PDA

View Full Version : Ported design for an suv

tooshort_128
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Whats the best position for both sub and port for an enclosure for my Tahoe? I've always had both sub and port back but was wondering about sub up and port back? How would the sound differ?

dappa5
02-09-2012, 11:37 PM
sub up port back is typically the best setup for those trucks but is entirely install dependant

brandinooooo
02-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Sub up, port back is what I have in my Tahoe. I've tried sub back port back, sub back port driver side, sub up port side. It was overall louder and sounded best.

Moble Enclosurs
02-10-2012, 02:45 AM
It depends on the design. Not so much the vehicle, though it does contribute based on placement. The vehicle response can be similar symmetrically, but the design goals will determine the box style and physical construction. So, unless you go conventional and basic, that cannot be answered without a design idea in mind, and figuring for its response first.
But to give an answer, lets say you went conventional and basic......then likely sub up port back will be optimal due to the response change around the common 33Hz tuning, if that were to be used. The closer to non-linearity the driver below tuning, the more out of phase the response in a ported design.....conventionally. So, that would be my professional opinion.

tooshort_128
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
What kind of enclosure design do you think would sound best with a 12" Fi Q with BP option? I listen to mostly hip-hop, some chopped (slow and real low), and some jazz and would probably tune low depending on your opinion.

Moble Enclosurs
02-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Well, that would have to be compared with over 8 different designs to match response curves and check for excursion control, phase control, power limits, passband and efficiency curves, etc first. But if you say BP is your goal, I recommend a quasi 6th BP, but that would be limiting your possibilities without knowing for sure the sub will work well in that type of box, if at all. SO, no real answer can be given without testing first. Because of this, the only answers you may get is volume and tuning recommendations because nothing else can be said for nonconventional designs without testing and calculation. Sorry, I wish I could pick one for you now, but I would have to get the specs, run them over 8 different times for designs, then model them all and put them together for comparison and check to see which will give me the best results based on optimized output and personal preference along with staying within certain requested and uncontrollable limitations.
Its not easy for me to make recommendations without first doing a design idea, because I go all out and get very detailed, lol.

tooshort_128
02-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I definitely appreciate your thorough explanation and envy your knowledge. Could you pm me info for a conventional slot ported box, sub up port back, tuned low (I'll let you decide what's best), and around 2-2.5 cubes after displacement. Shipping would be to 20164.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

I'll gladly take other recommendations as well guys. Thanks so far...

Moble Enclosurs
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Sure :D