PDA

View Full Version : Mitch86's S10 build

Mitch86
02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Well heres a rundown of my build. Everything is coming in and I'm slowly starting to install stuff the equipment going in will be:

4 D4 Skar vvx 8" subs
Kicker zx1500 @ 2ohm
Eclipse sc6500 component set
Profile amp to the comps
Audiotechnix 60mil deadener
Cadence 1/0 wiring
C&D 50ah under the hood and 100ah in the rear.

Starting the deadening of the doors. Cleaned up the door panel
http://i43.tinypic.com/ea11y0.jpg
Laid down some deadener. Still needs more I think. Probably should have filled the big holes with something solid, if it needs it I can always redo it.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mnj5sw.jpg
Pics of 2 of the subs. Beefy little guys:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rr6xzn.jpg

Will get some more pics as more stuff comes in. 50ah batt, Cadence wire, and Kicker ZX1500 should be here by the end of the week. Possibly start the box build before then. More pics to come!

Buck
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
:wave:

I'll be watching!

J31Rob
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Subbed. Curious to see how this does. Those 8s look pretty beast mode.

Mitch86
02-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Subbed. Curious to see how this does. Those 8s look pretty beast mode.
Should do pretty nicely. Forgot to mention they will be in 4cf @ 30hz. Hoping to kill the lows with 8's. We'll see how it works. :)

:wave:

I'll be watching!
I have 6 days off starting tomorrow, I should be able to get some work done. Think I'm going to get Lowes to do the majority of the cuts. Guess we'll see how that goes too. :D

whitedragon551
02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Subbed. Im interested to hear your thoughts on the SC6500's.

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Subbed. Im interested to hear your thoughts on the SC6500's.

Hope they sound as good as they look! They fit in the factory mounting spot, that's a huge plus. Now I have to figure out what to do with the tweeters. Any suggestions on tweeter placement?

kushy_dreams
02-28-2012, 03:43 AM
I'm interested to see the results of the skars

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 04:43 AM
I'm interested to see the results of the skars

Ill try to make a vid or 2. Wish I could find a meter near by. I'm sure it won't put up crazy numbers because I'm going with a large low tuned box. But hopefully they move some air!

disturbed471985
02-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Looks good my man. I pmed ya also...

whitedragon551
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Hope they sound as good as they look! They fit in the factory mounting spot, that's a huge plus. Now I have to figure out what to do with the tweeters. Any suggestions on tweeter placement?

What vehicle? Can you get a better pic of the whole door? Im inclined to say the little sail panel. Drivers side pointing at the passenger right ear. Passenger side pointing at the drivers right ear.

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
What vehicle? Can you get a better pic of the whole door? Im inclined to say the little sail panel. Drivers side pointing at the passenger right ear. Passenger side pointing at the drivers right ear.
http://images.mautofied.com/adphotos/10099582_201065185026.jpg Not my pic but gives you an idea of what Im working with. I've saw alot of tweets flushed mid way between the grill area and the window controls. Not sure that would work well though.

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
i have my tweets mounted in the area your talking about ,and mine sound good,just make sure you mount them pointing up http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/mylows10/th_IMG_0344.jpg (http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy236/mylows10/?action=view&current=IMG_0344.mp4) this was the only pic that i could find showing my tweeter placement

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM
i have my tweets mounted in the area your talking about ,and mine sound good,just make sure you mount them pointing up

I was waiting for you to chime in. Is your drivers side tweet facing the passengers ear and visa versa? I glassed my pillars for tweets, but they are oversized for the tweeters I have now. And I never completely finished them..so that option is kind of out unless I buy new pillar panels.

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
how big are the tweeter holes in the pillars.and yes they are pointed at the drivers and passenger.but now i run the es 010 tweets and 2 tweets in each door.one facing up and one down.the ones up are on the tweeter imaging on my xovers.and they get loud as a hell now

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
also those doors are from a 2nd gen s10 not first .so far nice start.also 2 layers of mat on the roof and one on the back wall.none on the floor tho

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 10:28 AM
how big are the tweeter holes in the pillars.and yes they are pointed at the drivers and passenger.but now i run the es 010 tweets and 2 tweets in each door.one facing up and one down.the ones up are on the tweeter imaging on my xovers.and they get loud as a hell now Actually now that I looked it up, both use a 1" tweeter, so my current tweeters may fit the pillars. They looked smaller at a glance. Problem is I molded the pillar with a tweeter cup from the old Orion comps I had. Not sure that they will work with the Eclipse tweets. Guess I can check that out and use the pillars if thats my best bet?

