PDA

View Full Version : should i run 2 sets of tweets?

splwj47
02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
i have 2 set of cdt es-010 tweets should i run both sets or just one set? i want nice sq, i want it to get decently loud but i dont like my music to to loud. what are the benifits of running 2 sets or disadvantages or runnin 2 sets?

splwj47
02-27-2012, 12:51 AM
???

Bettr n' Revrse
02-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Run one and if you arent happy run two....

splwj47
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Run one and if you arent happy run two....

sounds like a plan, i have read on here a few times that running 2 sets will hurt ur imaging and sq is more important then anything.

mylows10
02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
really depends on were they are placed

splwj47
02-27-2012, 01:36 AM
really depends on were they are placed

i think im gonna put them in the pillers using that angle mounting piece.

Bettr n' Revrse
02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
If they are right next to each other and angled the same imagining should be fine...

mylows10
02-27-2012, 01:44 AM
then maybe just one ,if going in the pillars,you can always add the other set if needed like peyton said.

splwj47
02-27-2012, 01:51 AM
ya i guess ill try one set first and see how it sounds.

trumpet
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
I can't imagine 1 pair of the ES-010 tweeters mounted on the A-pillars will not be loud enough. It doesn't take much power for tweeters to get painfully loud, and especially when they're up above the dash the reduced obstructions make them sound that much louder than a kick panel or coaxially mounted tweeter in a door.

However, if you do want to try a second pair of tweeters I will suggest an alternate setup. Use the CDT UP-2100i (http://www.513electronics.com/car-audio/component-speakers/upstage-component-speakers/cdt-audio-up-2100i-upstage-system/) or UP-5100i (http://www.513electronics.com/car-audio/component-speakers/upstage-component-speakers/cdt-audio-up5100i/) UpStage system. Either of these systems has everything you need to get you more treble while giving you adjustments to have very high SQ.

duanebro
02-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Using more than one set of tweeters will cause cancelation because the wave length is short. (It is sometimes called comb filtering) This will vary with your location in relation to the tweeters. spl should not be an issue, with the right crossover. The crossover is normally the biggest issue with power handling.

06goat
02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Using more than one set of tweeters will cause cancelation because the wave length is short. (It is sometimes called comb filtering) This will vary with your location in relation to the tweeters. spl should not be an issue, with the right crossover. The crossover is normally the biggest issue with power handling.

I was going to mention comb filtering but if the tweeters are right next to each other I dont see a problem with it.

Bettr n' Revrse
02-28-2012, 09:04 PM
I was going to mention comb filtering but if the tweeters are right next to each other I dont see a problem with it.

It shouldnt be...

duanebro
02-28-2012, 09:14 PM
The closer the better, but why would you need another? Your mids will limit even one tweeter. A 2.5 way or 3 way system should help out if you want more spl- I just don't see the tweeter as a limit on the system.

mlstrass
02-29-2012, 03:45 AM

I've run tweeter arrays in my A-pillars and have seen/heard MANY home speakers with multiple tweeters. Cancellation didn't seem to be an issue, so not sure where you came up with that idea

subzero
02-29-2012, 04:29 AM
I would not.

MANTI5
02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Can't compare home speakers to this situation AT ALL. Those were designed to be run that way and it takes a LOT of planning to get them correct.

TheUnderFighter
02-29-2012, 04:59 AM
I certainly wouldn't... unless you have multiple mid-ranges running, no need for more tweets...

disturbed471985
02-29-2012, 05:06 AM
I like mine. Night and day from running just 1 set. But its depends on what ur goals are.

matt_bennett05
02-29-2012, 05:29 AM
I like mine. Night and day from running just 1 set. But its depends on what ur goals are.

Agreed. Everyone has different taste. But in this guy's case of more SQ than SPL I would say 1 pair fits his bill better.

trumpet
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Adding too much treble can cause us to hear a reduction of midbass and midrange since our hearing is so sensitive to treble. It's another point to consider.

duanebro
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I've run tweeter arrays in my A-pillars and have seen/heard MANY home speakers with multiple tweeters. Cancellation didn't seem to be an issue, so not sure where you came up with that idea

If you are talking line arrays then it is different than two tweeters. I have not seen many home speakers with more than one tweeter, except line arrays of course. Do you have some links?

zako
02-29-2012, 10:18 PM
In my opinion, if you have to ask, then run one set. Just think about all those wonderful improvements the second set will add to your frequency response and imaging.

Now, I have read advise from _very_ experienced tuners/installers who had great setups with two sets of tweeters. Usually one set was installed with the mid in the kicks so the two act as a single point source, and an extra set was installed up high and tuned specially for the purpose of bring up the height of the sound stage. However, the average you and me don't t have an independent L/R 30-band equalizer or the ability to use it, so why bother? It had been proven many times that 2-way active front stage with well chosen and well tuned parts can sound great. If you high frequencies don't sound right with one set of tweeters, I'd say that's the problem with the tweeters or their crossovers.

splwj47
02-29-2012, 10:27 PM

my goals are purley sq and i want them to get decently loud. where you run all urs? what about a set in the pillers and a set in the doors inbetween the mid and the tweet in the piller?

splwj47
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Just think about all those wonderful improvements the second set will add to your frequency response and imaging..

what u mean?

