PDA

View Full Version : car audio vs pro audio speakers

2ndroundko
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Ok so pro audio is louder cleaner and less expensive so why are they not more widely used. What gives ?

JoshC
02-07-2012, 06:47 PM
By pro audio you mean stuff that runs of AC power(Wall outlet) right???

Cars use DC power, from my understanding 100watts off a wall outlet is alot more then 100 watts out of a car amplifier.

DoesDad
02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't know, there's a lot of people that buy Dayton's and TC's (among others) from Parts Express and run them in a car or home theater/stereo setup. Same goes for comp speakers. There's a company called Madisound that sells smalller components like 5.25's and 6.5's and tweeters (lots of other stuff as well) that people use for DIY home audio cabinets and people run the same things in their cars. So imo the line is starting to blur a little bit.

Rich B
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Pro audio speakers are made to be loud, they arent made to sound good.

Look at the fs (resonant frequency spec) of pro speakers, where a car audio sub would spec say 30hz a pro sub would be over 50hz.

Same with pro mids, car mids can spec at 35-60hz, pro mids can be over 100hz.

nismos14
02-07-2012, 07:05 PM
No Pro audio is not cleaner, it is louder. For those that simply want to get loud, pro audio is the way to go. For those that want MIDBASS and not MIDRANGE from their car audio speakers will use "car audio" speakers.

MANTI5
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm running a Shiva X2 which is USUALLY used in home audio. Here's an excerpt from the app guide for that sub: "We did not design the Shiva-X2 specifically around mobile applications but there is
nothing that keeps you from using it in that circumstance. What differentiates a home
theater subwoofer from a car audio subwoofer? Mainly, it is marketing, the enclosures
it is designed for, and the impedance of the coils. Bass is bass so it matters not if it is
in a car or a house.

The one thing that you get in an automotive environment that is very nice is massive
cabin gain. Once the wavelength you are reproducing gets larger than the size of the
room you start to get something called “cabin gain”. This happens in houses also
albeit at a lower frequency and with less overall gain. In a car, you get massive re-enforcement down low, which allows you to design with a higher cut-off. That
translates to smaller boxes, which is good because you don’t have much space in a car
for a giant 10 cubic foot subwoofer.

The Shiva-X2 has much more displacement capability than 99% of commercial car
audio subwoofers."

DoesDad
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Pro audio speakers are made to be loud, they arent made to sound good

We are talking home audio right?

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
No Pro audio is not cleaner, it is louder. For those that simply want to get loud, pro audio is the way to go. For those that want MIDBASS and not MIDRANGE from their car audio speakers will use "car audio" speakers.

this!

treylittlefield
02-07-2012, 07:13 PM
my sundown pa speakers have decent midbass, but i dont think ive heard midbass like a dedicated midbass can produce lol

MANTI5
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Home audio does not equal "pro audio" or "concert speakers". I think things are getting confused in hur.

DoesDad
02-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Home audio does not equal "pro audio" or "concert speakers". I think things are getting confused in hur.

So what's a good definition of "pro audio" then?

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 07:20 PM
the title says pro audio speakers....not home audio....not to mention, alot of home audio (Diy) drivers are not louder than car audio drivers, pro audio mids are...

Parts-Express.com (http://www.parts-express.com/pro-sound.cfm) <---------- thats the pro audio section of pe as opposed to the home, car, etc...

Rich B
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
We are talking home audio right?

No, home audio is not the same thing as pro audio.

Its like comparing a large home speaker to a stack of monitors like you'd see at a rock concert.

One is made to have smooth, integrated sound, the other is made just to blast sound out to fill a stadium.

keep_hope_alive
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
B&C makes awesome speakers. Pro audio speakers can sound great, can handle more power, and are better built. Car audio speakers are cheaper, weaker, and lower quality.

As far as Fs, recognize the difference between a subwoofer and a woofer, and between a woofer and a midrange.

Car audio is the lowest form of audio. Let's be realistic. Our products are flea market compared to the other two markets. The reason is we use thin sheet metal enclosures and terrible mounting locations ... Why bother.

Home audio has everyone licked.

