PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood excelon kdc-x794

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Any thoughts...I'm thinking about grabbing one for about 130, give or take?

murph
03-24-2012, 02:48 AM
good hu

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 02:50 AM
good hu

Ya spec wise it looks nice...even visually-hard to tell from pics is it plasticy looking?

murph
03-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Ya spec wise it looks nice...even visually-hard to tell from pics is it plasticy looking?

they are sleek looking but there is a glare during the day

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 02:56 AM
they are sleek looking but there is a glare during the day

This guy essentially has the same look as I would http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3875296/2002-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-sport-utility-4d#38752964032

Would it go well with my PA-2004 and 2 HF 10's and my factory infinity amp and speakers?

murph
03-24-2012, 02:57 AM
This guy essentially has the same look as I would http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3875296/2002-jeep-grand-cherokee-laredo-sport-utility-4d#38752964032

Would it go well with my PA-2004 and 2 HF 10's and my factory infinity amp and speakers?

lol

JoshC
03-24-2012, 03:00 AM
lol

x2 :laugh:

It should deff be an improvement man, go for it

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:02 AM
x2 :laugh:

It should deff be an improvement man, go for it

C'mon man what's so funny?

JoshC
03-24-2012, 03:09 AM
C'mon man what's so funny?

Just the way you said it was comical, no worries man :)

Which HF subs do you have? I dont think i seen a hf 10s

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Just the way you said it was comical, no worries man :)

Which HF subs do you have? I dont think i seen a hf 10s

Well glad I could humor you guys, my goal is to make three people laugh a day (one more to go).

I have the Dayton reference HF 4 ohms...I'm a total SQ nut, just a broke grad student SQ nut

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:17 AM
x993..

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:19 AM
x993..

Find me one for $150 shipped and I'll consider...can't go any higher!!!

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Find me one for $150 shipped and I'll consider...can't go any higher!!!

give ebay about a week they go about 130 shipped

JoshC
03-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Well glad I could humor you guys, my goal is to make three people laugh a day (one more to go).

I have the Dayton reference HF 4 ohms...I'm a total SQ nut, just a broke grad student SQ nut

O wow i by HF 10s i thought you ment Hifonics lol thats why i laughed atleaste

Also thought a pa-2004 was a power acoustiks amp lol(also reason i was laughing) but a nak nice, how much was it?

How does it sound? You should grab a new mono amp for your subs and swap 4ch from factory with that 4ch nak if you want true SQ, and replace door speakers then add deadner.

murph your realize he was saying he had dayton 10s on a nak amp? I thought he was talking about budget equipment at first lol

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:22 AM
this is the lower model KENWOOD CAR AUDIO RADIO CD RECIEVER HEAD UNIT KDC-HD942U used FORD CHEVY HONDA | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-CAR-AUDIO-RADIO-CD-RECIEVER-HEAD-UNIT-KDC-HD942U-used-FORD-CHEVY-HONDA-/130670164964?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1e6c8c7be4&vxp=mtr#ht_1022wt_1270)

murph
03-24-2012, 03:24 AM

Also thought a pa-2004 was a power acoustiks amp lol(also reason i was laughing) but a nak nice, how much was it?

How does it sound? You should upgrade your 4ch from factory if you want true SQ, and replace doors, add deadner

murph your realize he was saying he had dayton 10s on a nak amp? I thought he was talking about budget equipment at first lol
yeah I thought the same

JoshC
03-24-2012, 03:26 AM
yeah I thought the same

Yea thats a zed built 100x4

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:28 AM

How does it sound? You should upgrade your 4ch from factory if you want true SQ, and replace doors, add deadner

Ya I thought you were laughing at my system and not me! Nice uh...cover...but nah sorry for the confusion--but it still would be a nice upgrade!

How does it sound?? HAHA wish I knew just got my subs sealed and in the jeep today--I bought a torx screw today to potentially ground to the seat belt that some WJs owners seem to say work, but I'm pushing 800 and want to be positive. However, had the amp for a minute and use to be w/ a diamond 12" and 6 speakers (can't recall which) in a mist. galant. Anyway, with all that said I'm waiting on a AOEM-CHR2-ADD RCA to hook my PA-2004 up to factory HU, so I can listen!!! I'm broke, but have graduation coming up soon and thought I should get a new HU and maybe return the OEM kit....

