PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane/ T nuts

Nut Hair Trick
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some that are actually worth a **** ?

I bought some of these from Parts Express and they arent worth a ****.
http://www.parts-express.com/images/item_large/081-1082_l.jpg
#10-32 Hurricane Nuts 50 Pcs. 081-1082 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=081-1082&FTR=081-1082)

I drilled holes in my baffle to stick these things through (from the back side) with wood glue, c-clamped them to ensure they stay, and all they do is fall out when I drive machine screws through the ring of the sub. I can hear them clinging to my magnet as they fall. They ****!!!!!!

IonRL205
02-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I used cheapo ones from lowes that have the claws instead and had no problems...

MANTI5
02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I have found them more trouble than they're worth and just go with good screws.

gunz4me2
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I had decent luck with the hurricane nuts from parts express BUT I drill the hole a little smaller than recommended and epoxied them into place.

I had even worse luck with the Lowe's brand t-nuts because one spun through after hitting a void in the cheap Lowe's Birch I was using. Want to talk about a royal PITA to remove a sub? Try removing it after the t-nut cuts a perfect little disc in the outer layer of birch and spins instead of grabbing on. I ended up having to use a pry bar on the sub to keep the back side from spinning.

IonRL205
02-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I had decent luck with the hurricane nuts from parts express BUT I drill the hole a little smaller than recommended and epoxied them into place.

I had even worse luck with the Lowe's brand t-nuts because one spun through after hitting a void in the cheap Lowe's Birch I was using. Want to talk about a royal PITA to remove a sub? Try removing it after the t-nut cuts a perfect little disc in the outer layer of birch and spins instead of grabbing on. I ended up having to use a pry bar on the sub to keep the back side from spinning.

Never had any problems here. Just pre drilled the holes and stuck them, and drilled the screw into it, but slowed down as they neared the end. Held just fine for me.

Nut Hair Trick
02-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I used cheapo ones from lowes that have the claws instead and had no problems...
Thanks, I will take a look for them at Lowes and see if they work since I have these gaping holes in my baffle. If not, I will just go with regular screws with a crooked *** sub since I wont be able to reuse those holes.

Nut Hair Trick
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM

What A nightmare. I had to do something similar before, but not with a sub. I didnt think about epoxy. That's another option, thanks.

bubbagumper6
02-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I found this style at my local hardware store in the specialty hardware section and they are amazing, you actually thread them in from the front and those little barbs on the side grab the wood...they will never pull out...

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/images/inserts.gif

Nut Hair Trick
02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I found this style at my local hardware store in the specialty hardware section and they are amazing, you actually thread them in from the front and those little barbs on the side grab the wood...they will never pull out...

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/images/inserts.gif
Those look sweet and are similar to what I used for my binding posts. I dont know why I didnt think about it, but those things arent moving at all. Thanks

galacticmonkey
02-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I've mounted 85lb subs upside down in a clamshell with regular screws into a double baffle and never had a single problem. Regular screws will be fine as long as the baffle doesn't flex. If it does, the heads will break off.

If you want really thick screws, get the heavy duty green SPAX screws. The screw is about as thick as a pencil. Its so thick it has to thread through the holes in a standard 12-spoke basket.

whitedragon551
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
I use fine thread black oxide hex screws.

Nut Hair Trick
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks Monk, I would go to regular screws but there are 5/16" holes already there due to using those crappy tnuts. I could turn the sub (with the center cap crooked) and use regular screws though. I'm going to try those threaded inserts first and see how it goes. If that turns out ****** then I will go with the regular screws. That is definitely good to know about them though and will go that route in the future. I was using 10-32 machine screws and I was in fact having to thread those through the basket. Maybe it was because it was new and I was actually threading through the outside of the surround. I will take a look at those SPAX screws too, which could in fact be my solution to the 5/16" holes I already have.

keep_hope_alive
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
i haven't had issues with hurricane nuts in MDF - but i also drilled the hole smaller and used glue to help hold - then resin on the MDF. just be careful not to get resin in the threads!

i've also used a lot of t-nuts - with spikes. the spikes just split the wood, and usually one isn't even seated when mounting speakers.

just remember when using these that you don't apply pressure to insert the screw, don't use power tools.

i change shyt so much, regular woods screws don't hold after 2-3 changes. t-nuts and machine screws are how i mount everything now - amps, speakers. processors, etc.

Kangaroux
02-13-2012, 07:22 PM
I use fine thread black oxide hex screws.

:uhoh:

Fine thread is a no go for anything remotely high powered

Flipx99
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I use wonderboard screws with a double baffle. No issues.

http://www.northlandconstruction.com/products/2479/orig/06-1367.jpg

nineball
02-13-2012, 09:32 PM
i use t-nuts from lowes and never had a problem, but i make my rings out of ply and not mdf. even with glue a t-nut in mdf is as useless as **** on a bull.