I wouldn't hesitate to use pro audio speakers, you just need to take T/S parameters into consideration. Certainly, the speakers are optimized for their environment. Pro audo has no limits to enclosure volume and can take full advantage of horn loading for long throw. Car audio is designed for terrible enclosures and near-field listening.

nismos14
02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
B&C makes awesome speakers. Pro audio speakers can sound great, can handle more power, and are better built. Car audio speakers are cheaper, weaker, and lower quality.

:confused::eek::laugh::thumbsdo:

Stop buying cheap **** car audio speakers and you won't have this problem. :up2somet:

MANTI5
02-07-2012, 10:20 PM
In general yes, home audio is light years ahead of car audio, there's the right drivers for the right enclosures.

KyleBechtold
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Cars use DC power, from my understanding 100watts off a wall outlet is alot more then 100 watts out of a car amplifier.

lmao stop giving out your opinion.. 100watts is 100watts.. the voltage/amperage that gets you there is what differs in a home vs car

Pro audio speakers are made to be loud, they arent made to sound good.

Look at the fs (resonant frequency spec) of pro speakers, where a car audio sub would spec say 30hz a pro sub would be over 50hz.

Same with pro mids, car mids can spec at 35-60hz, pro mids can be over 100hz.

Pro audio speakers are made just fine.. its the retards who use them incorrectly that give them a bad name.. those specs are not relevant and shows how little you actually know.. pro audio speakers were meant to be put in enclosures not tinfoil doors..

wrong again.. CLEAN CLEAR yadda yadda get people all mixed up.. Clear relates to distortion.. just because a speaker is not distorting does not mean it is CORRECTLY reproducing the material at hand.. You can get pro audio speakers to produce midbass.. but people purchase MIDRANGE speakers and expect the world.. for those that want midbass purchase MIDBASS..

people giving incorrect info is what it is..

In general yes, home audio is light years ahead of car audio, there's the right drivers for the right enclosures.

All around.. not just general.. The market for home audio is 10x+ bigger than that for car audio so more stuff is made

KyleBechtold
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Also to answer the op.. If you have ever been to a club or ever watched a dj work they are constantly tweaking the EQ for EVERY song and multiple times for each song.. that is to keep the pro audio speakers sounding good and keeping em from going poof..

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm never looked into PA midbass....interesting....

Learn somethin everyday!

keep_hope_alive
02-07-2012, 11:10 PM
:confused::eek::laugh::thumbsdo:

Stop buying cheap **** car audio speakers and you won't have this problem. :up2somet:

This is true. I don't see the point in spending $5k on speakers and putting them in a tin can. With that money, I will buy decent home audio speakers.

Even the best car audio speakers are medium level home audio drivers.

You think Focal offers the same speakers to car audio they sell to Wilson Audio? Even $6k Utopia Be is a step down. Listen to some MAXX-3 speakers and you'll understand. I haven't even heard Alexandria, at $100k each. Car audio is a hobby, and I am very realistic.

The_Grimy_One
02-07-2012, 11:18 PM
This is true. I don't see the point in spending $5k on speakers and putting them in a tin can. With that money, I will buy decent home audio speakers.

Even the best car audio speakers are medium level home audio drivers.

You think Focal offers the same speakers to car audio they sell to Wilson Audio? Even $6k Utopia Be is a step down. Listen to some MAXX-3 speakers and you'll understand. I haven't even heard Alexandria, at $100k each. Car audio is a hobby, and I am very realistic.

This ^^^
Keep Hope Alive always drops knowledge! I need to get into the home audio game!

Buck
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM

100 watts is 100 watts, bro.

JoshC
02-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Well i was helping a friend set up a show and we were loading up equipment(mixers, decks, amps n such). He said grab the 400watt amp for the back stage and i was like **** thats it? Just my sub takes 800 and all he had to say was there was a large difference between car audio and pro audio

keep_hope_alive
02-07-2012, 11:27 PM

This neglects the difference between rating methods, and any distortion. Input != Output on every amp ever made. Nothing is an ideal amplifier.

Though the post you quoted doesn't make sense. I can share pics of what a 150Wx2 home audio amp looks like....