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 03:02 AM
my goals are purley sq and i want them to get decently loud. where you run all urs? what about a set in the pillers and a set in the doors inbetween the mid and the tweet in the piller?

1 tweeter per side should easily meet your goals

I'm currently running 2 Vifa's in each pillar, but only because I have a PA mid in each door and they get very loud. With 2 tweets I don't have to push them as hard to keep up...

9515ROB
03-01-2012, 03:12 AM
1 tweeter per side should easily meet your goals

I'm currently running 2 Vifa's in each pillar, but only because I have a PA mid in each door and they get very loud. With 2 tweets I don't have to push them as hard to keep up...

Yeah i wasnt to impressed your your highs they seemed to be very quiet

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 03:28 AM
Yeah i wasnt to impressed your your highs they seemed to be very quiet

talking about the altima, Barney is an SQ set up so stop hatin...

9515ROB
03-01-2012, 03:55 AM
talking about the altima, Barney is an SQ set up so stop hatin...

they were both quiet SPL and SQ lol

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 04:36 AM

I have 1 set in the pillers and 1 pair located on the dash. On both sides the tweets at most are 5" apart. As far as SQ well one mans SQ is anothers SPL so whos to say what it really sounds like. To me it sounds good and it gets very loud but I also have over 600watts to my front stage. Try it and see never hurts to try.

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 04:40 AM
they were both quiet SPL and SQ lol

ok annarbor jr.......I know I fail

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

I have 1 set in the pillers and 1 pair located on the dash. As far as SQ well one mans SQ is anothers SPL so whos to say what it really sounds like. To me it sounds good and it gets very loud but I also have over 600watts to my front stage. Try it and see never hurts to try.

600watts on your front stage......you must be deaf

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 04:44 AM

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Well each channel wired at 2ohm so thats 175x4 but thats rated power and we all know that i prob will never see that kinda power due to music. But I wanted loud and well thats what I got.

9515ROB
03-01-2012, 05:07 AM

WOOOOOOAHHHHHHHHHHHH THERE now you are getting a little low going there on that one :pissed: haha

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Well each channel wired at 2ohm so thats 175x4 but thats rated power and we all know that i prob will never see that kinda power due to music. But I wanted loud and well thats what I got.

well since we've totally jacked his thread, what is your idea of loud? what mids/tweeters you running?

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

WOOOOOOAHHHHHHHHHHHH THERE now you are getting a little low going there on that one :pissed: haha

Very true, my bad Robie, I apologize for that one...

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 05:56 AM
well since we've totally jacked his thread, what is your idea of loud? what mids/tweeters you running?

---------- Post added at 03:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

Very true, my bad Robie, I apologize for that one...

They are in sig... 4 silver flute 6.5's in custom door pods. 4 seas neo tweets. My idea of loud is a full sound that can be heard no matter what may come down the pipe. I listen to mostly rock so I love good loud clean vocals and kicks. Subs dnt have a chance on drowning my FS out.

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 06:14 AM
They are in sig... 4 silver flute 6.5's in custom door pods. 4 seas neo tweets. My idea of loud is a full sound that can be heard no matter what may come down the pipe. I listen to mostly rock so I love good loud clean vocals and kicks. Subs dnt have a chance on drowning my FS out.

I only wish I had fiberglassing skills and could add two sets of 6.5" in my fronts. I've been running an Aura RPM 2300 for a while now (love it too btw) but I have a Kicker ZR600 I really want to use once I add more.

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I only wish I had fiberglassing skills and could add two sets of 6.5" in my fronts. I've been running an Aura RPM 2300 for a while now (love it too btw) but I have a Kicker ZR600 I really want to use once I add more.

LOL I have no glassing skills I had them built. So I deserve no credit... Well worth it though first setup was 1 set of silvers and 1 set of tweets and well it was just not gonnamake me happy but I am now. Well I have an rca issue I hope as my right side tweets cut off sometimes all reads good at amp so either rca's or amps inputs. God I hope its just the rca's...

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 06:24 AM
LOL I have no glassing skills I had them built. So I deserve no credit... Well worth it though first setup was 1 set of silvers and 1 set of tweets and well it was just not gonnamake me happy but I am now. Well I have an rca issue I hope as my right side tweets cut off sometimes all reads good at amp so either rca's or amps inputs. God I hope its just the rca's...

I did a two 10" behind bench seat install in a buddie's old GMC Sierra Classic. I ran the rca's under the right carpet cover/door seal cover. When I put the covers back on and started screwing them back into place somehow they managed to run thier way down the carpet, right to dead center between both rca channels on the screw (maybe from my knee moving on the carpet and making them move I would guess). You want to talk about a pain in my azs to try and figure out?!?!??!!!! And I knew for a fact that it "wasn't" an rca problem. Never again, never ever again...

And to think I have a similar truck I'm installing an amp kit in the afternoon... LOL glad I remembered that hint..

