PDA

View Full Version : Polyester Fill/Batting in a Ported Box

Cinderella
03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey everybody. Lately, I've been living off of an Alpine Type R 15" sub getting about 900w from a Hifonics BRZ1200.1d. Well, the sub slams, and its sound quality is great. However, I'm looking to go a bit 'boomier'. My Type R is in a 3.8 cu. ft. box with about 2.8 cubic feet of actual room, with the port subtracted. Well, my original plan was to have a bit bigger of a box, but this is what I ended up with. Well, in order to get that little edge, do you think poly-fill or poly-batting would be a good implication? After reading up on it online, I'm gonna put about 1.3 lb./ft. of stuffing, but I'll slowly keep adding it until I find that sweet spot. It's gonna lower the tuning freq. of the box, but I'm fine with that. My question is, what are your guys' experience with polyester filling in ported boxes? How much did you add to find optimal performance?

skylineTT
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I rarely see them in custom boxes but I can't imaging that it would hurt. If anything, get the polyester mat (comes in rolls) and staple it to the walls of the enclosure. Don't just throw a ton of ripped up pillow stuffing in the box.

Forgot by my buddy just built a box in an impala and used polyfill mat on the walls. I'll ask him how it turned out.

HillBillyJoe
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I tried it, didn't notice any difference, I don't think it works like in a sealed enclosure. If anything its for reducing port resonance

skylineTT
03-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I tried it, didn't notice any difference, I don't think it works like in a sealed enclosure. If anything its for reducing port resonance

I figured that was why kicker did it in their enclosures. Idk though

HillBillyJoe
03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I had an atrend prefab with two treo 12"s, didn't quite hit the low lows, so i stuffed it with poly-fill, about 1lb. No difference in tuning or volume to the ear. Now sealed, thats a different story, my current box with two 15s is stuffed with 1.5lbs in each chamber, and **** slams the lows down to ~28hz.

Cinderella
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I rarely see them in custom boxes but I can't imaging that it would hurt. If anything, get the polyester mat (comes in rolls) and staple it to the walls of the enclosure. Don't just throw a ton of ripped up pillow stuffing in the box.

Forgot by my buddy just built a box in an impala and used polyfill mat on the walls. I'll ask him how it turned out.

Yeah, I know it'd make a lot bigger difference in a sealed box, but I heard it'd also benefit in a custom ported one..

I was planning on using poly-batting (almost like sheets of poly-fill) and just stapling it to the walls of the enclosure. Like you said, it wouldn't hurt to try. I know walmart has that pillow-stuffing crap, but I'm trying to think of the nearest place that would have sheets of it.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. :)