PDA

View Full Version : Best sq box for a 15in Kicker CVX with Kicker ZX1000.1

My Boy Blu
03-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey, I am building my first custom box for my Kicker CVX 15. I talk to Kicker and they said the best box for sq is a 2.5cuft sealed. I was thinking of making it out of 1in mdf because of the power but don't know if it will make a sound difference. I figured the dimensions would be 31in wide-17in tall-12in deep (internal dimesions 29-15-10). It's going in a 4dr Jimmy now but i most likely am getting a pickup truck soon. What would be the best glue to use and silicone to seal it. Should I strengthen the box and if so how would i do it. I have 2 15in L7s and they beat my truck up, I lost a bolt from my hood and haven't had a rearview mirror for 2 yrs. Im sticking with the 15 so I can hit the lows but if theres anything else out there that you think will sound better, can take the power and is not expensive like a W7 i will consider it. I haven't bought the sub yet. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Full Tilt
03-22-2012, 02:08 PM
Forget about SQ and let that thing do what it's designed to do..

Put it in a 3.5 cubes - 4 cubic ft enclosure and let it pound.

The CVX will be a decent sub in a correct enclosure - buy why a brand known for its relatively low SQ levels? But whatever, it'll sound good if the box was recommended by Kicker. Sundown would probably be a good brand to go with though - for future reference.

DoesDad
03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
SQ and a CVX aren't synonymous. Lol! And just cause it's a sealed box doesn't mean you're going to get better sound of it. Every Kicker I've ever owned (and that includes the CVX) sound better in ported. Why don't you look at some of the other non name brands that are forum boners right now. Audioque, Sundown, Skar, Obsidian to name a few.... Probably get better SQ out of any of these as opposed to a CVX.

Fi_
03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
SQ and a CVX aren't synonymous. Lol! And just cause it's a sealed box doesn't mean you're going to get better sound of it. Every Kicker I've ever owned (and that includes the CVX) sound better in ported. Why don't you look at some of the other non name brands that are forum boners right now. Audioque, Sundown, Skar, Obsidian to name a few.... Probably get better SQ out of any of these as opposed to a CVX.

It's said that the L5 and L7's actually do work best in sealed boxes but not a fan of those anyways and their SQ *****. I'd just go ported 3-4ft^3 my friend has 2 CVX 12's running off 2500w daily in a 4.25^ft3 hitting 146's @ 32hz if that gives you any ideas.

My Boy Blu
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a sub that can take the power of the ZX and shake on the lows and still hit all the other notes. I don't know of any 12s that can shake like the L7s. I have 12in type R's new model 600watts rms and they sounded halow when trying to hit the lows.

wickedwitt
03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
It's said that the L5 and L7's actually do work best in sealed boxes but not a fan of those anyways and their SQ *****. I'd just go ported 3-4ft^3 my friend has 2 CVX 12's running off 2500w daily in a 4.25^ft3 hitting 146's @ 32hz if that gives you any ideas.

What planet do you live on? The squares in large ported boxes eat their sealed box brothers up.

OP: I really do recommend going much larger than Kicker said even if you decide to do sealed. They build good stuff, but they have no clue what their own subs need as far as box specs. I've had Kicker eq. for close to 10 years now, 4 different setups in 5 different boxes. Go big (preferably ported with plenty of port), and it will get loud but still sound decent doing so. The CVX isn't known for its SQ, but it can definitely sound great getting loud. Keep it out of distortion, give it room to work, and enjoy.

Full Tilt
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for a sub that can take the power of the ZX and shake on the lows and still hit all the other notes. I don't know of any 12s that can shake like the L7s. I have 12in type R's new model 600watts rms and they sounded halow when trying to hit the lows.

That's 100% on the fault of your enclosure. Any sub can nail the lows in the right box.

My Boy Blu
03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
What would be the best sounding sub to go with the ZX1000.1 @2ohms

My Boy Blu
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
If i made a box for the Type R's how should i do it. I'd rather just built a box for them if i can make it right.

Mr.meyhem
03-22-2012, 03:08 PM
whats ur max price lol. u could put that on an incriminator audio death penalty and it would sound good. lol but it can take a lot more power. all depends. i like obsidian. skars are good and sundown is also very good. a little more expensive. its all personal preferences.

Fi_
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
What planet do you live on? The squares in large ported boxes eat their sealed box brothers up.

