PDA

View Full Version : Wood vs Metal Seals

Why So Cereal?
02-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm getting ready to go back and re-seal my doors for my new builld and I've been wondering about this for a minute now and figured now was as good a time as ever to ask

Would it be better to use wood or aluminum/sheet metal to seal the holes in the door frame? I know the wood is more rigid but is it really worth it over the metal? Basically, what do you guys use to seal your doors?

also, to those who have worked on a tC, will a piece of wood even fit in there? It seems like it might from the times I've been in there but I haven't looked into it too extensively.

wenn_du_weinst
02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
wood if it fits. it won't resonate as easily.

Why So Cereal?
02-06-2012, 06:46 PM
wood if it fits. it won't resonate as easily.

That's what I was thinking

wenn_du_weinst
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
you can deaden the steel but a flat piece of sheet metal is much harder to tame then a piece of ply wood. You can get more dead materials but unless your competing I'd just use wood.

Why So Cereal?
02-06-2012, 06:50 PM
you can deaden the steel but a flat piece of sheet metal is much harder to tame then a piece of ply wood. You can get more dead materials but unless your competing I'd just use wood.

Im probably gonna deaden the wood or metal whichever i choose anyway. What other materials were u thinking?

wenn_du_weinst
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
certain fiberboards and poly materials, but I doubt you will really hear much difference and it will cost well over double in price. especially on an area as large as a door opening.

Why So Cereal?
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
certain fiberboards and poly materials, but I doubt you will really hear much difference and it will cost well over double in price. especially on an area as large as a door opening.

Do I just use the thinnest wood I can find? or should it be a minimum thickness?

wenn_du_weinst
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd just use 1/4 or something. as long as it's thick enough not to flex. it would take massive 6.5's to flex .25''

Why So Cereal?
02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
I'd just use 1/4 or something. as long as it's thick enough not to flex. it would take massive 6.5's to flex .25''

Alright thanks man

UMWDawg92
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I used 3/8 inch plywood on my doors and it seems to be working great for me

okiedokie
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Hey Prunc3cmo

Have you thought using a thin piece of plexiglass?
The TC doors isn't completely flat, so you will need something that can bend a little.

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey Prunc3cmo

Have you thought using a thin piece of plexiglass?
The TC doors isn't completely flat, so you will need something that can bend a little.

I didnt actually...hmmmm....Well the first time i used sheet metal and thats what another member on here used in his build log. So I dont think it'd be too bad for me to use it again. I'm thinking it'd be more rigid than the Plexiglass though....

I really would like to use wood this time though for the extra rigidity and less resonance. Unless of course it doesnt fit then I'll probably go sheet metal again. How would the Plexiglass compare to aluminum sheets performance wise?