PDA

View Full Version : enclosure vs enclosure help

myjaja
03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I just built an enclosure for my two 12" hdc4's with a 10" port all facing inside the cabin of my 96 honda accord. I didn't like it at all. I lost a lot of output compared to my older box. The phasing is also weird.

Which would be a better enclosure and have more output?

36.5 x 17.5 x 22 = 6.64 cu ft gross (this box is so big that it needs to be built in two parts)
Itll have a 10 diameter port with a total of a 16" flare tuned to around 37 hz (port on the passenger side of box)

33 x 17 x 22 = 5.79 cu ft gross
Itll have four 4" flared aero tuned to around 37 hz (port on the passenger side of box)

Which enclosure would be a better choice? thanks

Buck
03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
What are your goals?

myjaja
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
What are your goals?

Well, I wanna pass 149dbs which I was getting with my old enclosure. It was 33 x 17 x 22 with four 4" non-flared PVC ports tuned to around 35hz. Net volume was about 4.45 cu ft. I wanna get more output than that box. So I wanna be at it over 150 dbs for daily with a tuning of around 37hz

neonblack
03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Sub manual should give you the net enclosure volume for optimum SPL. Double the volume for two subs.

myjaja
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Sub manual should give you the net enclosure volume for optimum SPL. Double the volume for two subs.

Each sub needs about 1.8 - 2.25 cu ft. Ill be at 4.4 - 4.5 cu ft net with those two enclosures listed above. But the first one has more port area. I just want opinions on both enclosures.

snyderd758
03-24-2012, 12:57 AM
port+sub on same wall=cancellation. All the recommendations i see say sub forward and port up for optimal sound.should clarify also if there isnt any room between port and rear baffle or some other obstruction i have also seen port to drivers side recommended.

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 01:04 AM
port+sub on same wall=cancellation. All the recommendations i see say sub forward and port up for optimal sound.should clarify also if there isnt any room between port and rear baffle or some other obstruction i have also seen port to drivers side recommended.

are you retarded?

Op try 4.3 cubes net @ 35 hz with about 65sq inches of SLOT port with 3 common walls on the driver side.

myjaja
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
are you retarded?

Op try 4.3 cubes net @ 35 hz with about 65sq inches of SLOT port with 3 common walls on the driver side.

You recommend that over the two choices I listed?

hispls
03-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Have you tried subs up port back? That "CRX" style box may perform well for you.

I prefer a single large port over multiple small ones. If your goal is to gain on the meter, just get a meter and start playing with seat positions, small changes in box position, glove box open or closed, position of visors, flip floormats upside down, armor-all dash, flush mount subs, duct tape around subs. You can probably find .5 to 1.0 db on the meter with some testing and tweaking stupid little things like that.

mazdakid
03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Are both of the new boxes going to be subs and port both forward? Have you tried subs forward port to the side?
Do you have everything sealed off when facing forward?

myjaja
03-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Have you tried subs up port back? That "CRX" style box may perform well for you.

I prefer a single large port over multiple small ones. If your goal is to gain on the meter, just get a meter and start playing with seat positions, small changes in box position, glove box open or closed, position of visors, flip floormats upside down, armor-all dash, flush mount subs, duct tape around subs. You can probably find .5 to 1.0 db on the meter with some testing and tweaking stupid little things like that.

I don't think it'll work with the port on the back. I wouldn't have room as this is a trunk car. Ill do the taping part. Lol thanks

myjaja
03-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Are both of the new boxes going to be subs and port both forward? Have you tried subs forward port to the side?
Do you have everything sealed off when facing forward?

The two new boxes are both side firing. And yeah, the phasing is just too wierd

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 02:17 PM
You recommend that over the two choices I listed?
do you need them to be aero ports?
and im sure you will over power the hell out of them if you are doing a 49-50. 4.3 net after bracing and port should be good for them. :imo:
and if 65 sq inches of port aint enough for ya you can go bigger. i just dont trust aq's suspension with alot of port.

wenn_du_weinst
03-24-2012, 02:24 PM
dd's/aq's love port try using more port less chamber.

kushy_dreams
03-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Throw some fiberglass resin inside for added rigidity.

myjaja
03-24-2012, 03:52 PM
do you need them to be aero ports?
and im sure you will over power the hell out of them if you are doing a 49-50. 4.3 net after bracing and port should be good for them. :imo:
and if 65 sq inches of port aint enough for ya you can go bigger. i just dont trust aq's suspension with alot of port.

I always thought aq loved more port area? I have the aq hdc4's though. They use wider spiders than the hdc3's. I'm sure that'll help out a bit. How would I know if a subs suspension is going out of control?

wenn_du_weinst
03-24-2012, 03:54 PM
they do, right around 20'' per foot

CAT MAN
03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
dd's/aq's love port try using more port less chamber.

they do, right around 20'' per foot
really? i dont see how when all i see are ripped spiders from aq but then again i never really try anything else than safe with aq because of it

hispls
03-24-2012, 06:37 PM
really? i dont see how when all i see are ripped spiders from aq but then again i never really try anything else than safe with aq because of it

It's because they are low quality and use either inferior glue or substandard assembling techniques (7 year old Chinese kids?). The spiders are actually quite stiff IMO, just not good quality. Since they are basically DD clones they should do well in DD spec boxes.

OP: If it's a trunk optimum will be to wall it off (look for thor's hammer's trunk build) or possibly do sub up port forward. A friend of mine did very will with that out of a civic trunk (until he started breaking metal on the trunk hinges).

wenn_du_weinst
03-24-2012, 06:58 PM
yeah pretty much, they use laminated spiders that need to be broken in to not rip. I do know DD redid their spiders recently but haven't used any so no clue if they are good.

myjaja
03-24-2012, 10:39 PM
What about the first box which is the one below? Itll have to be built in two parts to make it fit in the trunk though. Itll be just at around 4.5 cu ft net and about 17" per cube of port area. Wouldnt that be perfect? Itll be the one with the 10" port with it firing to the side of the box.

36.5 x 17.5 x 22 = 6.64 cu ft gross

-1.10 (26.5" long port)
-.818 (sub displacement)
-.20 (bracing)

= 4.5 cu ft net at around 37 hz

snyderd758
03-25-2012, 12:43 AM
are you retarded?

Op try 4.3 cubes net @ 35 hz with about 65sq inches of SLOT port with 3 common walls on the driver side.so sub and port placement mean nothing?

CAT MAN
03-25-2012, 12:46 AM
so sub and port placement mean nothing?

jut because a port is on the same face means it will cancel. if that was the case no onee would do it . alot of spl record holders put the port on the same face as subs with no problems. thats a simpl answer

snyderd758
03-25-2012, 01:05 AM
jut because a port is on the same face means it will cancel. if that was the case no onee would do it . alot of spl record holders put the port on the same face as subs with no problems. thats a simpl answerOP said phasing is weird if his wiring is correct what would cause that? Perhaps sub or port placement or for that matter the placement of the box in the vehicle. Have you never experimented with the location of a port or the subwoofers and found it to be louder in a certain position. I am so adamant on this cause i read and read about it say what you want but there are "sweet spots" in every vehicle and all the posts after your original post reinforce this. P.S. no i am not retarded but i am special my momma said so.