OP: I really do recommend going much larger than Kicker said even if you decide to do sealed. They build good stuff, but they have no clue what their own subs need as far as box specs. I've had Kicker eq. for close to 10 years now, 4 different setups in 5 different boxes. Go big (preferably ported with plenty of port), and it will get loud but still sound decent doing so. The CVX isn't known for its SQ, but it can definitely sound great getting loud. Keep it out of distortion, give it room to work, and enjoy.

i dunno man i've heard it from some credible people lately and I dont care much for kicker so its just that I really don't care... I've heard sealed kickers get loud and sound clean which is good considering it's a Kicker... and a Square sub. Also if you know so much why are you recommending boxes nearly twice as big as spec to a lot of people? I mean 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR on 1500wrms...

Not trying to pick a fight here but I would like an explanation as to why the sealed kicker is not as loud as a sealed ported other than 'It's ported of course it's louder.' that's not ALWAYS the case.

The design of the subwoofer and the enclosure requirements half the time warrant a sealed box, you see a ton of people running them sealed and still moving a ton of air. Kicker even STATES that they work really well in sealed enclosures... I'm just saying I need to be proved wrong before you can say "your an idiot move on." :-p

IonRL205
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
i live on a planet with lots of Kicker users apparently and Ive heard this from some credible people soo... also why do you recommend almost twice as big enclosures for almost every setup? Just because Kickers require more CF then most brands doesn't mean they all do, I mean I've seen you recommend 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR...

/e and Wicked he was asking for best sounding Kickers that bump imo a sealed L5/L7 sounds better and hits just as hard as its ported brother I think Kicker is JUNK period so I won't argue I'd recommend a new brand altogether but w/e just saying what I've heard/experienced with kickers which isn't a whole lot.

Sealed kickers do not get loud at all lol. I had two cvr 15s sealed and my skar 10s ported completely murder them, its not even a comparison. Quit making up bs claims, kickers shine in ported boxes, not sealed.

wickedwitt
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
i live on a planet with lots of Kicker users apparently and Ive heard this from some credible people soo... also why do you recommend almost twice as big enclosures for almost every setup? Just because Kickers require more CF then most brands doesn't mean they all do, I mean I've seen you recommend 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR...

/e and Wicked he was asking for best sounding Kickers that bump imo a sealed L5/L7 sounds better and hits just as hard as its ported brother I think Kicker is JUNK period so I won't argue I'd recommend a new brand altogether but w/e just saying what I've heard/experienced with kickers which isn't a whole lot.

The guy wanted to get loud on little power. The way to do that is a big box. I understand that the specs of different speakers don't like to be in as large boxes as Kickers do, but the group of men from which I've gained all my knowledge build larger than company recommended specs on everything they build. Funny enough, they always turn out way louder than a comparable setup built to manufacturer's specs. They usually do it on less power too.

The local audio store here has done thousands of Kicker installs. Sealed does get loud, but every install with ported squares has raped every sealed install that came out of there. I know as far as SQ, some people like sealed and others ported. I think the ported sounds wonderful.

You can think what you want of Kicker, you are in the majority here not liking them. I would put money on a daily setup vs your current brand of speakers any day with mine. I've seen plenty of DC, DD, Atomic, IA setups and have never been as impressed with them in a daily application as I have my 'junk' Kickers. To each their own.

wickedwitt
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Sealed kickers do not get loud at all lol. I had two cvr 15s sealed and my skar 10s ported completely murder them, its not even a comparison. Quit making up bs claims, kickers shine in ported boxes, not sealed.
He would know much more about being loud with Kickers than I would.

DDtC
03-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Kicker sub s can get loud, the thing is people dont set them up right. Most people running Kicker go to besy buy and get what the retard floor guy tells them to. They do look and feel cheap. Minus the X.

wickedwitt
03-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Kicker sub s can get loud, the thing is people dont set them up right. Most people running Kicker go to besy buy and get what the retard floor guy tells them to. They do look and feel cheap. Minus the X.

The lower lines do look cheap. Not near as bad as those years they did that chrome crap, at least.

Fi_
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM

Making up BS claims? I'm pretty sure I made nothing up lol I was talking about L5's and L7's not CVR's or CVX's... I said they come close to as loud in comparison but ported is obviously going to move more air. I've heard the suspension and size requirements allow them to move more controllable in a sealed box, like I said I don't run Kickers and it's just what I hear from a guy that runs 4 15's sealed in a wall in his SUV and it gets **** loud.

But I'm not saying I'm right I could be wrong lol.

