PDA

View Full Version : question : adding an amp to my 6x9

Porkwagon
02-05-2012, 02:33 AM
I have a set of morel 6x9s in the rear and Polk audio 4x6's in the front. I was wondering how much of a difference adding power to the 6x9s will make. It seems like I have zero bass, they sound like crap on anything other than -1 bass. I was given an Alpine 3547, but know very little about amps. Need some input. Plan on switching to 4" in the front, but want to make the best out of the morels first.

keep_hope_alive
02-06-2012, 07:14 AM
an amp can help with overall volume. lack of bass is usually install - you need the rear airspace to be sealed from the cabin. what vehicle? pic of installed 6x9?

Porkwagon
02-07-2012, 01:54 AM
sorry for the late reply, the vehicle is a 91 caprice wagon. The 4th picture down at this link is the install (mine arent the stockers of course)Replacing my Rear Factory Speakers (http://www.butchthecat.com/94caprice/speakers.htm). I was hoping they would sound way better, but they just fall on their face with any bass whatsoever.

:edit: a little further down it shows him surrounding the speaker with foam...Wonder if I should even try that? Looks half assed.

sam_b03
02-07-2012, 02:38 AM
I bought some cheap 6x9 boxes from wally world years ago. I put some Infinity kappa's in them. I was pretty sad on the output til I amped them. You weren't going to mistake me for having a sub but the mid bass would vibrate my jeans. I had them mounted in the floor infront of the seat in my old Malibu. My car was rediculious loud(going by OSHA sound level charts for time around a noise to when your ears ring it was 103-105bd going down the highway inside the car) from the exhaust and not having A/C or heater the windows never were up. Between the wind noise and the exhaust note, it took a pretty loud stereo to be heard.

Mine were in box so I can't say if you will get much bass but putting an amp will help bring your speakers alive.