PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Feedback on a Few Components

CTGT2005
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm working on putting together a budget system to upgrade the factory parts in my GF's subaru legacy. Optimally I am trying to keep around 100-150 for the set of components. Any more and I may as well give her my set of Focal 165KP's I removed from my old car.

From my countless searches I have come up with a few sets that are standouts on value. The following are the sets and the feedback I have read. I would like additional comparisons if possible. Feel free to chime in.

Image Dynamics CTX6.5 - Good mid bass/mid, tweeter can be a bit harsh. Seems like they have a bit of a cult following in certain circles.

Morel Maximo - Lacking midbass, but very clean sound, no tweeter adjustment is a major downfall. Also go on sale for 80 dollars periodically, which currently it is not.

CDT Classic - No negative reviews, one guy here seems to reccomend them in every comparo thread, perhaps he'll chime in here.

MBQuart Premium PVI/PVL-216 - Good smooth midrange, but bright even when full attenuated.

Phoenix Gold RSD - Great midbass, great value for the price

Boston Acoustics S60 - Read good reviews, crossovers look like cheap crap

Why So Cereal?
02-05-2012, 10:41 PM
with your budget you should be looking at the Boston SC60 not the S60.

Pioneer D series is also good for the money...midbass is very strong on them and they'll take a buttload of power. I have a vid on my camera of them playing with no sub on and it punches very nicely.

I've heard the Morel midbass is very good actually but that they require a bit of power to get them moving.

CTGT2005
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
The best I can do on the SC60's is about 145$, so yes that does put them within consideration.

Really I'm leaning toward the CDT, MBQuarts (despite being Maxxsonics) and the ID CTX's.

Bobfig
02-07-2012, 02:45 AM
imo PG rsd components shouldn't be listed up there unless you can get them for under $100. out of the ones you listed it would be between the CDT, Morel, or Image Dynamics. i don't know what the mounting depth you can play with in her car but the image dynamics are pretty deep.

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 07:25 AM
The best I can do on the SC60's is about 145$, so yes that does put them within consideration.

Really I'm leaning toward the CDT, MBQuarts (despite being Maxxsonics) and the ID CTX's.

Any particular reason you're leaning towards those?

CTGT2005
02-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Any particular reason you're leaning towards those?

Primarily due to the number of positive reviews I have read about all of them. I am likely to remove the MBQuarts from consideration as I do not believe the tweeter will fit in the factory location. I had used boston acoustics once before, years ago and had some quality issues with their low end products (surrounds coming unglued and tweeters failing).

I am still concerned about both the CDT Classic and the ID CTX still as I have read multiple accounts of harshness in the tweeter.

imo PG rsd components shouldn't be listed up there unless you can get them for under $100

Lowest price on the PG RSD I've found is 89.99, which is what makes them very appealing.

i don't know what the mounting depth you can play with in her car but the image dynamics are pretty deep.

Not sure how deep can be fit in the door of the 05+ Legacy, I've seen an install online where someone fit a set of Hivi F1600 comps into the doors without issue, which has a 2.6" mount depth. The 2.75" depth of the CTX may be tight or require spacers.

murph
02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
custom selections are always the best imo you pick a midbass you like find a good crossover and pick a good tweet and boom great set

VisceralSound
02-07-2012, 09:31 AM
custom selections are always the best imo you pick a midbass you like find a good crossover and pick a good tweet and boom great set

^This, I'm going with a set of LanzarOPTI6pm midranges, still deciding on tweets.

Why So Cereal?
02-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Pioneer TS d1720c

Great reviews....strong midbass....2.5 depth....take tons of power.....smooth tweeter.....$109 new.

CTGT2005
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM

On my own car, yes that is the way I am going. Dayton Ref RS150-4, Vifa NE65W, ND20FA tweeters. The ND20FA and NE65's are going to be crossed LR2 @ 3.5khz, while the XO between the Dayton Reference and the Vifa Mid's will be handled actively. I would do something similar in her car however I dont have time to deal with her complaints when the speakers dont sound just right on the first go around.

Gregulate
02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
I would do something similar in her car however I dont have time to deal with her complaints when the speakers dont sound just right on the first go around.

That does sound like a PITA. Does her ride have a stock HU or AM?

CTGT2005
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Its an Alpine Headunit from some time ago. Probably going to power the front speakers with the RE Audio XT800.2 that is currently powering her sub when I switch the amp out for something else.

CTGT2005
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Its an Alpine Headunit from some time ago. Probably going to power the front speakers with the RE Audio XT800.2 that is currently powering her sub when I switch the amp out for something else.

Gregulate
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Sounds good. The setup will sound better than what she has currently, so you have nowhere to go but up.