RangerDangerV2
03-22-2012, 05:38 PM
"kicker" and "SQ" do not go hand in hand....

IonRL205
03-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Making up BS claims? I'm pretty sure I made nothing up lol I was talking about L5's and L7's not CVR's or CVX's... I said they come close to as loud in comparison but ported is obviously going to move more air. I've heard the suspension and size requirements allow them to move more controllable in a sealed box, like I said I don't run Kickers and it's just what I hear from a guy that runs 4 15's sealed in a wall in his SUV and it gets **** loud.

But I'm not saying I'm right I could be wrong lol.

Oh in your previous post you said "sealed kickers" so i thought you were referring to all kickers in general.

JoshC
03-23-2012, 01:01 AM
My Obsidian audio 12 will take that power all day and make the cvx and type r look girly. My 12 is almost as loud as my builders 15in L7, plus they had great sq. check em out for your next sub

Obsidian Car Audio (http://obsidiancaraudio.com/)

mylows10
03-23-2012, 01:02 AM
trash can

Moble Enclosurs
03-23-2012, 01:44 AM
There seems to be a lot of experience here about kicker drivers, but I would like to help clarify a few things for you. Any subwoofer will gain higher efficiency in a larger enclosure if the enclosure is properly designed and constructed AND as long as it gives the right response curve. The thing about kicker subs are that they went through some changes back around 5 years ago. This caused their specifications to become somewhat incorrect as far as what they, kicker company, recommends.
For this reason, it can be tough for any of us to make a recommendation on what will work best for as much SQ you can gain with most of their newer model drivers without accurate specifications to go by. I have to call kicker everytime I get a design request for any of their subs due to the interesting results they give me in calculation.
This leads me to believe they do not stay on top of their products very well, especially when I can call twice and receive two different results for the same driver.
That being said, like the others, I would strongly recommend going with a more reputable company with specifications and recommendations on volume requirements. This doesn't mean that those who have the subs working well cannot recommend a good volume or idea of what may work well, but it has been my professional experience that no two situations will give identical results.
So, saying 4 cubes sealed will work best may not be applicable to your request. And going through the process of designing and building one on your own costs can be frustrating when the results have a possibility to become subpar from what you had imagined.
So, though some great information about their products have been made, I would say, and agree like others, to find a more usable driver for your setup and get a proper design made so you will have a better chance of getting great results.
I agree with the recommendation of skar audio subs for authority as well as range of response as I have designed for many of them before with exceptional results.
Just my thoughts.

Fi_
03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh in your previous post you said "sealed kickers" so i thought you were referring to all kickers in general.

No I didn't...

That was my first response... my second one states Kicker subs as a whole but then I reiterate and say "square subs" I mean instead of trying to pick fights with me about my "bs claims." you should read a little better, and I'm pretty sure what I said about L5's and L7's is true, regardless if you want to believe it or not.

winkychevelle
03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
my comps are doing pretty good at the moment. two tens in a down fire box with 1.13 cubes a piece throw in around 6-700w and i can honestly say my truck peaks at 32hz windows up and 28hz windows down. the song "i put on" will actually shake my dash pretty good. most people dont expect 2 10s flexing my roof

Fi_
03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
He would know much more about being loud with Kickers than I would.

Just because you run the best subwoofer kicker has to offer doesn't mean you can talk **** like they own everything, anything less than a Solo-X is almost laughable for the price... Square subs are joke and are structurally not sound, they tear at the corners almost always before thermal limits, I just don't like them because they have become a cheap overpriced mainstream brand that people buy for the name.

I'm sorry but I'll put my DC Level 3's against any Kicker below a SOLO-X and I bet money I'll win, and these are DC's lowest line of subwoofers and I'm no pro. I built the same box for my 15's for 2 CVX's basically ran off 2500w and I beat them off 800w, so take it how you want man... I'd take DC over Kicker any day anytime even IF they cost more.

Joseph7195
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
WTF is going on in here? Anybody read Mobile's comment at all? He answered the question. Participation in a forum is great and all, but hearsay helps nobody in the tech section. Start a thread in the dome about who has the most nuthuggin abilities.

VisceralSound
03-23-2012, 03:13 PM
If i made a box for the Type R's how should i do it. I'd rather just built a box for them if i can make it right.
Be cool like me, 9.8cft @roughly 1400watts :)

Don't know how it would work with the type R, design was my Mobile, so far my ghetto rigged not 100% sealed Type R 12" running off of a REALLY powerhungry Rockford Fosgate 300watt amp, can hit the lows pretty **** well but it rattles since its not sealed all the way because I'm waiting on my 15 to come in so LOOOWWs don't sound as good.

tRiGgEr
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
What if the moon was a subwoofer and the galaxy is a IB environment.

