PDA

View Full Version : New guy here; looking to learn some things.

LeadSlinger
02-29-2012, 01:33 AM
What's up folks?

I've had decent car audio before, but it was professionally installed. Now I'm driving an old truck ('95 Bronco) to and from the oilfield, and it gets the hell beaten out of it! Trying not to spend much money on it (so I'm doing my own installs) but since it's kind of my home away from home I have to have a good system in it.

I bought the Bronco a year ago with stock speakers and the Sony head unit (in my sig). My roomie donated the Infinity powered sub to me and it helped a lot. Then one of the stock speakers blew and I replaced them with Polks. While I know this is all entry-level stuff it's helped a lot; and I've caught the bug.

I had a '92 Bronco years ago with an Alpine head and V12 four channel powering Focal components up front and a Bazooka sub (remember when those were hot?). Anyway, this build will be better.

I've been lurking for a little while just trying to figure out what gear I should be looking for while I get the plan together. The sub is doing fine for now, but the head needs to go, the fronts are okay for now (will get nice comps soon), and might get some coaxs for the rear (but I don't have passengers very often).

Anyway, I definitely have some things to learn, but am looking forward to the end result. Is it ever over?

Jeff

matt_bennett05
02-29-2012, 01:38 AM
In my opinion NO. It will never be... I thought 3k rms on four 15" and full loud comps in all doors would satisfy me... it did...

...for a little while. If you love music and having better sound it won't ever end.

IonRL205
02-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Yeah you'll eventually get used to it and want more lol

LeadSlinger
02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
LOL! I guess my main concern is getting decent enough sound up front (mids and highs). There are so many solutions for bass and its not like the Bronco is hurting for space. I'm hoping to mount amps under the back seat, which limits me a little bit in terms of space but also brings up some thermal issues. However I seem to be drawn more toward old school amps that are just a giant heat sink on the outside.

So, my journey begins looking for a sweet 4 channel amp and some awesome components. I had Focals before but might be looking for something a little more rock 'n roll this time:yumyum:

The hunt is on!

hispls
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I remember when bazooka tubes were popular (late 80's). In the same era Polk was made in USA and also very very nice.

If you like old school amps many can be had for very short money these days which you'll like. Plenty of new stuff that's pretty good too. Look around and see what the recent forum boners are. Also search around to see what is junk and what to avoid.

jirehn
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi welcome most in this forum, Hope you can have a great time staying here.

Isabella8688
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi welcome most in this forum, Hope you can have a great time staying here.

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

FlexnInLa
03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
In my opinion NO. It will never be... I thought 3k rms on four 15" and full loud comps in all doors would satisfy me... it did...

...for a little while. If you love music and having better sound it won't ever end.

It never ends.

Renzone3
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Nope never ends at first your setups sound loud enough for you then you feel you want something more cus you got used to your bass.lol

jockhater2
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
F the rear.
Its all about the front state. Most likely if you have ppl in your car. Your system isnt on