PDA

View Full Version : Please give feedback on my Hybrid Clarus install and door deadening (pics inside)

hari-bhari
03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I just installed a set of Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2s and wanted some advice on my install, particularly the mid installation. I am currently running them active from a carPC with the following parameters:

HPF at 63hz @ 24db for the mids
HPF/LPF at 5.9khz for the mids/tweets (can't tell the difference between anything in the 5k-6k range, so I just picked something)

Currently, I have to boost the 60 and 120hz bands by about 6db to get good midbass response, but of course this does muddy up the mid range a little bit. I am wondering if theres anything I can do to improve my install.

Speakers are mounted on 3/4" thick MDF rings surrounded by weatherstripping clay. Tweets are in stock locations aimed slightly forward and upwards.

I've used Raammat on the inner door skin (both sides, 1 layer), and on the outer door skin behind the speaker (whatever I could reach). The large holes in the outer door skin were sealed with a plexiglass sheet, but this still seems to have some flex. Any recs for what I can change it to or how to improve midbass response?

Any advice is appreciated!

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7387/photo1iul.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4806/photo2sq.jpg
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/2687/photo5xx.jpg
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5006/photo4va.jpghttp://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4033/photo2ra.jpg

Why So Cereal?
03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Running subs? Have T/a? Try delaying the mids to reach your ears the same time as the subs. I recently did this, and I'm still tweaking it, but there now seems to be a sub in my dash :) worked wonders for me!

Also, make sure you're not getting midbass cancellation between the two midbass drivers due to some phasing issues.

wenn_du_weinst
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
what the **** why didn't my post stick
anyway seal the panel to the door skin, your losing output by it playing in between the skin and panel.

SourDeez
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
anyway seal the panel to the door skin, your losing output by it playing in between the skin and panel.

Which part is the skin?

wenn_du_weinst
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
the metal part of the door that is deadened.

hari-bhari
03-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Running subs? Have T/a? Try delaying the mids to reach your ears the same time as the subs. I recently did this, and I'm still tweaking it, but there now seems to be a sub in my dash :) worked wonders for me!

Also, make sure you're not getting midbass cancellation between the two midbass drivers due to some phasing issues.

i am using time alingment and my midbass and bass is centered, just lacking some punch in the midbass department. they dont seem to be moving as much air as they could/should. when i bandpass my rear 6x9s from 60-125hz, i get gooooood midbass, but it messes up my soundstage.

keep_hope_alive
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Is the clay around the speaker sealing against the door panel?

hari-bhari
03-08-2012, 01:20 AM
there's another layer i put between the mdf ring and the door. so its speaker --> clay --> mdf ring --> clay --> door

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

not sure what you mean by this? do you mean to basically put an enclosure behind the speaker?

keep_hope_alive
03-09-2012, 08:21 AM
not sure what you mean by this? do you mean to basically put an enclosure behind the speaker?

no, he means the plastic door panel should seal around the speaker - against the metal door panel/baffle. I think that's what the extra clay is doing.

you don't want to sound to get between the plastic panel and the door metal - it will result in panel vibrations, lots of phase interference, and general poor results.

I see the OP is using rope caulk. Non-hardening modeling clay is superior in that it will not harden and crack. The point of clay is for it to never harden. Hobby/Craft stores sell it for like $4 a pack.

hari-bhari
03-09-2012, 09:27 AM
the front of the speaker is sealed to the plastic door skin with some more clay. i used the non-hardening molding clay for my last install, but after when i changed these speakers out 3 years later, i saw that it has actually hardened. plus it is much messier and difficult to deal with. i thought the rope caulk actually worked better IMO.

hari-bhari
03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
so any advice to actually improve the door deadening?

CADENCE SOUND
03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
d.a.m.n all that work and still lacking mid-bass? Doesn't seem right..

Non-hardening modeling clay is superior in that it will not harden and crack. The point of clay is for it to never harden. Hobby/Craft stores sell it for like $4 a pack.

And this stuff is golden!

keep_hope_alive
03-09-2012, 11:51 AM
rope caulk will harden and crack much faster than the clay. and you need to be sure to not get the air-hardenening stuff (similar packaging). some versions are made to harden without baking. i've considered that stuff for tweeter pods.

i will try some Green Glue in my next version of door pods. That stuff never hardens and is engineered to provide damping.

the non-hardening clay i used in my apillars is still soft after several years. note that "hardness" varies with temperature. so it's harder in the winter and softer in the summer. that's why i still rely on foam/rubber weatherstripping for seals and decoupling.

keep_hope_alive
03-09-2012, 11:53 AM
from there, midbass relies on PLD, so T/A is vital with door placements. just consider midbass wavelengths and the typical PLD in a car.