I just contributed.

Exist_ential
03-23-2012, 03:27 PM
here here, only reason i finished reading this thread was to see if someone would even bother to ack Mobile.

IonRL205
03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
i dunno man i've heard it from some credible people lately and I dont care much for kicker so its just that I really don't care... I've heard sealed kickers get loud and sound clean which is good considering it's a Kicker... and a Square sub. Also if you know so much why are you recommending boxes nearly twice as big as spec to a lot of people? I mean 8ft^3+ for a 15" SKAR on 1500wrms...

Not trying to pick a fight here but I would like an explanation as to why the sealed kicker is not as loud as a sealed ported other than 'It's ported of course it's louder.' that's not ALWAYS the case.

The design of the subwoofer and the enclosure requirements half the time warrant a sealed box, you see a ton of people running them sealed and still moving a ton of air. Kicker even STATES that they work really well in sealed enclosures... I'm just saying I need to be proved wrong before you can say "your an idiot move on." :-p

Plus the CVX and CVR are just round versions of the square subs anyway, with a little more cone area. Kicker will get loud in ported, sealed is meh.

winkychevelle
03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
honestly i think its like every other sub in the right install they can sound good. they do require huge boxes sealed and a bigger ported box than normal but they acomplish what most people want them for. of coarse they wont win sq comps but the noobs that run them generally get wht they are after since most of them dont know what a sq sub is. i have used the comps in ib situations and they do perform quite well and in my truck they keep up quite well and only lag in the most complex of kick drum passages.

TheUnderFighter
03-23-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd say an Obsidian Audio 12 assuming you're on a tight budget.

kushy_dreams
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow lots of bs information from people lacking experience. Obviously not many who have commented have actually owned a CVX and built a box for one. I will never understand why people with no ownership experience, still feel the need to contribute worthless nonsense....

Now thats out of the way, the CVX line can have pretty decent sq if kept in a low tuned box. A month ago I built a box for a single Kicker CVX 12 and it had sq that was close to my Boston G5s (which are better than JL w6s imo) however, I had to keep the ports loaded in a corner or close to a wall in my trunk or else it would begin to roll off somewhere between 55-60hz, with a tuning of 32.5hz from 2 3inch pvc pipes and 1.85cu/ft after all displacements. It played easily into the 20s and even played Kanagroux's remixed song with a 12hz line in it. No bottoming out, only beginning to stink after 10+mins of full volume burps and music on 934rms before rise.

Listen to Mobile Enclosures on airspace requirements and just tune the box low at around 30-32hz and make sure the box is very rigid and has a good amount of port area and it will have good sq and still get loud.

Fi_
03-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Plus the CVX and CVR are just round versions of the square subs anyway, with a little more cone area. Kicker will get loud in ported, sealed is meh.

The CVR has nothing in common with the L5 and L7 if anything the CVX does but only because they use the same soft parts imo the CVX is superior to the two in SQ and SPL. I've heard L7's in sealed boxes and ported and they're very impressive in sealed and Kicker highly recommends the Solo Barics in sealed. I don't even know why this is an argument I though this was like widely known lol, you sound like you've never even heard a sealed Solo Baric.

/endrant yes they move more air and probably hit better numbers ported but they sound way better sealed and they still get loud and move tons of air I think it's a close comparison if done right, argue with me once you've done a correct sealed box for L7's.

Fi_
03-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Wow lots of bs information from people lacking experience. Obviously not many who have commented have actually owned a CVX and built a box for one. I will never understand why people with no ownership experience, still feel the need to contribute worthless nonsense....

Now thats out of the way, the CVX line can have pretty decent sq if kept in a low tuned box. A month ago I built a box for a single Kicker CVX 12 and it had sq that was close to my Boston G5s (which are better than JL w6s imo) however, I had to keep the ports loaded in a corner or close to a wall in my trunk or else it would begin to roll off somewhere between 55-60hz, with a tuning of 32.5hz from 2 3inch pvc pipes and 1.85cu/ft after all displacements. It played easily into the 20s and even played Kanagroux's remixed song with a 12hz line in it. No bottoming out, only beginning to stink after 10+mins of full volume burps and music on 934rms before rise.

