PDA

View Full Version : Head unit not putting out as much power to the right side RCA's

itsblown
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
well driving home the other day I noticed that the right side of my car seemed much quieter. at first I thought it was just me but then a few other people noticed that the right side wasn't as loud. So I went to my mono block amp for my subs (head unit turned off) and unplugged the left side RCA(the one I believe to be louder) after turning my head unit on and playing some bass my subs were no where near as loud as they should be. So I went to my speaker amp(head unit off) and swapped the left and right side RCAs. Now the left side or drivers side of my cars speakers were much louder.

For some reason I think my head unit isnt putting out as much voltage through the right side RCA's. What could cause this? is the head unit blown? anyway I can test it with a dmm and find out whats happening?

SourDeez
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
It's either your headunit or your RCAs if you were able to swap sides and it worked, it's not the amp or the subs, its the signal

nismos14
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Did you check fade and balance connections? Are you sure all of your RCA's are fully inserted? Are you sure none of the RCA's are bad?

itsblown
03-08-2012, 04:36 PM
yes I checked fade and balance. as soon as i fliped the left and right RCA connections on my speaker amp the other side god louder. also I have 2 sets of rcas 1 for my monoblock and one for my speaker amp so enless both sets of rcas failed I dont believe its the RCA's is there anyone I can test the head units pre out voltage with a dmm?

SourDeez
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
yes I checked fade and balance. as soon as i fliped the left and right RCA connections on my speaker amp the other side god louder. also I have 2 sets of rcas 1 for my monoblock and one for my speaker amp so enless both sets of rcas failed I dont believe its the RCA's is there anyone I can test the head units pre out voltage with a dmm?

well think about it.. process of elimination.. you can rule out the subs and amp.. if you tried a different set of RCA, then you rule out the RCA.

whats left... the headunit output. What else could it be

itsblown
03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
well think about it.. process of elimination.. you can rule out the subs and amp.. if you tried a different set of RCA, then you rule out the RCA.

whats left... the headunit output. What else could it be
The sadness that has fallen over me... lol well I would still like to be sure that both of my RCA's didnt get messed up at the same time some how. Im not experienced at all at using a dmm but I do have one anyway I can test the actualy pre out voltage on the back of the head unit?

maylar
03-08-2012, 05:54 PM
If you use a test tone, like 0dB at 50 or 60 hz, yes you can check the HU preouts. Should be close to the 2 or 4 or whatever rated voltage is. AC volts function, measure between the RCA tip and sleeve (or the hole in the HU connector to ground).

nismos14
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
What HU is it?