PDA

View Full Version : worth the trouble?

sam_b03
03-22-2012, 06:00 AM
I bought a Eclipse 7200 MKII for a project that is will more than likely get started less than once a month. I got to thinking about why not put this HU in my DD were I can take advantage of it more regularly.

My current set up is
Pioneer 3300bt
CDT HD642 3 way component. Installed as 2 way with 4in as rear fill. The 6 mids get full range.
Clarion APX4360 90x4 or 300x2 (it is bridged now)
SA-12 sealed in 1.1 after displacement.
ONYX 1500.1

potential set up
Eclipse 7200 mKII
CDT HD642's probably remove the rear fill
Clarion APX for the mids; old Linear amp 50x2 for the tweets
same sub or IDQ12v2 and a matching amp.

My question is would it be worth the trouble of going active? I have never knowingly listened a truely active system and am curious if it would be a noticable differents for the better. I realize it can take some time to dial it in.

NoLoud4U
03-22-2012, 06:19 AM
I just got my 2 way active setup dialed in yesterday. I dont think I will ever go back to passive crossovers.

Bettr n' Revrse
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
As long as the mids and tweets will cross over fine as a 2 way I don't see why not...

mlstrass
03-22-2012, 08:17 AM
if you're willing to put some time into it then yes active can be better. Will that HU do 4-way though...

Why So Cereal?
03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
^ I don't think it will. So you'll be running 2 way fronts and subs if u go straight off the deck.

sam_b03
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I have the time to play with it. I haven't ever heard an active set up and don't know if it would sound any/much better than with passive. If I change everything up and I can't really tell a difference I would pretty disappointed. My current HU plays DVD's, aux in the front,Ipod ready, and blue tooth. I listen to my Ipod 80% of the time and XM the rest.

I ran out of room and didn't want to cut my car up too much so I mounted the 4in in a rear speaker hole that is on the B-pillar. So that kind mangles my sound stage anyway. I pulled the 6 on crossover so it could produce more sound and pull the sound stage forward.

HD-6•130 watts power handling- at 100 Hz High Pass
•frequency response 55Hz-7kHz flat(6.5-octave response)

DRT-25 tweeter Frequency response 1500Hz-20.000Hz. I have read that they can hand 50watts if done carefully but 35 is much safer, and it is better to cross them over around 3700Hz.

murph
03-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I have the time to play with it. I haven't ever heard an active set up and don't know if it would sound any/much better than with passive. If I change everything up and I can't really tell a difference I would pretty disappointed. My current HU plays DVD's, aux in the front,Ipod ready, and blue tooth. I listen to my Ipod 80% of the time and XM the rest.

I ran out of room and didn't want to cut my car up too much so I mounted the 4in in a rear speaker hole that is on the B-pillar. So that kind mangles my sound stage anyway. I pulled the 6 on crossover so it could produce more sound and pull the sound stage forward.

3 way would sound real nice active over 2 way.

sam_b03
03-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I don't think I can do 3 way active with this head unit. It only has 3 rca's in the back. I could if I wanted to not have a sub stage. I think with where the 3rd speaker is mounted it would mess up the sound more than it would help. The car is a 370Z. I didn't have room in the doors, and I don't want my speakers getting destroyed in the kick panels. It already has some small footwells and I have big friends. Most of the people that ride in my car are well over 6ft.