do that.

Thanks

wenn_du_weinst
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Carpet will only affect high freq waves, I doubt you will hear a difference between carpet and non, I never have.

Imtjnotu
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
dont take car audio advice from home depot employees....painting...carpet......doesnt matter its all aesthetics

wenn_du_weinst
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
dont take car audio advice from home depot employees....painting...carpet......doesnt matter its all aesthetics

In this case...

sobe3yourself.
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Carpet it with another sheet of mdf and then you will hear a difference...maybe.

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
...why would you want to "muffle the sound better"

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I'm sticking with the glossy white finish :) Was also think about putting a big ol' Alpine logo on the top, what's the best way to do it and make it look clean? Idk where I would find a Alpine stencil.

Imtjnotu
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
In this case...
???

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 03:33 PM
...why would you want to "muffle the sound better"

Just what he said haha, and I think he meant to reduce rattling and have a cleaner sound.. but IDK

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Just what he said haha, and I think he meant to reduce rattling and have a cleaner sound.. but IDK

I believe you. You should have been like BISH I DONT WANNA MUFFLE MY SHIET I WANT IT LOUD AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUq

wenn_du_weinst
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
???

It will help in the higher freq, that's why you see so many sq cars with dash mats. It won't do jack for subwoofer though.

TheUnderFighter
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I'm sticking with the glossy white finish :) Was also think about putting a big ol' Alpine logo on the top, what's the best way to do it and make it look clean? Idk where I would find a Alpine stencil.

Get an Alpine sticker and trace it. Users on here can make stickers and have the popular brands in stock, look at the vendor section! :)

Kangaroux
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
The only way it's going to "muffle" anything is if the box isn't sealed up and the carpet helps to kill any air leaks. You will be fine OP, just pick up some liquid nails or something to seal up the corners of the box

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Already got the Liquid Nails/wood screws/caulk/MDF/jigsaw blades. Just have to wait for Jason to finish up the design for the box... I'm in no hurry though since my amp doesn't come in the mail until Friday. Just looking forward to hearing the difference between custom made vs. prefab.

groundpound4200
04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
they let you return that? nice... did they have what you needed to swap it out?

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
you ended up buying a new amp then or what

VisceralSound
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM
In relation to the time frame you asked me sometime ago, it all depends how busy he is, I couldn't give you and exact quote, he's most likely building boxes next to trying to get peoples designs out.

Seraphim38
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
1 - running carpet lets you spend less time on the finish carpentry, (though it doesn't save you any time on sealing or bracing)

2 - look at high end reference studio monitors; the best monitors in the world that audio engineers mix albums on aren't carpeted; they have a piano finish or a veneer/pvc coating. To even think about carpeting a reference monitor it makes me laugh

wenn_du_weinst
04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
1 - running carpet lets you spend less time on the finish carpentry, (though it doesn't save you any time on sealing or bracing)

2 - look at high end reference studio monitors; the best monitors in the world that audio engineers mix albums on aren't carpeted; they have a piano finish or a veneer/pvc coating. To even think about carpeting a reference monitor it makes me laugh
those are also not in a car, totally different subject.

Seraphim38
04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
the way an exterior finish affects the sound of an enclosure as a science in itself exists regardless of its environment. Once inside the car, a carpet may provide some sound deadening effects but it would not be at lower frequencies and wouldn't relate to the frequencies generated in the subwoofer enclosure.

In truth, the analogy is more ineffective not because of the automotive context but because of the frequency range and intended usage of the enclosures: design aspects of studio monitors share neither the context, application or frequency range of a subwoofer enclosure. Nevertheless, the general acoustical and scientific rules apply.

Moving on...

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM
In relation to the time frame you asked me sometime ago, it all depends how busy he is, I couldn't give you and exact quote, he's most likely building boxes next to trying to get peoples designs out.

