PDA

View Full Version : New Build for Dodge Ram Mega Cab Ideas?

Danomish
02-27-2012, 09:26 PM
First post here although I have been reading alot. I am building a new system for my 08 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins and originally was gearing towards pure sq, but now I've found that most of the products peaking my interest are more SQL. I'm not trying to go SPL, I like quality but rarely will want to bump. I am looking for advice on where to go with this as I have outlined what I have below:

Chassis and misc:
1/0 gauge knuconcepts
50 sq ft 80 mil sound dampening (for doors)
100 sq ft 50 mil sound dampening (for under carpet)
old 30 Farad stinger cap (had sitting around might as well use it)
300 amp Circuit breaker
AudioQuest wire for all mids and highs

Subs:
1 pair 12" Fi Q subs cooling added, internal lead, spider upgrade with high qts
1 sealed box with approx 1 cu ft per sub, separated spaces.
1 Sundown SAZ 3500

Rear:
1 pair RE audio XXX 6.5" Components
MB Quart ON4.125 (also powering 2 fronts)

Fronts:
PPI 356CS Components (probably going in q-logic kick panels I just ordered)
Infinity Kappa 32.9cf (dash speakers)
Old Sony 60x4@4 (for the two pair above)

What Im thinking of adding:
JBL MS-8 MS Series Digital Processor
Cadence Ceq-773 7 Band Paragraphic Equalizer
Cadence Acoustics ZRS710KIT 7-Inch x 10-Inch (I'm not sure about this one... would fiberglass to go on front doors with a whole through the door panel to recess it more)
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH (When it comes out. Im set on this)

What I'm asking:
1. Should I do any polyfill in the subs for a bit deeper bass or am I good @ 1 cu ft?
2. Is the JBL MS-8 a good Idea with this many speakers?
3. The ZRS710KIT, i found no reviews anywhere. And I have never done fiberglass, I know its a bit of work but I am really handy. I know I could get a 6.5 in there without fiber. I think I'm attracted to it because of the lack of knowledge online about Cadence
4. Any thoughts/comments/ideas? (Except for the cap. I know they don't do what they are marketed to do. It will be a nice distribution block)

Much thanks and appreciation in advance.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 09:38 PM
WTF is with
"Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."

I cant finish my post. And Im not using hyperlinks.[COLOR="Silver"]

EDIT: nevermind, got it. But I think it was screwing with me.

RangerDangerV2
02-27-2012, 09:39 PM
throw away the cap!!!!!!!!!

Bettr n' Revrse
02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Pics of Cummins? lol

Danomish
02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
lol?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/61704_1377095307416_1232853640_30855006_1699935_n. jpg

idk if your not believing me but here it is with my 5th wheel at burning man last year.

JoshC
02-27-2012, 09:54 PM
First post here although I have been reading alot. I am building a new system for my 08 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins and originally was gearing towards pure sq, but now I've found that most of the products peaking my interest are more SQL. I'm not trying to go SPL, I like quality but rarely will want to bump. I am looking for advice on where to go with this as I have outlined what I have below:

Chassis and misc:
1/0 gauge knuconcepts
50 sq ft 80 mil sound dampening (for doors)
100 sq ft 50 mil sound dampening (for under carpet)
old 30 Farad stinger cap (had sitting around might as well use it)
300 amp Circuit breaker
AudioQuest wire for all mids and highs

Subs:
1 pair 12" Fi Q subs cooling added, internal lead, spider upgrade with high qts
1 sealed box with approx 1 cu ft per sub, separated spaces.
1 Sundown SAZ 3500

Rear:
1 pair RE audio XXX 6.5" Components
MB Quart ON4.125 (also powering 2 fronts)

Fronts:
PPI 356CS Components (probably going in q-logic kick panels I just ordered)
Infinity Kappa 32.9cf (dash speakers)
Old Sony 60x4@4 (for the two pair above)

What Im thinking of adding:
JBL MS-8 MS Series Digital Processor
Cadence Ceq-773 7 Band Paragraphic Equalizer
Cadence Acoustics ZRS710KIT 7-Inch x 10-Inch (I'm not sure about this one... would fiberglass to go on front doors with a whole through the door panel to recess it more)
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH (When it comes out. Im set on this)

What I'm asking:
1. Should I do any polyfill in the subs for a bit deeper bass or am I good @ 1 cu ft?
2. Is the JBL MS-8 a good Idea with this many speakers?
3. The ZRS710KIT, i found no reviews anywhere. And I have never done fiberglass, I know its a bit of work but I am really handy. I know I could get a 6.5 in there without fiber. I think I'm attracted to it because of the lack of knowledge online about Cadence
4. Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

Much thanks and appreciation in advance.

Failure, do some research. Caps dont hold energy at a high enough voltage to serve there purpose, making them pointless

Bettr n' Revrse
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Ya no cap... Nahhh I believe you Im just am diesel guy haha

Danomish
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah Yeah Yeah... caps **** I know. Hence that its several years old, I have it, and its not used. If anything its serving a purpose as a distribution block, Can we move on from the cap. Its not the point of this thread.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Ya no cap... Nahhh you believe Im just am diesel guy haha

So lol on Cummins? I love my truck. If you think differently I'm sure you love yours too.

