PDA

View Full Version : I need a ported box design for 2 Sundown SA-12's

Plac958
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
hello,

I really need help with a slot L-port design for my SA-12's i drive an 02 nissan maxima and have plenty of trunk space im looking for a box around 4 cubic feet and tuned to around 32hz for a daily system that has good sound quality on both low and high end and also loud. Please help

thanks

dbeez
02-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Are you wanting one free.

NissanKicker
02-13-2012, 11:22 PM
The Sundown SA-12s have good low end capabilities...

Are you wanting to trunk wall it?

have them rear facing?

What direction to you want the subs? [And also the port]

... I did a 02 Altima - trunk is similar - everything facing the trunk or Port on side [towards the passenger side] is best...

Plac958
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
yes please if its possible, im a broke high school kid hahah

Plac958
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
The Sundown SA-12s have good low end capabilities...

Are you wanting to trunk wall it?

have them rear facing?

What direction to you want the subs? [And also the port]

... I did a 02 Altima - trunk is similar - everything facing the trunk or Port on side [towards the passenger side] is best...

I was planning on having the port on the left side of the box facing outwards. or would it be louder if the subs were facing the back seat?

IonRL205
02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
yes please if its possible, im a broke high school kid hahah

Buck does box designs for like $5. Skip lunch a few days and you can afford one :)

NissanKicker
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I was planning on having the port on the left side of the box facing outwards. or would it be louder if the subs were facing the back seat?

If you don't keep your seats down - You're gonna risk suffocating the subs [Due to them being ALL the way up on the rear seat]
... And yes port on the side is good... What type of music to you listen to?

Plac958
02-15-2012, 04:34 PM
If you don't keep your seats down - You're gonna risk suffocating the subs [Due to them being ALL the way up on the rear seat]
... And yes port on the side is good... What type of music to you listen to?

Rap is what i mostly listen to

NissanKicker
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
30-33Hz Tuning is what you need [ultimately]

willbill
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
i am also looking for the same type set up except i have a charger

pro-rabbit
02-18-2012, 08:40 PM
30-33Hz Tuning is what you need [ultimately]

How can you suggest tuning like that? I'm just curious as to why it is always thought that you need a 30-33 tuning to achieve low end extension. Also, this is a trunk on top of that.

NissanKicker
02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
How can you suggest tuning like that? I'm just curious as to why it is always thought that you need a 30-33 tuning to achieve low end extension. Also, this is a trunk on top of that.

Well - I can't get all technical like " Enclosures " can - But through my trials and errors, and the things i've learned over the years...

.. A Longer Wave has a deeper sound - A Short Wave [example - trunk wall build] w/ a lower tuned enclosure will have a deeper sound ( Since there's no help or nothing for the sound to bounce off of a allow the wave to develop, a lower tuned enclosure is usually needed.

So, I tried BOTH, and the I combined the theories...
... Built an enclosure tuned low[32Hz] - then I faced the subs towards the trunk [giving the subs something to bounce off of to further help develop the wave]... I was AMAZED at the results - I achieved my low end extention [20-28Hz notes came naturally], and my 32-40hz notes still had the loudness to play music & sound good doing so...

..... So I guess that's my reasons - That tuning range hasn't disappointed me...
[it's still just a suggestion but I strongly recommend it...]

SMS
02-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I have the same car and through trial and error ive decided that sub and port rear facing is the best. sub back side port really didnt turn out well. There isnt enough room in the hole behind the seat for 2 12s and a port to fit in. there is a 7"x10" opening in the rear deck(for bose) I drilled abunch of 3/8 holes in the rear deck cover where that opening is and it helped alot. i can do a hair trick with a wig on my rear deck.
I enjoy making different boxes in my spare time, Ive made 5 for that trunk with the same sub and the rear facing was the best.
your going to need alot of sound deadning, ive got about35sqft and it still rattles.

pro-rabbit
02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Well - I can't get all technical like " Enclosures " can - But through my trials and errors, and the things i've learned over the years...

.. A Longer Wave has a deeper sound - A Short Wave [example - trunk wall build] w/ a lower tuned enclosure will have a deeper sound ( Since there's no help or nothing for the sound to bounce off of a allow the wave to develop, a lower tuned enclosure is usually needed.

So, I tried BOTH, and the I combined the theories...
... Built an enclosure tuned low[32Hz] - then I faced the subs towards the trunk [giving the subs something to bounce off of to further help develop the wave]... I was AMAZED at the results - I achieved my low end extention [20-28Hz notes came naturally], and my 32-40hz notes still had the loudness to play music & sound good doing so...

..... So I guess that's my reasons - That tuning range hasn't disappointed me...
[it's still just a suggestion but I strongly recommend it...]

It was a bit of a rhetorical question actually. All though that option has worked for you and your application, it does not mean it will work for others and their application and what they want.

I'm not saying that those are horrible specs to go off of, but I suppose it is a "decent" starting point.

And if you would like to include Mobile in this discussion he would tell you that each application is different from each other. Air space, port area, tuning, sub/port placement, and so many other variables can and will adjust the actual output.

With all that said, for a basic design it would do "ok" I'm sure. Try it and see if you like it OP and go from there.

NissanKicker
02-19-2012, 06:17 PM
It was a bit of a rhetorical question actually. All though that option has worked for you and your application, it does not mean it will work for others and their application and what they want.

I'm not saying that those are horrible specs to go off of, but I suppose it is a "decent" starting point.

And if you would like to include Mobile in this discussion he would tell you that each application is different from each other. Air space, port area, tuning, sub/port placement, and so many other variables can and will adjust the actual output.

With all that said, for a basic design it would do "ok" I'm sure. Try it and see if you like it OP and go from there.

... I know that certain things work differently than other for different applications... I wasn't stating that I ONLY use those specs for EVERY vehicle I build for... No no no...

I just suggested that 30-33Hz tuning for him... He wanted good lows and highs - and I've done a similar car ( the altima version - same you [the resonant frequency i'm quite sure is different] but the trunk is just the same...