PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about "bending" a port?

RSDXzec
02-29-2012, 05:47 AM
I'm looking at making a box in the next couple of days and my design is almost complete. Right now I'm trying to reduce port air velocity. My concern is that the box I am building doesn't have enough room for a straight port at decent air speeds. I will be making the port out of wood so it will be a rectangular shape. In order to do this do I just take the recommended length of the port, find the volume of that, then when designing the port I make sure that it has the same internal volume?

Cheers.

Imtjnotu
02-29-2012, 06:06 AM
you can cut 45's into the corners or taking thin thin ply and bending them in the corners

RSDXzec
02-29-2012, 06:24 AM
you can cut 45's into the corners or taking thin thin ply and bending them in the corners

I will be putting 45s into the corners of the port, so what I said earlier was correct? I just need the same volume?

RSDXzec
02-29-2012, 10:22 PM
bump for a very easy question.

caseyarndt
03-01-2012, 12:47 AM
To reduce velocity I assume you want to make the port larger. but for a larger sqin port to have the same volume it would have to be shorter which would raise the tuning. So if you want to keep the same tuning and make the port larger you would need to lengthen the port. You could try playing around with this box calculator.RE AUDIO - Box Calculator (http://reaudio.com/box.php) Put in the specs of the box you have now to see what its tuned too and if that tuning sounds good to you just widen the "square port width" a bit and then adjust the "square port length 2" until its back to the same tune.
Hope i helped.

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 01:00 AM
RE AUDIO - Box Calculator (http://reaudio.com/box.php)

:eyebrow:

knotdrummer88
03-01-2012, 01:05 AM
RE AUDIO - Box Calculator (http://reaudio.com/box.php)

:eyebrow:
helps with basic calculations doesn't it?

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
helps with basic calculations doesn't it?

Yeah but I wouldn't recommend it.

Louisiana_CRX
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
heat gun///heat pvc pipe then bend carefully

caseyarndt
03-01-2012, 01:12 AM
That one is just so easy to use, you get a visual, and dont have to download anything. Too bad its a little off, which i dont see how because it must use the same. formula

Chriszle
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
I heard the RE calculator gives inaccurate information with regards to tuning and/or volume. Haven't checked any of the calculations personally as I have no need to use their box calculator.

knotdrummer88
03-01-2012, 01:20 AM
does anyone have win isd for a mac?

RSDXzec
03-01-2012, 02:12 AM
I heard the RE calculator gives inaccurate information with regards to tuning and/or volume. Haven't checked any of the calculations personally as I have no need to use their box calculator.

yeah the dimensions I'm getting on there are a bit different to what I calculated using winisd.

heat gun///heat pvc pipe then bend carefully

based on this it's pretty safe to assume as long as the port volume is the same it doesn't matter if it's bent.

Louisiana_CRX
03-01-2012, 02:14 AM
yeah the dimensions I'm getting on there are a bit different to what I calculated using winisd.

based on this it's pretty safe to assume as long as the port volume is the same it doesn't matter if it's bent.

yep

RSDXzec
03-01-2012, 02:17 AM

yep

thanks, that's all I was trying to get answered in this thread...