I already talked to him, he said it will be ready by this weekend :)

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 08:30 PM
you ended up buying a new amp then or what

I ended up being forced to exchange the amp that started smoking up in my trunk (Soundstream LW1.1700) for a different amp that the same company was selling on their ebay store (Planet Audio BB1400.1). I choose that one because most of their other amps were poweracoustix and multichannel amps. I think the Planet audio amp will be fine now that I have a yellowtop battery and doing the big 3 tomorrow.

If I had the choice of getting my money returned, I would've went down that road and bought a higher end amp instead of Ebay junk haha.

resonate
04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Don't listen to him, he's trying to make a sale. :p:

I prefer the look of carpet to a painted box, though. Just my $.02

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I don't really like the look of carpet haha, I am think all white with big black Alpine logo on the top is going to look PHR35H.

Seraphim38
04-03-2012, 08:52 PM
IMO carpet only looks good when the install looks OEM. Too often I see amateur installs where the carpet installation doesn't match and it ends up looking horrid. Boxes can look good either way, with proper care and workmanship...

MisterDeadeye
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM
IMO carpet only looks good when the install looks OEM. Too often I see amateur installs where the carpet installation doesn't match and it ends up looking horrid. Boxes can look good either way, with proper care and workmanship...

You don't have to put IMO in your post at all. It's redundant, because we all know that whatever you type is your opinion.

rc10mike
04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Painted will look like crap unless you finish/sand the wood correctly...

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Painted will look like crap unless you finish/sand the wood correctly...

Know of any tutorials on the subject? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know anything about painting wood. haha

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I ended up being forced to exchange the amp that started smoking up in my trunk (Soundstream LW1.1700) for a different amp that the same company was selling on their ebay store (Planet Audio BB1400.1). I choose that one because most of their other amps were poweracoustix and multichannel amps. I think the Planet audio amp will be fine now that I have a yellowtop battery and doing the big 3 tomorrow.

If I had the choice of getting my money returned, I would've went down that road and bought a higher end amp instead of Ebay junk haha.

a 1700 for a 1400? thats weak. At least they gave you something though and didn't leave you stranded with a broken amp.

I would suggest selling that on craigslist and getting a solid amp though, especially since you are putting money into your electrical.

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 11:15 PM
a 1700 for a 1400? thats weak. At least they gave you something though and didn't leave you stranded with a broken amp.

I would suggest selling that on craigslist and getting a solid amp though, especially since you are putting money into your electrical.

Yeah their customer service was good, but not a big selection of amps to choose from. It is technically 1900 watts MAX, but doesn't specify what I need to achieve 1900 watts at 1ohm. Here is the link to the specs... PLANET AUDIO | YOUR FINAL DESTINATION (http://www.planetaudiousa.com/main/592)

Looks like a solid amp, but what do I know haha

Also quick question, can I just screw the amp directly on top of the box or should I use some type of rubber spacer? I have just been using velcro for all of my previous amps

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the Planet Audio amp actually cost 15.00$ more than the 1700 watt Soundstream amp.

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Looks ok, I guess. I literally have never heard of the brand though.

But hell, if it actually does 1400rms at 1 ohm, i'd be suprised. If you come up to the cities we can test it vs a 1200

Yeah, you can screw it to the box...

I personally wouldnt though. You cant mount it anywhere else in the trunk?

Here is my trunk currently, as you see i have a piece of mdf that my two amps will screw down onto which is connected to the sheet metal up front with two L brackets

Reduces vibration internally on the amp. Maybe with your setup it will be okay cause its relatively low powered.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x263/Fivenineart/20120402_132812.jpg

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 11:42 PM

But hell, if it actually does 1400rms at 1 ohm, i'd be suprised. If you come up to the cities we can test it vs a 1200

Here is my trunk currently, as you see i have a piece of mdf that my two amps will screw down onto which is connected to the sheet metal up front with two L brackets

Reduces vibration internally on the amp. Maybe with your setup it will be okay cause its relatively low powered.