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
This ^^^
Keep Hope Alive always drops knowledge! I need to get into the home audio game!

that. I don't understand how someone has perfect answers in every situation. KHA and Holic never cease to amaze me. probably never lose arguments...except with women...we all lose those....even when we're right:crap:

keep_hope_alive
02-07-2012, 11:39 PM
that. I don't understand how someone has perfect answers in every situation. KHA and Holic never cease to amaze me. probably never lose arguments...except with women...we all lose those....even when we're right:crap:

Spend a few decades answering car audio questions, spend the better part of a decade as an EE consultant, and be objective. :)

Women are stupid. You can win any arguement with a women if you don't let logic get in the way. Ignore logic when dealing with women. Focus on feelings.

2ndroundko
02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
ok cool so after fitlering out the blah blah and fighting I from what I get the PA/ Home audio speakers are superior in design and quality, but sound reproduction is limited to the platform in which it is installed. correct me if Im wrong but basically if the vehicle is deadened properly and the sound stage is setup correctly for the vehicle there is always going to be a better sounding PA speaker $ for $ than the car audio has to offer. that being said with out spending the time in money in proper deadening even to the point of over kill installing PA speakers would be a waste. On a side note I have read keep hope alives entire 27 page build log on sound domain and the dude knows his stuff, great job man. thanks guys

keep_hope_alive
02-07-2012, 11:47 PM
ok cool so after fitlering out the blah blah and fighting I from what I get the PA/ Home audio speakers are superior in design and quality, but sound reproduction is limited to the platform in which it is installed. correct me if Im wrong but basically if the vehicle is deadened properly and the sound stage is setup correctly for the vehicle there is always going to be a better sounding PA speaker $ for $ than the car audio has to offer. that being said with out spending the time in money in proper deadening even to the point of over kill installing PA speakers would be a waste.

Pretty much

Build the car around the sound system, use non-car audio speakers. Retrofit speakers into the car, use car audio. T/S parameters are vastly different.

I love Dynaudio speakers. I would rebuild the car around them, or enjoy them more in my house.

big_ol_meat
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
KHA always right? I have a pic that proves he's just plain WRONG. :up2somet:

Why So Cereal?
02-08-2012, 11:31 AM
KHA always right? I have a pic that proves he's just plain WRONG. :up2somet:

Pics of said pic?

big_ol_meat
02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm sure if you ask he'll post them. :)

brodeisel
02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Spend a few decades answering car audio questions, spend the better part of a decade as an EE consultant, and be objective. :)

Women are stupid. You can win any arguement with a women if you don't let logic get in the way. Ignore logic when dealing with women. Focus on feelings.

This is so true. Car audio and real life knowledge he be dropping

Pborcich
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
So what's a good definition of "pro audio" then?

Concert speakers or outdoor events

JimJ
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
ok cool so after fitlering out the blah blah and fighting I from what I get the PA/ Home audio speakers are superior in design and quality, but sound reproduction is limited to the platform in which it is installed. correct me if Im wrong but basically if the vehicle is deadened properly and the sound stage is setup correctly for the vehicle there is always going to be a better sounding PA speaker $ for $ than the car audio has to offer. that being said with out spending the time in money in proper deadening even to the point of over kill installing PA speakers would be a waste. On a side note I have read keep hope alives entire 27 page build log on sound domain and the dude knows his stuff, great job man. thanks guys

There are pro audio products I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, either.

JohnnyBASS
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
pro audio drivers always get loud but after hearing high end sq cars theres no way in hell id ever put a pro audio driver in a vehicle. unless it was for pure spl even then would sound like **** in my opinion. but then again i have ridiculously high standards for sound reproduction :(

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

There are pro audio products I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, either.

agreed

JimJ
02-10-2012, 10:41 PM
This is my answer to why I don't like pro audio products in a car - if the house isn't big enough for them, find me a car that is :D

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/analog_addict/Altec/CIMG5894.jpg

Some of the most efficient horns I've heard - I think we had 500mW on the compression driver amps and the sound was reflecting off neighboring houses, whoops.