PDA

View Full Version : how long wait before putting sub in box (due to sealant gases)?/did I damage my sub?

RSDXzec
03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
I just made my ported box today and put in some acrylic sealant. About 3 hours after I put the sealant in I put the sub in (I didn't play music through it) because I had no idea about the gases released from the sealant causing sub damage. About 2 hours later I read info on the net about silicone sealant gases damaging subs so I quickly took the sub out of the box.
Even though it said acrylic sealant I'd assume there's some silicone in there.

Did having the sub in there cause damage to the sub? Is there anything I can do about it if so?
And how long should I wait before putting the sub in? Info on the net ranges from 24hrs to 5 days so I'd like to know what people on here do.

Cheers.

Ignatowski
03-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Dood,this has to be the craziest thing I ever read - you aussies!

kottkamp44
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM
let mine cure to the touch usually 4-6 hrs then load up and start pounding away

RSDXzec
03-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Dood,this has to be the craziest thing I ever read - you aussies!

not a very helpful response...

let mine cure to the touch usually 4-6 hrs then load up and start pounding away

really? and you use silicone sealant?
Guess I haven't got much to worry about after all...

kottkamp44
03-04-2012, 08:25 AM
always pure silicone never acryllic , and ive been building boxes almost 10 years that way

RSDXzec
03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
always pure silicone never acryllic , and ive been building boxes almost 10 years that way

wow ok thanks for the info, good to know it works. I'm not as worried any more now as I was when I found out about it.
Would you say acrylic sealant has less toxic gases than silicone?
All information/warnings I find on the net says silicone releases gases but I can't find anything about acrylic.

hispls
03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I always use the cheapest Acrylic I can find (low end ALEX Plus at any paint store). I generally as soon as I put my tools away I have the sub mounted and playing...then again I'm very hard on my equipment and I plan to break woofers long before surround fails.

Long story short, it may shorten the life of the foam surround, but likely it's nothing you'd notice in the next couple years.

Spooney
03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
This would be a good one for myth busters LOL. I have been into car audio and building my own enclosures for 15 years plus and I always use silicone for my enclosures. I rarely wait for the silicone to cure before mounting the subs and I haven't had any surround failure issues. I have heard of it happening to others though.

RSDXzec
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I always use the cheapest Acrylic I can find (low end ALEX Plus at any paint store). I generally as soon as I put my tools away I have the sub mounted and playing...then again I'm very hard on my equipment and I plan to break woofers long before surround fails.

Long story short, it may shorten the life of the foam surround, but likely it's nothing you'd notice in the next couple years.

sweet, yeah I'll most likely be using this for the next 3 years until I get a new car and some far better audio gear. So if it lasts me 3 years I'm relatively happy.

This would be a good one for myth busters LOL. I have been into car audio and building my own enclosures for 15 years plus and I always use silicone for my enclosures. I rarely wait for the silicone to cure before mounting the subs and I haven't had any surround failure issues. I have heard of it happening to others though.

Good to know, I will be waiting until tomorrow to use it so I'd say it will see about 18 hours drying time before I start playing music on it. Should be enough imo.

kottkamp44
03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
plenty of time just stick with silicone acrylic sux