Bettr n' Revrse
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
So lol on Cummins? I love my truck. If you think differently I'm sure you love yours too.

Why lol on the Cummins? I was making a wize crack at all if thats how I came off...

Danomish
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
So this thread bombed lol. Are there people on this forum that answer the questions that were asked in a "help" area?

i love wenn
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
so the truck has a cummins?

JoshC
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Take me with you to burning man this year

brodeisel
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
y so buttmad

Danomish
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
^^^ I'm not mad bro.

And as for burning man - Ha, I can't even go. They had over 120,000 requests for tickets and only had 40,000 available for the "lottery". the BLM has ruined this event with a population cap. That was my home for one week a year and now I have to try to find second hand tickets.

The_Grimy_One
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
I feel as though you are disrespecting the RE XXX in the rear. Unless you just want a ton more midbass in the rear. The PPI are great speakers, but dont dig very deep and the midrange is the star of the set.

JoshC
02-27-2012, 10:45 PM
^^^ I'm not mad bro.

And as for burning man - Ha, I can't even go. They had over 120,000 requests for tickets and only had 40,000 available for the "lottery". the BLM has ruined this event with a population cap. That was my home for one week a year and now I have to try to find second hand tickets.

Wow thats bad, i know you have to send in a request letter and what not but i didnt know that many request came in.

You should check out Flipside events in TX, Burning Flipside | where Texas comes to burn (http://burningflipside.com/) <--- Really sick events

Im with underworld crew outa houston, tx. We have done a few 2500 ppl shows but i think there actually going to be a underworld tent at BM this year.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I feel as though you are disrespecting the RE XXX in the rear. Unless you just want a ton more midbass in the rear. The PPI are great speakers, but dont dig very deep and the midrange is the star of the set.

I love the sound of the RE, contrary to what I've read I think the tweets are great. The sound is not quite as natural as the PPI but the PPI are very laid back in comparison. Actually I originally wanted to do one more set of the RE XXX for front and rear, but I pulled off my door panels the massive magnets and depth hit the window in front but I think I can sneak it in back with a 3/4" spacer. I have bench tested all my speakers.

brodeisel
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Just do a nice 2-3 way up front
NO rear speakers and a single sub set up for sq.
It is all in the install and not the equipment for sq.
You are going to have lots of hours phase speakers messing with ta ect.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow thats bad, i know you have to send in a request letter and what not but i didnt know that many request came in.

You should check out Flipside events in TX, Burning Flipside | where Texas comes to burn (http://burningflipside.com/) <--- Really sick events

Im with underworld crew outa houston, tx. We have done a few 2500 ppl shows but i think there actually going to be a underworld tent at BM this year.

Thats awesome, IMO this year will be huge for the regional burns. So many people are not able to attend they are focusing on what is attainable. I wish your crew the best of luck if they can get enough people in to support their camp. If it does happen they will bring back awesome stories, beautiful creativity and unimaginable love. Burning Man has struck me to the core and changed who I am in so many ways.

TheUnderFighter
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Cadence is a very well known brand, especially around these parts... They've been around a very long time, and make good budget gear, and some upper-tier gear as well. I don't know where you were looking that you didn't find much about them, but they're extremely well known. As for the 7"x10", is that a speaker??? If so, then just simply no... that'd be just silly. If you ARE looking to do some fiberglassing though, you'd be MUCH better off fiberglassing your own kick panels as opposed to those Q-logic ones. From what I've heard, the only benefit of them is that it moves your speakers to the floor instead of the door. The mids and tweets are aimed terrible, the air-space is way off, and the enclosure itself resonates awfully. If you do decide to stick with the Q-logic, at least be sure to line them with deadener.
If you already have a proper component set up front, the dash speakers will probably just screw up the staging and imaging... might be able to make a decent 3-way set-up out of it though, never know.
The amp will be plenty for the subs, you'll be able to turn the gain down a bit :) I don't think polyfill will be necessary, but you can always try it and see how you like it.
If you have the Pioneer AVIC you definitely don't need the Cadence EQ. And especially not if you have the MS-8. While you could benefit the MS-8, I think the Pioneer will be a fine processor for your needs and goals.
With that Sundown 3500, it will probably take most the current of the Knu 1/0 (I hope it's OFC?), so you will probably need a run of 8 or 4 gauge for the speaker amps.
And lastly, I really hope you have the appropriate electrical to back all of this...

Danomish
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
It is OFC, I have 2 new batteries (good size @900 cca), considering doing group 31 optimas (maybe 3 if necessary), and my stock alternator is 136 amps. I don't plan on bumping it hard for long periods of time, do you think I will be okay? I have looked at HO models and will consider it once I have everything in place and test it. I just ordered 20 more feet of 1/0 and will probably make 2 runs of it. and I will be doing the big 3. the thing I liked about the eq is it is also a line driver @ 7 volts, I guess I could just get a line driver because if I run that many channels I will have to split the rca for the fronts. And I hear what brodeisel is say about no rears for sq, but I would like to keep them for surround sound when I watch movies. I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 but I put it in my girlfriends car. On long hauls we would pop in a DVD and it puts my kids (my friends) right to sleep lol. Thanks for the input.

