PDA

View Full Version : 4" Grills...dumb question

fannin88
02-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Iv looked around and cant find much info on this topic. Heres the situation: Im starting a fiberglass job on my door panels in the morning. Id like to get it all done in one day. I got a decent amount of room to work with (6 inch at max) to house some 4s where my factory grills are. Its a weird shaped grill, but Id say close to half a the 6.5 is covered by the door panel, virtually killing the point door speaker that big. I havnt bought my 4s yet, but plan to soon...Although Im not sure which ones Im going with. Iv also got a set of kick pods for 5 1/4s and a 1" tweeter, along with a set of Clarion speakers to put in there.

Now with all of that out of the way, Im wondering, on average how big is the outside diameter of a grill on a set of 4s, just to be sure I do glass enough, without making it look to far from stock. I know that varys by brand, but would like 5" of flatness do, or should i try for more toward 5.5"?

Sorry for the dumb question, Im just trying to get my glass work done so I can throw them in and get it out of the way when I get them. :veryhapp: Thanks guys

fannin88
02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.extremeautoparts.biz/media/09/a20792913100afcba646c5_m.JPG

Thats a stock image of what Ill be working with. Im basically going to glass a cast of the grill, so its all smoothm and looks more like its all one piece. From there I plan to cut out the hole for the speaker and mount the grill over it, I just dont want any grill overhanging the fiberglass. If it does, I can extend toward the top, and "flare" it out, so it will still "flow" right.

06goat
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.extremeautoparts.biz/media/09/a20792913100afcba646c5_m.JPG

Thats a stock image of what Ill be working with. Im basically going to glass a cast of the grill, so its all smoothm and looks more like its all one piece. From there I plan to cut out the hole for the speaker and mount the grill over it, I just dont want any grill overhanging the fiberglass. If it does, I can extend toward the top, and "flare" it out, so it will still "flow" right.

Id use Dura-glass, basically bondo with either long, or short strands of fiberglass. Fill that entire area, then when you install the speaker, cut out a 4" mounting ring. Pre-drill the holes through the duraglass, then put the baffle on the backside of the door and screw into that.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Id use Dura-glass, basically bondo with either long, or short strands of fiberglass. Fill that entire area, then when you install the speaker, cut out a 4" mounting ring. Pre-drill the holes through the duraglass, then put the baffle on the backside of the door and screw into that.

If you already have everything planned out the way you want to do it then honestly Id wait til I had the speakers. Its easier to test fit

fannin88
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Well to be honest, Id like to make them out of fiberglass, since I havnt done much at all with it. And yes, I have it pretty well planned out, but you know how things change. I may decide to swap out for something different in 2 years...or maybe 2 months. Ya never know, and itd be much easier to just take the "covers" off, and be right back to a factory, unharmed door panel. Plus, Id like to gain some time working with it. I guess I just like to know a little about alot haha. Id be better off waiting till I get them, but Iv been sick for the last few days and havnt got off of the couch. Its killin me!

I guess, what I could ask is: Is a grill for a 4" ever bigger than 5 1/2"? Thatd be around 3/4" past the speaker, all the way around. I havnt dealt much with grills, as Iv never had the speaker anywhere but behind the door panel. Thanks to this dumb design, Im opting to give it a try.

06goat
02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Well to be honest, Id like to make them out of fiberglass, since I havnt done much at all with it. And yes, I have it pretty well planned out, but you know how things change. I may decide to swap out for something different in 2 years...or maybe 2 months. Ya never know, and itd be much easier to just take the "covers" off, and be right back to a factory, unharmed door panel. Plus, Id like to gain some time working with it. I guess I just like to know a little about alot haha. Id be better off waiting till I get them, but Iv been sick for the last few days and havnt got off of the couch. Its killin me!

I guess, what I could ask is: Is a grill for a 4" ever bigger than 5 1/2"? Thatd be around 3/4" past the speaker, all the way around. I havnt dealt much with grills, as Iv never had the speaker anywhere but behind the door panel. Thanks to this dumb design, Im opting to give it a try.

There are many different grills but you should be okay with that.

fannin88
02-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah I figured thatd be a good median for me. Thanks for reassuring me. If it doesnt work, I can just redo it after I get them, and have a little better feel of things. Thanks sir.
And by the way, your ava is pretty sweet. Im thinking about making it the background on my phone.