PDA

View Full Version : Tools for car audio?

Pearson
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Everyone has to start somewhere and i'm trying to figure out where to start my tool collection. I have hand tools and an air compressor but after looking around I don't really have any tools that help with car audio. Just tools for maintenance on my truck and the wife's car.

I guess i'm just asking for a list of tools that people use all the time when working on their system. I'm looking for tools that'll be used for box building, speaker baffles, false floors, and other jobs that are kind of common. If they have a practical use for other than car audio that's a plus, as I can convince the wife as to why I need this and she'd be willing to deal with it unless it's strictly for car audio. :sneaky: She already has a system in her car, I just kinda threw it together, so she thinks it's done and there's no reason to mess with it again. :(

Tools I have/know are needed:
- DMM
- Wire Stripper/Crimper
- Soldering Gun
- Zip Ties/Wire Loom

Tools I think are needed:
- Table Saw
- Skill Saw
- Router
- Dremel
- ??????

dirtyunclerandy
03-10-2012, 02:34 PM
circle jig for your router

schackel
03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
circle jig for your router

that girl is thick in your sig. trying way too hard too

MisterDeadeye
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
that girl is thick in your sig. trying way too hard too

That's why she has to stay in bikinis. People only like to see her ****.

Dirtrider4eva
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
idc what you guys say, id gladly have tht chick.lol

maylar
03-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Tools I have/know are needed:
- DMM
- Wire Stripper/Crimper
- Soldering Gun
- Zip Ties/Wire Loom

Tools I think are needed:
- Table Saw
- Skill Saw
- Router
- Dremel
- ??????

Wire cutters, needle nose pliers. Need a power screwdriver (Philips) bit and a good portable drill with extra battery. Standard hand tools, mostly small stuff like 1/4" drive with extensions. Magnetic wand or claw for when you drop screws deep into the dash. And some cars need a special pry tool for getting door panels off.

Your compressor and impact wrench will be appreciated if you have to take out seats (those seatbelt bolts are TIGHT).

Need measuring tools too; tape measure, combination square and a carpenter's square.

I'm sure I'll thinnk of more...

g-dogg619
04-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Dont forget zip ties and bandaides (lots of them), soldering gun, electrical tape and the list will go on. Try harbor freight for tools they are good on pricing and shipping.

rc10mike
04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Dikes

logiball
04-23-2012, 10:38 PM
A hammer, a big hammer, and a bigger hammer, high limit credit card, paypal account, patient wife, 9lbs of butt connectors, bright garage lights, 5/8'' drill bit for drilling through firewalls, grommets for aforementioned hole, one of those portable battery jump things, 1 5/8'' hole saw for speaker terminals in you sub boxes, black zipties, lots and lots of black zipties, and last but not least caraudio.com/forum!!!!

Audio4ever
04-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Dikes

i tried but my girl said she doesnt go that way lol

sacsking916
04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Hydraulic crimpers, torch, an solder

UnderFire
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I've got a million zip ties need 12 gauge speaker wire...

CHEMMINS
04-23-2012, 11:18 PM
Wood clamps, wood glue, brad nailer, utility knife, work lights that can be stuffed up into a dash, solder iron, solder, heat shrink, various screwdrivers, crimpers, table saw or straight edge and circular saw, router or jig saw, sander, shop vac.......SMD DD-1.....

That be about the majors.

Kangaroux
04-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Everything I use for installs is as follows:

Phillips and flathead screwdrivers
Needlenose pliers
Socket wrench
Box cutter/exact-o knife
Table vice (for crimping)
Lots of electrical tape

For building boxes I use..

1 5/8" coarse thread screws for most of the box, 1 1/4" for double/flush baffles, and 2" screws for attaching double/flush baffles to the sides of the enclosure
Titebond II wood glue
23/32" Aruacoply (costs $30 a sheet at homedepot)
Liquid nails for sealing the enclosure
1/8" drill bit and 1/4" counter sink bit
Tape measure, square and T-square

TheUnderFighter
04-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Most of the tools have been mentioned here. If you don't have one already, get yourself a cordless drill! It made my life so much more easier. Preferably get one with an 18v li-ion battery and built in LED. And, get a good set of step bits with it, that will make getting through firewalls a ton easier.
Just about everyone suggested the rest. Router, circle jig, table saw, dremel, wood clamps, wood glue, silicone, heat shring, ring terminals, butt conectors, electrical tape... I'll link a topic that did a good job summing all this up.

EDIT: Pretty useful list here, not sure if you have to be a member to view: http://forum.edesignaudio.com/showthread.php/master-list-installer-tools-42585.html