Listen to Mobile Enclosures on airspace requirements and just tune the box low at around 30-32hz and make sure the box is very rigid and has a good amount of port area and it will have good sq and still get loud.

I agree with this man, CVX's love big low tuned boxes and they take well over rated in these boxes... I've seen some big numbers off a lot of power and low tuning in a car with these and I have to say even for Kicker I was impressed.

wickedwitt
03-24-2012, 01:50 PM
The CVR has nothing in common with the L5 and L7 if anything the CVX does but only because they use the same soft parts imo the CVX is superior to the two in SQ and SPL. I've heard L7's in sealed boxes and ported and they're very impressive in sealed and Kicker highly recommends the Solo Barics in sealed. I don't even know why this is an argument I though this was like widely known lol, you sound like you've never even heard a sealed Solo Baric.

/endrant yes they move more air and probably hit better numbers ported but they sound way better sealed and they still get loud and move tons of air I think it's a close comparison if done right, argue with me once you've done a correct sealed box for L7's.
A CVR motor and an L5 motor are identical, I'd say that's having something in common. I wasn't saying anything about putting lower end Kicker gear up against your favorite little brand; what I was saying was why would someone that doesn't like Kicker, and has little to no experience with them know how to make them loud vs someone who has seen and been involved with hundreds of their installs? Oh that's right, you wouldn't. I never said low end Kicker is the bees knees. They like big boxes, low power, and get loud. For most people, that's all they need.

The Solo X has impressed me more as far as any single sub (not manufacturer, not numbers in burp boxes) I have ever heard. When that changes, I will change brands of woofer. Kicker does nothing for you if you a are a good customer, they don't help you on pricing or send you to SBN (things many other companies help you out with if you are a big dog for their brand), You are a number to them. The reason I stick behind it is because no one can come up to me with similar cone are on similar power and be as impressive. The day that happens, I'll be having my local store order me that brand of woofer so we can do a build for it.

wickedwitt
03-24-2012, 01:55 PM

A guy here has 2 15 L5s and had a huge excellent sealed box. It sounded good, got decently loud. He built a trash ported box for them and lost a bit of SQ but gained 3db instantly. The box was flexing, the port was flexing and his tuning was awful. My local store helped him with a proper ported box, and he gained every bit of SQ back from the sealed box, and ended up 5 db louder on only another 1 cu. ft. sized enclosure than the sealed box. Yeah, squares love them sealed boxes...

IonRL205
03-24-2012, 05:38 PM

I have heard many sealed kicker setups. Nothing too impressive, now ported definitely got loud.

My town is full of car audio noobs who have ran L5s and L7s in sealed boxes. I've heard both sealed and ported and ported outperformed it easily.

winkychevelle
03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
I have heard many sealed kicker setups. Nothing too impressive, now ported definitely got loud.

My town is full of car audio noobs who have ran L5s and L7s in sealed boxes. I've heard both sealed and ported and ported outperformed it easily.

how many of these guys have spec boxes though? im no kicker nut hugger i generally like sundown or dd but if dont right the kickers can get quite loud. yes ported is always louder at tuning but sealed has the ability to play much flatter over more octaves than most poorly designed ported boxes

Fi_
03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Ok think what you guys want lmao I've heard sealed proper boxes get louder than ported ones on sealed SoloBarics I've done testing as well, ported SoloBarics sound like such **** that I wouldn't care about a 1-2db gain lol. Their responses are weak and their range is low they are just SPL air movers man, I can solidly say they will take more power sealed and that's a fact. When you put 2800w to 2 12" L5's in a ported box come see me.

winkychevelle
03-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok think what you guys want lmao I've heard sealed proper boxes get louder than ported ones on sealed SoloBarics I've done testing as well, ported SoloBarics sound like such **** that I wouldn't care about a 1-2db gain lol. Their responses are weak and their range is low they are just SPL air movers man, I can solidly say they will take more power sealed and that's a fact. When you put 2800w to 2 12" L5's in a ported box come see me.

