PDA

View Full Version : cca vs ofc speka wire

CAT MAN
03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
since ac current comes out the amp. wouldnt cca be the best wire to use ? discuss.

jockhater2
03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
since ac current comes out the amp. wouldnt cca be the best wire to use ? discuss.

True Spec vs CCA (Stinger Electronics) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnPPdztIAI)

watch from 2:30-5

RAM_Designs
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
True Spec vs CCA (Stinger Electronics) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnPPdztIAI)

watch from 2:30-5

Kind of irrelevant when you should never put yourself in a situation with that much of a load and a 17ft run of 8gauge wire. And anyone running something that is capable of a continuous 70amps of current for that long is going to be running 4gauge wire more than likely. I mean, it's good to show the absolute limits of things, but it's no surprise that CCA vs OFC of the same strand count is going to favor the OFC. When you get companies like Knu who oversize their CCA, then the benefits get smaller and smaller.

duanebro
03-10-2012, 11:08 AM

The type of current does not matter. How did you come up with this idea?

RAM_Designs
03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Also, I'm not super familiar with the construction of these wires, but maybe the Stinger's jacket has better heat dissipation as well?

CAT MAN
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
The type of current does not matter. How did you come up with this idea?

the fact that over the years i have ben told cca is best for ac current. hence why our power lines are big strands of metal lol

duanebro
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
the fact that over the years i have ben told cca is best for ac current. hence why our power lines are big strands of metal lol

Power lines are aluminum. But it has nothing to do with it being a better conductor. It is just way cheaper. This is also why they run very high voltage - so the current is less, and the efficiency is way up, even though the conductor has a higher resistance they can use smaller wires.