PDA

View Full Version : Sub fabricated in door sound good?

Sketchup
02-13-2012, 01:50 AM
If i wanted to fabricate or make a custom door panel to fit the 6.5" speaker and a 6.5" sub, would it sound good? I know that being in a door is obviously not a sub box. Is there a special procedure to do this?

brandinooooo
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
A door pod

pickup1
02-13-2012, 02:16 AM
A door pod

and deaden the **** out of it...

Moble Enclosurs
02-13-2012, 04:12 AM
True and true. Make sure also to separate the sub chamber from the mids as they can effect the output of the vocals. Also, directional placement is a factor because the sub, being in a location known to lose gain at midbass response you may want to offset them to load towards the underdash area, or even install them there if possible. Front stage bass is amazing once you get it right, but around the 120-250hz range it can cancel very easily if not placed correctly. It might be recommended to still have some low end in the rear for reinforcement.

What I would do is, have the 6.5 subs carry the kicks and drums, and the rear fill carry the chest hits. If in phase at the listening position, it can sound quite natural and blend the lower end to the vocals really well if done right.

As far as procedure, you can measure the dips and peaks of all frequencies at different positions in the vehicle to know what to do with the designs response at the given positions of the source and receiver.....much like in an ht setup for placement and design.
Just figure out the response gain, take a sub that will fit and cover the range of interest, and design it to perform for what it needs to in order to get the best response possible. It might be a good idea to experiment with Aperiodic chambers. I have done this in my setup and my doors response goes down to 38hz quite well with the two 6.5s in each door.
Sometimes people fiberglass pods to make them fit better, and that's an option, but if you are to seal them off, do not expect superb subwoofer performance. Aperiodic is the way to go in your case also it seems.

kushy_dreams
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I have heard 8s in the kick panel before. It was in an award winning sq show car. I was very surprised, not very loud, but the clarity was ****

Sketchup
02-13-2012, 11:01 PM
I was thing of putting in a 6.5fd" JL, only one that they make. I think its would be easier cause it only needs .15 cubic feet.(sealed)
Am not sure of the exact dimensions but I would need the box to be on the inside for air space, 5"deep, 6.5"wide, 8"Length. Plus to consider the width of the wood in.
On think I am not sure of, is since it is a 6.5" sub, would 1/2" MDF be fine? or the norm of 3/4" MDF?
It would save some space if it was 1/2"

06goat
02-13-2012, 11:14 PM
1/2" should be fine, as long as you cover the inside and outside in resin to treat for the elements.

I have a 6.5" eD sub in each door, along with 3 Dayton 6.5" midrangers in each door. Sounds pretty good.