Ok u put that power to l5s so what i have 800 going to my comps does that mean they sound like **** or dont get loud no. I put up a respectable 138 with two cpmp 10s sealed. Could i get louder probably but they are fine for me. My cruze had 2 z12s ported to 32hzmy and it did sound better and got louder but i had more power and subs that cost me ten time more. To say they straight sound like crap means either youre a diehard sq guy or your just hating

Fi_
03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Ok u put that power to l5s so what i have 800 going to my comps does that mean they sound like **** or dont get loud no. I put up a respectable 138 with two cpmp 10s sealed. Could i get louder probably but they are fine for me. My cruze had 2 z12s ported to 32hzmy and it did sound better and got louder but i had more power and subs that cost me ten time more. To say they straight sound like crap means either youre a diehard sq guy or your just hating

They don't sound bad compared to sealed per say just a lot more sloppy and less power handling from my experiences. The guy who will quote what I've said hits 152's off his 4 15 L7's sealed off 4k I'm just saying they get almost as loud sealed as ported and they sound a ton better, I wouldn't port L5's or L7's, I'm not saying COMPS don't get loud ported they do lol and sound good doing it the square subs don't hell CVX's like big ported boxes with low tuning. I've just NEVER heard a good sounding ported L5/L7 system, never.

and putting 800w to a pair of comps is nbd I use to run a AP1500.1D to a pair clipping and they lasted awhile sounded terrible though... I think we can all agree almost 3k to 2 L5 12's sealed is pretty wicked.

oh well apparently I'm clueless I don't run Kicker so I could be wrong but I've seen good ported and good sealed builds with L5's AND L7's and I deffinatly prefer sealing the Squares.

oldschool4me
03-25-2012, 02:44 PM
i had cvr 12s and 10s. ok at best imo. key word is had....poop sq...no punch at all sealed or ported. if you like rock stay away from those. heard a l5 12 and it was kinda the same...two l7 8s ....same thing. no punch. i had a comp 12 that had more punch and sounded better imo. but none of the newer ones that i have hear compare to the old kicker round solobarics and bigger comps aka seperates. love my os kicker 18s and i also have an old mint round solobaric. if i was going for a sq type set up i woudnt consider kicker at all. just my 2 pennies.

Moble Enclosurs
03-25-2012, 07:20 PM

It sounds like the ported designs you have messed with may have not been properly designed. Any ported enclosure with the transience of a sealed design and the phase output that is a smooth rollover can be much different in the right environment from a sealed design. SO, in my professional experience, unless you have an idea on whether a sealed or ported enclosure for the mentioned designs are required for a particular space, and what the proper characteristics are, then the comparison of the two are completely nulled and only based on personal experience and personal preference.
You can make a sealed enclosure sound much better than a ported one in the right space and within the right constraints. BUT, as long as the ported enclosure is proper and you are comparing SPL measurements, the ported enclosure will be far greater in output than any sealed one on the market, based on added acoustics and efficiency,as long as power is constant among other factors.

You cannot compare an SPL setup either with one of SQ based acoustics due to the fact that nearly every factor of each are completely designed in different manners as well. SO, it sounds like there is a confusion between the two while this discussion is continuing. Better first to figure a proper comparison than throw out personal experience on only one environmental factor, where at lest 3 are required for accurate calculations with a comparison.

To me, most of the information on this thread is null. No proper comparison seems to have been made to back up most of the information here anyhow. No graphs visible, no real world experiences are noted or recorded. It is all personal preference at this point and most seem to be based on ported designs that have not been properly designed for the comparison to be accurate anyhow.

If you have a ported design that matches the response and phase curves and other variables of that with a sealed enclosure, then a proper response and final one can be concluded about which kind of enclosures these will outperform the other in certain areas in an anechoic environment. And then, only then, can the factor of environmental variables come into play for different situations to give changes in those responses to give which would be better in that type of environment for the preference measured (SQ, SPL ETC).
Too much has not been done for any one to say yet which type of enclosure any of these drivers will work best in. Mainly because it can change if only a single factor changes.
basically, any driver can be put into any enclosure and have its own response and output. No single one is the same nor should they be..its pure physics and acoustics. BUT, some can compare very well to each other, and to tell you the truth....a comparison between sealed and ported is not very accurate because they are naturally very different and are designed different as well. Just not a good comparison to go by. Better to have one done from scratch then rely on anyones personal experience, because yours may be much different in design and output.
Some environments just won't work for what you are looking for and then limitations are a major factor to what you can make work. Too much involved to trust any words of general volume, port area, placement, etc for someone to use accurately. Granted, you may get what you are looking for, BUT until you hear a proper one for your specific setup, you may be limited to your own hearing abilities until one day you do finally realize something else is better out there.

Take the example of using a FLAC recording vs an MP3..WORLDS OF DIFFERENCE!, But some people swear by the quality of MP3 and even use it in SQ comps. because they may have never heard a FLAC before. Just an example.