PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Grand Cherokee Sundown/Skar/German made MB Quart QSD build

rumblefish
02-11-2012, 08:45 AM
My wife and I had a baby so I had to get rid of my 2007 Tahoe. My wife felt bad for me and told me I could do a small build in the "new" Jeep. I pratically gave away all the equipment in my Tahoe a couple of years ago. I had a few things left, a Pioneer Premier 880, and two sets of speakers...German Made Mb Quart QSD's and Alpine Type X Pro's. I haven't got to that point but I think I'm going with the Quarts.

rumblefish
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I knew I wanted to use Sundown again, but I wasn't sure about the Subs. I saw that Skar audio was offering what looked like great products at a fair price. I'm not great a straight cuts, so I wanted help with the box. I contacted Kevin at Skar. That guy is all about customer service. I initially wanted to go with 15's, and that's what I ordered. I ended up changing my mind because of how I wanted to do my amp rack. I know I drove him crazy with my indecisiveness, but he handled it well. I went with the 12's. Can't beat an enclosure and 2 subs with 389 bucks. Here is what I had to work with. First thing was take make a false floor for the spare tire well. At first I was just going to build over it, but the cover had a slight rise over it. I just used the cover as a trace and cut a piece of MDF to sit flush in the well.

rumblefish
02-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Next was the amp and battery rack. Definitely not the most involved lay out but I wanted easy access to everything once it is complete.

rumblefish
02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
My favorite thing in the world is when I'm working on my vehicle and the brown truck pulls up with goodies. I have to say I'm very impressed with the build of these woofers.

rumblefish
02-11-2012, 09:33 AM
The amps were purchased from DBR and the last update I received stated they would go out either last Thurs or Friday. I haven't received another update so I hope they're shipped on Monday. The box should be done next week, so I'll have to wait a bit. I still have plenty to do with the doors and wiring.

Dr. Slam
02-16-2012, 02:40 AM
im in with you bro. i just bought the same vehicle

rumblefish
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Cool deal. I haven't had anytime this week to get anything done. I started on the doors last weekend and ended up putting the Alpine Pros in for now. I still might go with the Quarts but I have other things that need to get done right now. I got the amps last night. Still waiting on the box. Here's just a couple pics of the doors. I'll have more later.

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
It's been slow going with a few set backs but here are a few more shots. I did get my box in and I did finish the trim work.

Dr. Slam
03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
how long did it take you to do those doors? It took the whole weekend but I did the rears too

Are you doing anything with the factory tweeter locations?

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
I put the tweeters from the type x pro's in the factory spots in the dash. I should have taken a picture. I didn't do a whole lot to the doors because I know I'll end up putting the quarts in there. I just did the baffle and a little bit of deadening. I had to dremel out the molex connectors in the doors to get the wire to fit, but it wasn't too complicated.

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Here's some shots with the box and subs in. I already had the top and back trim pieces on, so I just snapped the pictures. Like I said, the box was built by Skar. Seems like an pretty good box, I did request more port area, but oh well. It was basically free.

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Also picked up a charger from xs power. Expensive but idiot proof.

splwj47
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
looks good man doing a build for the same vehicle except an 03

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I am having trouble uploading the shot of the back of the box. here's the front without the trim in place.

rumblefish
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Here's the shot of the back. I was running out of carpet so I had to do two pieces.

Jroo
03-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Ive had the quarts and type x's. I would try to use the alpine tweeter with the quart mid. The midbass on the alpines always lacked to me and the quarts sounded much cleaner with the exception of the tweeter. They were always harsh while the alpines were always smoother.

rumblefish
03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. I do have the active capability with the 880, I might as well use it. Here are the final shots with everything trimmed out. It's not perfect, but its just a hobby and I'll probably redo the setup anyway!

pinoy2o9
03-17-2012, 04:16 PM
clean build. clean amp rack. racks city biiitch! hehehe...

Jroo
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
If you go active, which I would. Remember the alpines dont play as low as the quarts do. You would have some fine tuning, but you have a great deck. Should come out sounding really clean.

mischeif
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
good **** man like the final product came out nice

CHRIS 323
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
am tuned in but can you make the pics bigger