PDA

View Full Version : Quarter cube off, Does it really matter?(Numbers inside)

Volvowith18psi
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
So, While talking about my setup in another thread, it sparked my interest about my speaker specs and the box I currently have. Please dont bash me lol, Sub is a Kicker L5 12", not sure of the year. Black faced one, not the Silver.

The spec sheet says for SPL/Deep bass, Maximum:

3.25'3 + Port displacement
3x13.25" port, 15.5" long
"Its impractical to use round tubes for this design"

Now, I measured mine, and Im not the best at math buttt, I came out with:

17.25"longX26"wideX15"Height. Port is: 12"longX1.5wideX13.5Height

Which gives me 3.0146'3 w/ port factored in 3.155w/o.

Does that .25'3 really matter? With those dimensions, what is the box tuned at?

Just wondering if I should have a custom one built instead.

Thanks guys!

double 07
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
If that's 3/4 mdf single baffle........looks like about 2.6 cubes net and 35hz...........if the sub disp is .15

Volvowith18psi
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Hmm. The only thing that wasn't accounted was the displacement of the sub, which was listed on the spec sheet. The .75 MDF should a been accounted for in the final numbers. Maybe my buddy's math is wrong, although we don't call him "Rainman" for nothing, haha

Volvowith18psi
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Hmm. The only thing that wasn't accounted was the displacement of the sub, which wasnt listed on the spec sheet. The .75 MDF should a been accounted for in the final numbers. Maybe my buddy's math is wrong, although we don't call him "Rainman" for nothing, haha

Sorry for the double, work internet is laggy :/

Volvowith18psi
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry to bump the thread...

Well sir, it seems you were correct. I found the box online Audio Enhancers KPL12S Enclosure (http://www.audioenhancers.com/driverspecific/kpl12s.php)

Which leads me to the next question: Would I even be able to tell a different if I had a box made for the max enclose of 3.25ft3 the speaker spec sheet says?

Moble Enclosurs
02-10-2012, 03:57 AM
It depends on the type of box as far as being off that much. In a bandpass it can make more of a difference. And in some complex designs it can as well. As far as your question regarding manufacturer specs, this is an ever going topic and concern. But simply put, they are not always correct, if ever. They can be close, but as a designer, I rarely find them to be optimal. Best thing to do is have it done correctly and within YOUR limitations, not what the manufacturer says is the limits. That's my professional opinion. ......and personally, if you can fit the manufacturers specs in your limitations, and you have no other resource to use (which is why us designers are here) then use it. if you do not want to purchase a design or have one free, but half done...then it can be acceptable of course. No worries.