The ground wire is pretty short but I suppose I could let it lay right if front of the subs, that is if the custom box isn't as deep as the trunk is haha. I'll most likely stick it on top like i've been doing, just wasn't sure if the vibrations would cause any damage to the amp.

SourDeez
04-03-2012, 11:47 PM
With the power you're running it most likely wont do any damage. But why risk it? Plus then if you ever upgrade (trust me, you will) you permanently will have holes in your box (air leak, ugly, etc) and you will be like WHY DID I DO THAT!!

plantinseeds
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
So what do you suggest I do? I'm not trying to make any complicated amp rack or anything, just something simple that looks nice and does the job..

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Go to home depot, and get a cull piece of MDF or some birch plywood (or any wood I guess) if you dont know what cull is, there is a cull section which is basically a bunch of random cuts that arent full sheets and are discounted (I got the above pictured piece of MDF in cull lumber for like 4$)

Just at least throw that somewhere in the trunk and screw the amp down onto it. Or, depending on where your gas tank is, just screw the amp straight into the trunks metal. I wouldnt suggest that though.

plantinseeds
04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Got itttt, im sure ill have enough mdf leftover after the build for that.

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Coo coo, you'll thank me later

I Like Waffle
04-04-2012, 12:39 AM
i ******* loled big time

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 12:41 AM

hey guys! Yea, I am working on both right now. I am excited to show jack what I came up with asap. As an update I am working on it more in the afternoon today and hopefully will have something to present then as a design. :D

Now, regarding the carpet dilemma, in the specific use of carpet for this application regarding a "sub" frequency range, carpeting the box does nothing at all in dampening the output, as the majority of the output, if not 98% of it, should be from driver cone radiation and port output due to low resistance values at both areas.
If anything, as mentioned, it can provide time saving for construction, but still does not mean to slouch on the quality of the build. So, the best use for it will be the asthetics and temporary protection of the wood if anything, but nothing acoustic in the frequency range of operation of the box.

And I am not doing the build, only the design so I am not selling the idea of using carpet in this particular case. Nor do I mention carpet usage in any of my custom designs on my eBay store for those reasons alone. It will always, to me, be considered a personal preference. :D

So, for the current designs and builds I have going right now, check out my Facebook for the update on my recent update post for more details on current activity. It explains why I am busy right now and for the near future how it will get better and allow me to do more in a smaller amount of time, getting back to blueprints at 3-5 business day completion and builds at a 14 day completion on average.

VisceralSound
04-04-2012, 01:46 AM

How does it sound subs up port up? When my box is finished and sub/amp comes in we'll have to demo each others rides, I wish I had more peeps in town that I knew with systems, all my friends with systems aren't very smart with them so I try and educate them on certain things.

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 01:54 AM
How does it sound subs up port up? When my box is finished and sub/amp comes in we'll have to demo each others rides, I wish I had more peeps in town that I knew with systems, all my friends with systems aren't very smart with them so I try and educate them on certain things.

Sounds great...

Same here, the only friends I have had who are serious about bass are people I have met on here, other wise people I know just dont give a fuq.. They want kickers from best buy and thats it

VisceralSound
04-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Sounds great...

Same here, the only friends I have had who are serious about bass are people I have met on here, other wise people I know just dont give a fuq.. They want kickers from best buy and thats it
Lol exactly my only real bass friend in town actually wen't the wrong way and bought 2 kicker COMP 10/12 I can't recall right now in a big box for his Jeep, I was disappoint.

CAT MAN
04-04-2012, 02:06 AM
the only difference that could be iss leaking around the sub seal.

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Sounds great...

:banghead:

sam_b03
04-04-2012, 05:08 AM
carpet will dampen the sound if something is on the outside of box rattling against it. I that that is the only dampening it would do.