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
that will be the loudest for the tweets

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
that will be the loudest for the tweets

Ok.. ill check fitment. All I lack is sanding one pillar and covering them..shouldnt be too much work if the tweets will fit in the existing pods. The only thing I dont like about that is it exposes the tweets to outsiders, which I'm trying to keep this as stealthy as possible. Which so far, it isnt too stealthy. :laugh:

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
yea not much room to hide shlt.just get a good alarm.or make it so if they want to steal it they have to take the whole truck and have full coverage,thats what i did and the stereo is covered for 8 grand

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
yea not much room to hide shlt.just get a good alarm.or make it so if they want to steal it they have to take the whole truck and have full coverage,thats what i did and the stereo is covered for 8 grand

I spent all my money on the system... I cant afford an alarm! :laugh:

mylows10
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
that should have the first item ,when getting a larger system

VisceralSound
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I spent all my money on the system... I cant afford an alarm! :laugh:
Viper 5701 (5202V, 5202B) 2-Way Remote Start Car Alarm (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16477_Viper-5701-P-N-5202V-5202B.html)

mylows10
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
:thumbcool:

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
that should have the first item ,when getting a larger system

Well, it started out I was just going to buy a pair of 8s and run 700-800 watts... it doubled and is still going. :D If there was a decent shop around to install it, I would get a decent alarm. But the only shop here is shady as all hell and expensive beyond belief.

mylows10
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
find another ,or someone close on the forum

VisceralSound
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
find another ,or someone close on the forum

Well I mean its got to be somewhat easy, just need a stripper/crimper, caps (or joining method of choice) following the manual for what wires go where and mounting isn't it?
I'll be doing this when I decide to buy one, I haven't needed a shops help yet.

mylows10
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
alarms are a bit harder tho , but good luck

Mitch86
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
I just need something to scare away punk kids.Not too worried about professional thieves that can disable alarms etc. :D I live in an apartment complex with nosy neighbors, so as long as it makes a loud noise, people will come out to investigate. Honestly, Ive had a headunit and amp sitting in my truck in plain view for over a year and no one has jacked it yet. As long as its locked up, they wouldnt really have an opportunity without being seen/heard.

mylows10
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
you can always just get the flashing red light and put it on a toggle switch,to turn it on and off.worked for me for 4 years in my mustang

Mitch86
03-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Small update. Got everything gathered for the install. Havent had time to really start installing it. This build is going a lot slower than I had planned, but it will get done eventually. Got the passenger door deadened and both of the mids wired and installed. Had to scrap the A pillars that I built for my old tweeters. Going to build pillar pods for these if I ever get the time. Might find a temporary solution until then. Think Im going to get a DIY enclosure from pro-rabbit to help save some time/hassle... Heres a pic just to keep this thread alive until I get time to start installing everything else.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mqsqxy.jpg

Mitch86
03-04-2012, 12:08 AM
BTW, the deadening and weather stripping I've done on the doors has reduced rattles in my truck tremendously. Had a lot of rattles from under the door panel. Window regulator was loose on one side and had the rods in the door clanking together. Also the door panel itself had some clips broken off. I outlined the door with foam weatherstripping along with the deadening and replaced all the clips. I still have a lot of deadener left. Need to decide where it will help the most and finish off the roll I have. If I need more later I'll get some more.

Mitch86
03-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Another very small update. But something is better than nothing,right? :D Got a little work done on my a-pillars. Had to unwrap and destroy the old pods off of them. Still gotta clean them up, but started on the new pods anyway.
http://i44.tinypic.com/pq8hl.jpg
Hot glued the hell out of it. Found out after I cut the hole out and everything that I should have gone a few inches higher with it.. but it will be ok for now.
http://i43.tinypic.com/219p209.jpg
Most of the shape came from hot glue.. a few thin layers of filler should make the shape I need. this is the first layer. may take forever to dry since it started raining and the only place i have to sit these are out on the porch. :crap:

Like I said, just a small update to keep the thread alive. pro-rabbit and I worked out a deal on a enclosure...so that should come soon. I dont get a lot of time to work on the truck, but once I get the box, Ill take a whole day and run wires, install batts,amp and enclosure and get this build all wrapped up hopefully!