PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Choice Advice

pman
02-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Kinda of a newb here and need some advice.

I have a LX470 and I'm about to rip out the POS Mark Levinson stock system that came with the car. I was planning on replacing it with the following. I like JL stuff BTW...
HU: Alping W910
Amp: JL HD900/5
Front Speakers: JL C5-653
Rear Speakers: JL C5-650x
Sub: JL 10W7

However the guys at the audio place recommended that I run the C2-650x for the rear doors rather than the more expensive C5. Would running the C5s in the rear be worth the extra $ from a sound prespective?

Also I know this isn't the right section, but for the sub should I have them build a sealed box for the W7 or just get the Prowedge from JL? They cost basically the same, think there will be any difference in the sound?

Thanks

Why So Cereal?
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Go with the lower C2s in rear. Save the cash and from the front you won't notice a difference. The C2s are actually decent for the price too.

I also say drop the w7, get a w6 and get them to build u an oversized sealed box to increase its efficiency. The w6 has better SQ than the w7 but the w7 is supposedly louder.

Also what shop are u going to? I'm in GA and have been to a few shops in ATL since your location says GAtech...

pman
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Im planning on having the work done at Benchmark Soundworks.

As for the sub, I have heard conflicting opinions on both in regards to sound quality. Ill have to take that into consideration though.

pman
02-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Since you said I should consider the W6, what size should i go with since the output is less than the W7? Also any explanation as to why the W6 sounds better? Alot of people online haveare said that, but no one is really explaining why. Lastly, how big of a difference in SQ is there?

Why So Cereal?
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Do a 12 to be on the safe side maybe even the 13.5 as far as output.

As far as why...couldn't tell ya from a technical standpoint but JL reps have told me this numerous times and in my experience the w6 is alot more transparent than the w7 (not as easy to locate). The w7 is a very nice sounding sub though. Definitely not worth the money over the w6 though.