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 06:31 AM
I did a two 10" behind bench seat install in a buddie's old GMC Sierra Classic. I ran the rca's under the right carpet cover/door seal cover. When I put the covers back on and started screwing them back into place somehow they managed to run thier way down the carpet, right to dead center between both rca channels on the screw (maybe from my knee moving on the carpet and making them move I would guess). You want to talk about a pain in my azs to try and figure out?!?!??!!!! And I knew for a fact that it "wasn't" an rca problem. Never again, never ever again...

And to think I have a similar truck I'm installing an amp kit in the afternoon... LOL glad I remembered that hint..

It never ends. Amps under warranty but Jacob said u must have the OG invoice " even though I bought direct from him" or its not covered so that screws me and DB-R is gonna charge and arm and a leg. None the less done with sundown...

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 06:45 AM
It never ends. Amps under warranty but Jacob said u must have the OG invoice " even though I bought direct from him" or its not covered so that screws me and DB-R is gonna charge and arm and a leg. None the less done with sundown...

Tell that to the guy who just got a SAE-1000d in trade... Ahh I see now its the 100.4 WELL THAT'S GHEY

What did db-r quote you? I haven't looked into trying to have any blown amps fixed but I have picked up a few old school RF/MTX/Kicker Impulse amps (some half working or working but eventually cut out) just because. I think I might just give it a try on one of them. What's the worst that could happen? I screw up a blown amp I paid nothing for?

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 06:48 AM
Tell that to the guy who just got a SAE-1000d in trade... Ahh I see now its the 100.4 WELL THAT'S GHEY

What did db-r quote you? I haven't looked into trying to have any blown amps fixed but I have picked up a few old school RF/MTX/Kicker Impulse amps (some half working or working but eventually cut out) just because. I think I might just give it a try on one of them. What's the worst that could happen? I screw up a blown amp I paid nothing for?

No quote yet cause I still hold out hope its just the rca's. But I would guess 30 bucks to ship to them and atleast 100 to repair min. Of course the 2 month wait I am sure...

matt_bennett05
03-01-2012, 07:00 AM
No quote yet cause I still hold out hope its just the rca's. But I would guess 30 bucks to ship to them and atleast 100 to repair min. Of course the 2 month wait I am sure...

Yeah the rca's would make your day I'd bet. And at least you're not going to ship it to some guy named Mike in Grand Rapids, MI!!! I wish there was someone local to me who could repair them. Sure would be nice and could make some cash doing it. I know guys who have literally thrown away Kicker 2500's, a Colossus II, and a JL 1000.

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Yeah the rca's would make your day I'd bet. And at least you're not going to ship it to some guy named Mike in Grand Rapids, MI!!! I wish there was someone local to me who could repair them. Sure would be nice and could make some cash doing it. I know guys who have literally thrown away Kicker 2500's, a Colossus II, and a JL 1000.

Yea, not taking the risk of sending to joe blow that "might" can fix it.. Really?? I might can fix it also even though i know nothing about it. Its a solid amp but the BS invoice is crap. He has a business do they not keep invoices? Do they not keep PP transactions?? Seems like BS to me hell even crap companys dnt pull BS like that. Like I have an invoice for an amp I bought a year ago..... Not that it matters to him as he has money rolling in but mine will never go there again.

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Sigs are blocked since I view at work. Heard good things about the silver flutes and have run the seas neo's before, but prefer the Vifa ring radiators over them, but they have to be on-axis.

I'm also a metal head and like a loud front stage, so I was just messing with you about the 600watts thing. I have around 4kw on my front stage with 2 12's and 4 6.5's in each door, plus a couple of XST's.

For rock/metal I really like the PA stuff, even with the lack of midbass compared to a normal mid as my subs play up high enough to cover the gap.

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 07:39 AM

Should not be that much to replace RCA's. I was quoted $125 to replace all the FET's on a 1500D, so it can't be a hundo for RCA's on that amp...

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Should not be that much to replace RCA's. I was quoted $125 to replace all the FET's on a 1500D, so it can't be a hundo for RCA's on that amp...

Yea but even a 125$ for a repair that with any other company would be covered is still alot IMO.. Whatever it takes to save them a buck I guess..

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Yea but even a 125$ for a repair that with any other company would be covered is still alot IMO.. Whatever it takes to save them a buck I guess..

I agree...and hopefully Jacob comes through as you always hear about his great customer service...

disturbed471985
03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
I agree...and hopefully Jacob comes through as you always hear about his great customer service...

Mehh will see gonna change out rcas this weekend and if problem is still there then I will see where it goes. But not covering warranty cause a single sheet of folded up paper that I got a year ago is BS.

mlstrass
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Mehh will see gonna change out rcas this weekend and if problem is still there then I will see where it goes. But not covering warranty cause a single sheet of folded up paper that I got a year ago is BS.

If he's not going to warranty it, I'd pull the cover and make sure nothing came loose on the RCA's internally.

disturbed471985
03-02-2012, 04:33 AM
If he's not going to warranty it, I'd pull the cover and make sure nothing came loose on the RCA's internally.

Been there done that all looks good inside but today will tell all as I will be swapping rca's once I am off wrk.

zako
03-02-2012, 11:41 PM
what u mean?

That was sarcasm. Most of the time, it should make those things worse.