PDA

View Full Version : Box plans for my soundstream PCW-12 12" sub

RSDXzec
02-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Just bought one of these off ebay and should get it in a couple of weeks. When I get it I'll be using it in a 1cuft sealed box until I build a better one. Soundstream recommends a 1.25 sealed for max output and a 3cuft sealed for max sq. It doesn't say much about ported boxes for this sub. My plans are to make a 3cuft ported box tuned at 32hz using 3/4" plywood. The box will have external dimensions of 26.5"x24.5"x10.5" and the port will be 3" diameter and 4" long (calculated this using an online calculator).

Just wanted to know what others thought of this as it will be my first box design and if 32hz would be a good idea to tune to (also not too sure if 3cuft is a good size). Info on the internet suggests 30-35 hz tends to be the best, lower for rap music and higher for rock. I listen to rap music maybe 30% of the time but usually I listen to reggaeton if anyone has much idea what that is lol, it still has lows but doesn't hit as low as rap usually does. Sub specs below if ya need it.

Sub specs
RMS - 350W
Fs - 32.87 Hz
Vas - 1.839 cuft
Qms - 4.963
Qes - 0.733
Qts - 0.638
Xmax - 0.413"
SPL - 89dB

Any feedback at all on this box is appreciated, I'm looking at a significant upgrade from my current kenwood sub. Oh and how will this sub run in a 1cuft sealed box if 1.25 is suggested for max output will it be able to handle the 350WRMS or will it bottom out in this smaller box?

Cheers.

DoesDad
02-18-2012, 07:24 AM
I'd go a happy medium between 1.25 cubes and 3 cubes sealed. There is no recommendation for ported. Therefore I'd stay away from it. And 3 cubes ported for a 350 watt 12" sub sounds doesn't sound right.... Get with Mobile Enclosure, pro-rabbit, Ram.... Just 3 of the box guys on here among many. They'll be better at telling you what will work....

RSDXzec
02-18-2012, 07:46 AM
I'd go a happy medium between 1.25 cubes and 3 cubes sealed. There is no recommendation for ported. Therefore I'd stay away from it. And 3 cubes ported for a 350 watt 12" sub sounds doesn't sound right.... Get with Mobile Enclosure, pro-rabbit, Ram.... Just 3 of the box guys on here among many. They'll be better at telling you what will work....

ok, but it turns out most videos I see of this sub on the net are ported, so I'm also trying to see if I can get a bit more output from the sub. Before I posted here I had discussed a few ideas with mobile enclosures, and he had briefly looked at my current idea and said it was worth a shot. Just trying to get various opinions before I end up doing it so I'm posting up here. Not in too much of a rush to get it built so I'm doing my research.

Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

kushy_dreams
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
EBP on that sub is 44.8 which indicates it will work in a ported or sealed enclosure. 3 cubes is too big, go with something around 2 cu/ft. That size seems to work sell for most 12s. For the port size, 3inches is too small for a 12 so use a 4 inch port instead.

RSDXzec
02-18-2012, 09:35 PM
EBP on that sub is 44.8 which indicates it will work in a ported or sealed enclosure. 3 cubes is too big, go with something around 2 cu/ft. That size seems to work sell for most 12s. For the port size, 3inches is too small for a 12 so use a 4 inch port instead.

Looked up EBP, found out it was Fs/Qes and 44.8 is close enough to 50 to go either way I guess, so would there be much improvement in going ported? Is there any reason why 3 cubes is too big? I have the space available so that isn't an issue and I'm willing to sacrifice that for sql.

Also with a 2cuft box and a 4" port for 32hz I get a 13.6" port which is fairly long.
Using this calculator Port Length Calculator (http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.htm)