Louisiana_CRX
04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
I was recently at my local hardware store to return a sheet of particle board and buy the correct MDF that I came for yesterday and also to buy some jigsaw blades + wood screws and one of the employees there told me that instead of painting my enclosure, I should instead carpet it because it muffles the sounds better, or something along those lines?

So my question is does carpeting a subwoofer box make a big difference in SQ/SQL?

I was originally planning on painting my box glossy white, but if I will be getting better results from carpeting it, I will most likely do that.

Thanks

Carpet absorbs sound /thread

Ignatowski
04-04-2012, 06:25 AM

Thanks

BOY......use your head.....god gave you a brain and your letting it go to waste....
Carpet does NOTHING to the sound of your sub box..You guys really have to start waking up

mlstrass
04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
BOY......use your head.....god gave you a brain and your letting it go to waste....
Carpet does NOTHING to the sound of your sub box..You guys really have to start waking up

Not the sound, but SPL guys have gained on the meter by removing carpet from the box, so it can have an effect...

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

OP ditch the liquid nails and buy wood glue: Titebond II or Elmer's Pro

Moble Enclosurs
04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Not the sound, but SPL guys have gained on the meter by removing carpet from the box, so it can have an effect...

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 AM ----------

OP ditch the liquid nails and buy wood glue: Titebond II or Elmer's Pro

Not from box output, but from vehicle resonances. Its the same effect as adding carpet to your door panels and losing output that way. It is the fact that the carpet exists, not that it exists on the box. But yea, great point man. Cause overall for those purposes, that can make a difference. Good stuff.

hispls
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
You won't hear the difference between carpet or not, but carpeting seems to lose Deebeez on the meter. Carpet is a bit easier to get right and less work though than filling holes, sanding, rounding edges, and painting. Properly done painted looks great though. I swear by liquid nails personally. I'll use wood glue if I can get some very accurate cuts, but I let the saw guy at Home Depot make almost all my cuts so I rely on that to fill gaps. Radial arm saw makes really short work of a cut list.

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 11:02 AM
[/B]:banghead:

Tell me about it.

plantinseeds
04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Lol exactly my only real bass friend in town actually wen't the wrong way and bought 2 kicker COMP 10/12 I can't recall right now in a big box for his Jeep, I was disappoint.

I got a demo from a friends friend of two 15 inch Kicker comps in a CUSTOM made box powered by only 500 watts, and I was pretty shocked to hear how loud the 250 watt subs an 500 watt amp were compared to my two 500 watt subs and 1700 watt amp in a prefab box haha. Not sure what the specs of the box were, but it pretty much took up the whole entire trunk of his jeep.

groundpound4200
04-04-2012, 12:14 PM

**** son, where'd you get that box? Looks all professional and ****...[COLOR="Silver"]

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 01:08 PM
**** son, where'd you get that box? Looks all professional and ****...[COLOR="Silver"]

I met this crackhead bum downtown while I was taking a **** in the alley, all of a sudden, a harmonica was delivered by UPS. He googled a territory addendum of which was collateral for a dead baby. Naturally, I accepted.

VisceralSound
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
I got a demo from a friends friend of two 15 inch Kicker comps in a CUSTOM made box powered by only 500 watts, and I was pretty shocked to hear how loud the 250 watt subs an 500 watt amp were compared to my two 500 watt subs and 1700 watt amp in a prefab box haha. Not sure what the specs of the box were, but it pretty much took up the whole entire trunk of his jeep.
Is the guys name Dan?

05fronty
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
i gained 5 deebez

groundpound4200
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I met this crackhead bum downtown while I was taking a **** in the alley, all of a sudden, a harmonica was delivered by UPS. He googled a territory addendum of which was collateral for a dead baby. Naturally, I accepted.

And that got you a box?

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
And that got you a box?

More or less :=D

Thanks tho. Lovin the box mang

SourDeez
04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
And that got you a box?

More or less :=D

Thanks tho. Lovin the box mang