JoshC
03-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Ya I thought you were laughing at my system and not me! Nice uh...cover...but nah sorry for the confusion--but it still would be a nice upgrade!

How does it sound?? HAHA wish I knew just got my subs sealed and in the jeep today--I bought a torx screw today to potentially ground to the seat belt that some WJs owners seem to say work, but I'm pushing 800 and want to be positive. However, had the amp for a minute and use to be w/ a diamond 12" and 6 speakers (can't recall which) in a mist. galant. Anyway, with all that said I'm waiting on a AOEM-CHR2-ADD RCA to hook my PA-2004 up to factory HU, so I can listen!!! I'm broke, but have graduation coming up soon and thought I should get a new HU and maybe return the OEM kit....

Yea for sure return that kit and grab the HU, do that amp justice and give it a good processor.

murph
03-24-2012, 03:33 AM

the excelon line has nice sq and a lot of options

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:36 AM
this is the lower model KENWOOD CAR AUDIO RADIO CD RECIEVER HEAD UNIT KDC-HD942U used FORD CHEVY HONDA | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-CAR-AUDIO-RADIO-CD-RECIEVER-HEAD-UNIT-KDC-HD942U-used-FORD-CHEVY-HONDA-/130670164964?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1e6c8c7be4&vxp=mtr#ht_1022wt_1270)

Nice find; however, it is use w/ no return or warranty....sketchy.

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Nice find; however, it is use w/ no return or warranty....sketchy.

jesus dude really? thats the only thing you are worried about? ill buy it from you if something is wrong.

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:42 AM
Yea for sure return that kit and grab the HU, do that amp justice and give it a good processor.

Ya only thing is the OEM kit would be going back to sonicelectrix (sp) and to get full value I would have to get something from there....and I only see one eXcelon

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:44 AM
jesus dude really? thats the only thing you are worried about? ill buy it from you if something is wrong.

AND I know you from Adam???? I'm just thinking I want something new, besides it's not your system don't get your ******* in a bunch. Thanks for your opinion and suggestion tho it is much appreciated

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:45 AM
AND I know you from Adam???? I'm just thinking I want something new, besides it's not your system don't get your ******* in a bunch. Thanks for your opinion and suggestion tho it is much appreciated

then you want something new. but i get tired of hearing "oh cant return" or "what if it dont work" thats the biggest excuse in all excuses

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:49 AM
then you want something new. but i get tired of hearing "oh cant return" or "what if it dont work" thats the biggest excuse in all excuses

Yah, I could see your point; however based on anecdotal evidence and second hand stories I live by "If you can't test (drive) it first, then don't buy w/o return policy/warranty"

<------- no excuses here, just common sense

Anyway fellas thanks for the input I'm off to visit the other side of the pillow

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Yah, I could see your point; however based on anecdotal evidence and second hand stories I live by "If you can't test (drive) it first, then don't buy w/o return policy/warranty"

<------- no excuses here, just common sense

Anyway fellas thanks for the input I'm off to visit the other side of the pillowthere is a beautiful thing called paypal and buyer protection

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Yea thats a zed built 100x4

Gotta love Steve

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

there is a beautiful thing called paypal and buyer protection

Ya, but there are also things called headaches that aren't that beautiful...

TheUnderFighter
03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
I used to have the x-794, it was fine. basic though. Got an aux option... 5v pre-outs... nothing special though really, and they're ollld. And very plastic, I didn't care for the knobs. I really like my x-994 I have now though. Unless you're willing to shell out $300, you're not gonna find any brand new headunit that's really worth buying in the least, especially for SQ. Used is the way to go man, just be sensible about who you buy from and the precautions you take. I got my x994 for $130 shipped in absolutely MINT condition, couldn't even tell it was used.

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I used to have the x-794, it was fine. basic though. Got an aux option... 5v pre-outs... nothing special though really, and they're ollld. And very plastic, I didn't care for the knobs. I really like my x-994 I have now though. Unless you're willing to shell out $300, you're not gonna find any brand new headunit that's really worth buying in the least, especially for SQ. Used is the way to go man, just be sensible about who you buy from and the precautions you take. I got my x994 for $130 shipped in absolutely MINT condition, couldn't even tell it was used.