09Alti
02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Tuned in - I just picked up an 08 1500 QC and am looking for some ideas.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Cadence is a very well known brand, especially around these parts... They've been around a very long time, and make good budget gear, and some upper-tier gear as well. I don't know where you were looking that you didn't find much about them, but they're extremely well known. As for the 7"x10", is that a speaker??? If so, then just simply no... that'd be just silly.

Its more just on this specific model that I haven't found any chatter. And it is a 3-way 7x10

Amazon.com: Cadence Acoustics ZRS710KIT 7-Inch x 10-Inch 400 Watt Peak 3-Way Speaker Component System: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-Acoustics-ZRS710KIT-10-Inch-Component/dp/B003PJ6TJ4/raef=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IR1CD3LRD51NO&colid=EL26A83YZFLH)

These would definitely take some work and require fiberglass.

Danomish
02-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Tuned in - I just picked up an 08 1500 QC and am looking for some ideas.

Its for a mega cab, but you might be interested in this:
Got my stereo system finished - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/got-my-stereo-system-finished-t199407.html?&highlight=stereo+system)

I'm planning on a similar dampening setup.

And if you have any questions feel free to ask.

CHEMMINS
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I have an 07 megacab. You have tons of options. We have so much room it is nutz. I will be running 2 ported 15's behind the rear seat. You can do 3 12's behind the rear seat if you want to run 12's. As for the front, I would run the XXX's. I would use the PPi's in the rear. Get a full ranger 3.5" for the dash just to bring the soundstage up a lil. You can do the ms-8 without any additional processing.

I will be doing a build log soon. I already have my doors floor, back wall damped. Need to do roof, inner door panels. then start installing gear. Batts are 2 odyssey 2150's in the stock locations. I also have a 275 amp mechman alternator. I will have 14 or 16 midbass, 6 midrange, large format tweets, maybe horns, and a pair of 15's. So lots in there.

TheUnderFighter
02-27-2012, 11:58 PM
It is OFC, I have 2 new batteries (good size @900 cca), considering doing group 31 optimas (maybe 3 if necessary), and my stock alternator is 136 amps. I don't plan on bumping it hard for long periods of time, do you think I will be okay? I have looked at HO models and will consider it once I have everything in place and test it. I just ordered 20 more feet of 1/0 and will probably make 2 runs of it. and I will be doing the big 3.
the thing I liked about the eq is it is also a line driver @ 7 volts, I guess I could just get a line driver because if I run that many channels I will have to split the rca for the fronts.
I think you're on the right track with the batteries. Get them in, and see how you do. Maybe your voltage will be fine with the batteries and the big 3. Maybe you'll have to get an HO alt to turn it up. Worse comes to worst, you have to turn the gains down a bit until you get an HO alt, ya know? Not a big deal.
And I really wouldn't be worried about a line-driver. It's not necessary with your after-market HU. And the more components you have in the path of the RCA, the more chances you have of introducing noise into the system. I would imagine the Pioneer you're looking at has 4 or 5 volt pre-outs? That's plenty. It's for that same reason I say the MS-8 isn't really necessary. The processing on the Pioneer will be fine; if you're looking to do all sorts of EQing and various time-alignment settings then maybe the MS-8 would be a good choice.

Its more just on this specific model that I haven't found any chatter. And it is a 3-way 7x10

Amazon.com: Cadence Acoustics ZRS710KIT 7-Inch x 10-Inch 400 Watt Peak 3-Way Speaker Component System: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-Acoustics-ZRS710KIT-10-Inch-Component/dp/B003PJ6TJ4/raef=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=IR1CD3LRD51NO&colid=EL26A83YZFLH)

These would definitely take some work and require fiberglass.

Well you haven't found anyone talking about them because they are an extremely odd and unpopular size. But I think they're just very unnecessary. You've already got your components up front, that's all you need. I mean if you want a three-way, get a different set and do a proper 3-way set-up... otherwise I think your time would be better invested in fiber-glassing custom and proper kick panels. You don't need that 7x10 three way, components in mediocre kicks, and dash speakers haha. That'd just be a mess of sound.

king nothing
03-11-2012, 12:52 AM
If it helps, I pulled the center seat out of my megacab and will be building a full console to house a 12 inch sub firing down at the floor

Danomish
03-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I would love to see some pictures of your project throughout the process. I am just starting on mine and I will be uploading photos soon.

RAM_Designs
03-12-2012, 12:21 AM
How much space are you working with for the sub? If you're into SQ, look into some better subs with less distortion and a lower inductance. The Dayton HF series is a nice choice if you're on a normal kind of budget. If you can afford the nice stuff, the Morel Ultimo is supposed to be pretty sweet.

CHEMMINS
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
He can squeeze 6 cubes behind the rear seat. But will most likely have 5.5ish. He has the depth to run pretty much any sub he wants. Like I said...I will have 2 15's behind the seat of mine.