PDA

View Full Version : buying a spl meter. any opinions on what brand?

AmericanBass
02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
I as wanting to buy a meter to see what db i was hitting on my 18. never had one hooked up to see before.
was wanting on to plug into my labtop.
what price range's am i looking at here.
Thanks! :)

skitzafit
02-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Term-PRO Secure Webstore - Complete Systems (http://www.termpro.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=11&cat=Complete+Systems)

AmericanBass
02-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Term-PRO Secure Webstore - Complete Systems (http://www.termpro.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=11&cat=Complete+Systems)

Ouch, that's expensive.
anything else buyer friendly? lol

CAT MAN
02-10-2012, 11:25 PM
nothing buyer friendly thats accurate

AmericanBass
02-10-2012, 11:27 PM
nothing buyer friendly thats accurate

yeah thats understandable. really havnt done much research on meters before.
Thanks for the heads up!

-01limited-
02-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Look into spl labs. There's a few reps on here. Shizzon being one.

kushy_dreams
02-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Look into spl labs. There's a few reps on here. Shizzon being one.

This.

They are supposed to measure within a few tenths of a termlab and cost is only in the $400 range.

dappa5
02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
if you "need " a meter it is worth shelling out for the TL I love mine / but if you just want for every now and again then just try to find some one who has one and make nice

maddog
02-12-2012, 02:53 AM
you can find used termlabs for 400 as well. thats what I would do.

keep_hope_alive
02-12-2012, 10:07 AM
you can find used termlabs for 400 as well. thats what I would do.

agreed - best tool for the application.

you can pick up a USB mic pre (with 48v phantom output and 24bit resolution) for under $100 new, run that with TrueRTA - $100 or less, and pick up a mic and calibrator. but you'll quickly approach $400 and the TL is superior.

I should find an application for a TL at work. we recently spent $1500 on an Earthworks M50 mic for our mobile RTA rig and $7k on a Type 1 SLM. but we have a $10k hydrophone that can measure underwater explosions... that would be sufficient for SPL - you just have to do the math to convert since it is referenced to 1 uPa (not 20 uPa)

snoopdan
03-13-2012, 04:12 PM
We've had Shizzon at the shop and the SPL-Labs meters along side the termlab and so no real significant difference. But we allways fall back on the Termlab meter because it IS what all the competition organizations use at this time.

groundpound4200
03-13-2012, 04:52 PM
I think they'd be golden if they could get a sanctioning organization to switch

hispls
03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
SPL lab wireless is a MUCH better piece than termlab IMO. Easier to setup, use, and software is better. Don't miss termlab whatsoever.

The meter from makeitlouder.com is also very accurate provided you have an accurate DMM and much more budget friendly.

soundrms
03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Anyone know someone in southern cali that might have a meter and be willing to check my system. I am hoping someone does it would be nice to test before entering a contest

ideal concepts
03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I use the hyperdynamics from make it louder. Biggest difference I had was TL read .2 higher. So if I get a good # on mine I will do better at a comp

pro-rabbit
03-28-2012, 11:22 PM
We've had Shizzon at the shop and the SPL-Labs meters along side the termlab and so no real significant difference. But we allways fall back on the Termlab meter because it IS what all the competition organizations use at this time.

I have been wanting to do some testing with it, but looks like I won't be doing any testing until they get one sent out to some one else I know. I wanted to try out their bluetooth model but no idea when/if I will get that chance.

TaylorFade
03-28-2012, 11:25 PM
If you know how far off any of those meters are from the TL and as long as it's consistant, you'd be fine. If the SPL Labs had a BT for the iPhone I'd be all over it. And I already own a TermLab.

I tested with the SPL Labs at the last show and it was pretty dead on when I got in the lane on the TL (I didn't have mine at the show). And it was just a mic streaming to the dude's phone. It was awesome.