CAT MAN so what are the major difference between the x994 and x993??

Also, should I just post in classifieds on here that I'm looking for a x993 and x994?

TheUnderFighter
03-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I usually see the 994 and the 995 being compared. But I guess the 993 is right in the bunch. They've got time alignment, blue tooth, usb, 3 sets of 4v pre-outs, 5 band eq, wide color range for display, etc. The 994 is just an updated version of the 993, with nothing really changed. Just an updated design, different remote. The 994 has a built in aux in the rear, with additional optional aux in rear. The 993 has a built in aux in the front, with an optional aux in the rear. the 993 will download your texts via bluetooth and show them on the display. The 994 can't do that, but it can stream music via bluetooth. They're very similar units, with only some minor difference. And the 995 is a more expensive version of the 994, without the ability to stream music via BT, but with slightly greater distance options for time alignment.
So it'd basically come down to looks between the 993 and the 994, which one appeals to you more. and if you like having your built in aux in the front, or rear.

knokinnakamichi
03-24-2012, 05:55 PM
the 993 will download your texts via bluetooth and show them on the display. The 994 can't do that, but it can stream music via bluetooth.

Interesting, I read crutchfield's 'scripts and didn't get this! How would I get one of these to fit when I currently have a cd and tap deck? wouldn't it be too small

knokinnakamichi
03-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I usually see the 994 and the 995 being compared. But I guess the 993 is right in the bunch. They've got time alignment, blue tooth, usb, 3 sets of 4v pre-outs, 5 band eq, wide color range for display, etc. The 994 is just an updated version of the 993, with nothing really changed. Just an updated design, different remote. The 994 has a built in aux in the rear, with additional optional aux in rear. The 993 has a built in aux in the front, with an optional aux in the rear. the 993 will download your texts via bluetooth and show them on the display. The 994 can't do that, but it can stream music via bluetooth. They're very similar units, with only some minor difference. And the 995 is a more expensive version of the 994, without the ability to stream music via BT, but with slightly greater distance options for time alignment.
So it'd basically come down to looks between the 993 and the 994, which one appeals to you more. and if you like having your built in aux in the front, or rear.

So, I moved some funds around...should I be willing to drop $200 on a x994???? OR is there another HU around that price I could fine NEW for better SQ?
CAT MAN

knokinnakamichi
03-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Well just so you all know, I decided to go with the KDC-695. It has all the features I need, but I would like to be able to install the cd changer while I hook up the HU-guess I need a kenwood cd changer unless there is a way around that?

TheUnderFighter
03-25-2012, 05:19 PM
ick >.< Not my style haha. But I'm sure it will work fine, and it has everything you need! At least you didn't spend $200 for the 994.

JoshC
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Im grabbing the 396 here soon, hoping its a nice upgrade from my cda105

CAT MAN
03-26-2012, 05:24 AM
So, I moved some funds around...should I be willing to drop $200 on a x994???? OR is there another HU around that price I could fine NEW for better SQ?
CAT MAN

200 i woulda got a pioneer 8300ub :p

zako
04-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I don't understand why would anyone who even remotely cares about SQ would not use time alignment in the car (the only exception would be crafty people who figured how to eliminated PLD between ALL speakers they use). The only Kenwood head units that are worth buying are KDC-993/994/995/996, unless you use an external DSP with time alignment capability. The difference is HUGE. The difference is between having hopelessly messed up imaging versus having at very least passable imaging if you take time to tune the feature.

However, tuning time alignment only does not result in 100% consistent imaging because at frequencies above 2KHz, the intensity of sound is what counts for localization the most. Therefore, for more consistent imaging you need time time alignment AND independent L/R equalizer. In my car I simply use the L/R balance to shift the intensity a bit away from myself. However, if I was buying a brand new head unit, I'd be going with Pioneer DEH-PRS80, which has all the features you need achieve good imaging.

zako
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I usually see the 994 and the 995 being compared.

They are the same unit. 993 got replaced by 994, which got replaced by 995, etc. The newer ones are much better. The 993 has only 5-band graphic equalizer, which is hardly a high end equalizer. The newer ones have more features.

chillin
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
If you are still looking heres a 994 for 105 with less than a day left

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251034745324?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649)