PDA

View Full Version : New from Ohio

Steelcore
03-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm 26, live in Ohio, work in law enforcement.

New to car audio. Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks on things and learn a bit from people more experienced in this sort of thing. Right now trying to figure out how to turn my Trailblazer into a mobile soundwagon. Any advice is appreciated!

05fronty
03-24-2012, 10:20 PM
welcome satan

brooklynjoy2008
03-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Welcome, and someone told me this hobby is a $ pit when I first started, and how true that was. what are your goals? And what kind of budget are u on? You may want to look at the stickies and read up on some things.

Steelcore
03-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you, drinker of Shiner Bock.

Why So Cereal?
03-24-2012, 10:31 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8302/1839757-ryan_narc_super.png

Welcome. :)

Steelcore
03-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Welcome, and someone told me this hobby is a $ pit when I first started, and how true that was. what are your goals? And what kind of budget are u on? You may want to look at the stickies and read up on some things.

Eventually I'd like to have something epic. Budget is hard to put a specific number on, due to the fact that it's going to be coming in sections. A few hundred bucks here and there for different things. Wanting to start off with speakers, then receiver, then work on subs/amps/etc. And space is totally not an issue. I've got a 2003 Trailblazer EXT LT.

My thoughts are, if I don't skimp on the speakers, then that's one thing I don't have to worry about having to upgrade. Same with the cables. The amp/subs/etc. can all be somewhat easily upgraded and swapped out, so I'm okay with starting out kinda "average" with those.

Am I correct on all that?

Steelcore
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8302/1839757-ryan_narc_super.png

Welcome. :)

Well-played, sir. Well-played indeed. Hahaha.

dbeez
03-24-2012, 10:43 PM
welcome to my house

Juicee
03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome, what part of Ohio are you from?

Steelcore
03-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Welcome, what part of Ohio are you from?

Southeast. Pretty much right on the border of WV.

Juicee
03-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Southeast. Pretty much right on the border of WV.

Bit of a haul from where I am, If you dont mind the drive and prefer not to have a box shipped I am getting into making boxes for subs. I have been quite successful in the past, just something to keep in mind possibly.

Steelcore
03-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Bit of a haul from where I am, If you dont mind the drive and prefer not to have a box shipped I am getting into making boxes for subs. I have been quite successful in the past, just something to keep in mind possibly.

Appreciate the offer, but I actually love doing woodwork. Plus, since this is one of those "first-time" things, I really wanna try to do it all on my own...every step of the way. I'll definitely keep it in mind though in case I run into problems along the way or just don't have the time to build it custom on my own.

Also, thanks for you service.

Juicee
03-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Appreciate the offer, but I actually love doing woodwork. Plus, since this is one of those "first-time" things, I really wanna try to do it all on my own...every step of the way. I'll definitely keep it in mind though in case I run into problems along the way or just don't have the time to build it custom on my own.

Also, thanks for you service.

No problem man, I really enjoy this stuff so dont hesitate to ask questions... I tend to not bash guys that are new to this as well ;)

Steelcore
03-25-2012, 12:48 AM
No problem man, I really enjoy this stuff so dont hesitate to ask questions... I tend to not bash guys that are new to this as well ;)

Yeah, I like to dive in headfirst. I'm one of those people who has to learn from doing something hands-on, but advice and tips are always welcome. I may end up running some dimensions past you regarding the box. I'm going to go out and get measurements of my cargo area tomorrow that way I know exactly what I'm working with.

I'm really not planning to start installing anything for a good month or so, this is simply the planning phase. I like to have things well-planned and organized. I started a build log so I'll upload some pictures and dimensions to it tomorrow. Feel free to follow along with it.

oldschool4me
03-25-2012, 01:00 AM
what city steel? probably not too far from me.

duanebro
03-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Welcome.

Steelcore
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
what city steel? probably not too far from me.

The Marietta area. You?

skitzafit
03-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Welcome to caraudio.com

oldschool4me
03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
The Marietta area. You?

ok so you are a good ways from me then lol. im little south of youngstown.

jirehn
03-25-2012, 11:30 PM
HI, welcome most in this forum, Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Phoenix Risen
03-25-2012, 11:36 PM
welcome man, there is a lot of good info to be had around here if you know how to sift through the bullshit.

are you wanting to get into competing any or just a daily/demo vehicle?

Steelcore
03-26-2012, 01:44 AM
ok so you are a good ways from me then lol. im little south of youngstown.

Yeah, about 2 hours north of me. Still sorta close though, I suppose.

welcome man, there is a lot of good info to be had around here if you know how to sift through the bullshit.

are you wanting to get into competing any or just a daily/demo vehicle?

First, let me just say that I typed out a giant response and accidentally hit "reply to thread" instead of "post quick reply" and...well...

Long story short, I'm not looking for a competition setup by any means. Maybe in the future, but for now just an average build which will allow me to get a better understanding of what/why/how/etc certain things do what they do. I'm a beginner in the most literal sense. I took the door panel off of my truck to get an idea of what I was working with today...first time I've ever done it. I was a little intimidated, because I was afraid of screwing something up. So I have a LOT to learn about all aspects of car audio: the car part and the audio part.

What I'm looking for right now is loud, great quality sound, and good bass (but not necessarily rolling thunder). I wanna get my feet wet and get an idea of it all before I go spending a ridiculous amount of money on a system. I mean, I can go spend $5,000 on a setup...but it doesn't do me any good if I don't know what to do with it.

thegreatestpenn
03-26-2012, 02:47 AM
hi, come to my MECA events (to hang out or compete i don't care) and i'll be your friend :P. they are posted in the midwest events section. a few forum people here always attend so you'll meet some fellow ca.com ohioans

Wkdclown78
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
what part of ohio? Im in Mansfield and can help hook you up