PDA

View Full Version : speaker layout ?'s

ladiesman8527
03-14-2004, 05:21 PM
i have a 1997 chevy s10 blazer. my factory 6.5" speakers aint cuttin it and i need some new ones. i've heard about components being better than coaxials and stuff like that and i have no idea what to beleive. i'm new to this car audio thing.....what i want to know is whats the best lay out for speakers....for example, should i have 2-way coaxials in the back and 2-way components up front or what?? please help

SilverJLEclipse
03-17-2004, 04:14 AM
components generally sound better because their crossover networks are better and the frequencies go only to their respective speaker. you are right in chosing components for the front and coax for the rear fill because ideally the rear is just that, fill. adding an amp to components is vital to their performance so be prepared to invest in this as well, the rears don't necessarily need and amp but having one will provide a cleaner signal to them.

ladiesman8527
03-31-2004, 07:22 PM
i have a 4 channel amp that i'm plannin on runnin my speakers off of a long with the power from the head unit.....if i just ran all of it off the amp and the headunit and not just the components would it be fine?

tobz
04-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Yes, except chances are your "rear fill" coax speakers will get too loud. They will probably be more efficient than your comps, and bring the soundstage to the rear of the vehicle. (which isn't bad if you like the "surrounded by the music" feel) I however prefer a concert style of listening to music with only the thump of bass at my back.

I would say go for it, try hooking them up a few different ways and see how you like it. Try running all 4 speakers off of the amp, then try running just the comps amped, and rear fill speakers off the deck. Head Units have a lot of distortion, so be prepared for lower quality sound when listening to speakers straight from the H/U.

Experiment and see what you like, it's the best way. However, at least including components in your starting point is a great idea. Remember to HAVE FUN, and not spend too much :)

T.J.