PDA

View Full Version : New sub won't seal on box

kr
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I just switched over to a Sundown SA-12 from an Alpine Type-R, and the SA just really doesn't want to fit like the type-r did. This was a custom box I got for free (well, I paid for supplies, but that's it, so I can't complain) and the sub hole isn't a perfect circle, so I'm guessing that's what's keeping this SA from seating all the way to the box. It's barely noticeable until I start playing music, then I can hear and feel the air escaping around the sub.

I don't have any tools to try and fix the hole on the box (and even if I did, I'd probably make it worse lol). Is there any other way I can get this sub to seal up? What if I lay down a decently thick bead of silicone around the hole, waited for it to dry then try putting the sub on? Or any other suggestions?

Also, what is the best recommended way to seal up these screw holes since I'm going to have to take the sub off? I used gorilla glue in the old holes from the type-r.. maybe that wasn't the best idea lol.

duanebro
03-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Go to Home depot or lowes. Buy a foam sanding block, the one with the lowest number you can fine, should be about 80 grit. Also buy closed cell foam tape. They have sevral sizes, just get one that you think will fill the gap. (Around 1/4" by 3/8") Sand the excess glue. If the sub hits the box sand that also. Put the tape one the sub or box to seal any gaps still remaining.

kr
03-07-2012, 01:04 AM
This tape? (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware-hardware-fasteners-weather-stripping/thermwell-products-3-4-in-x-17-ft-closedcell-weatherseal-tape-173213.html) And does that mean that the gorilla way of filling the holes is ok as long as it's sanded down to a flat surface afterwards?

IonRL205
03-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Use t-nuts and screws when you install your SA that way you can install/remove it as many times as you like without worrying about having problems screwing it back in.

kr
03-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Use t-nuts and screws when you install your SA that way you can install/remove it as many times as you like without worrying about having problems screwing it back in.

Ah, I like that idea. Then I can just drill out the newest screw holes for the t-nut instead of filling them in. Is this the method you use when doing it that way?

Mounting subwoofers in a box, the right way : Mobile Electronics (http://www.silveradosierra.com/mobile-electronics/mounting-subwoofers-in-a-box-the-right-way-t774.html)

IonRL205
03-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeah, except I skipped the solder part and didn't glue mine.

kr
03-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Yeah, my box isn't carpeted so I don't have to worry about the solder part anyway. Well, I'll try the closed-cell foam tape and using t-nuts and bolts to get this sub seated and sealed right then. Thanks everybody for the help. I'm sure I'll be back here if it doesn't work for some reason lol.