PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter is making weird noise occasionally

Beezwhammer
02-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Hello, im new, obviously.
Ive got an annoyance currently, my tweeter on the front right door, makers a tweet sound whenever my subwoofer hits. It doesnt always do it, it normally is only at a certain frequency range.

I removed the doorpanel recently, to check all the connections and it stopped for about a week and a half. It started again sadly. As i already said, it only happens occasionally, at higher volumes and certain low frequencys.

Im mostly wondering what could possibly be the problem, im pretty sure the tweeter has not gone bad, because it does produce the sound that it should be doing. So would this be a wiring problem? As a side note, it is connected to a crossover, and it could well be a crossover problem.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Is it only on certain songs or just any time a song hits that "certain frequency range"? Reason I ask this is because I have a CD in my car right now now that at the beginning when the bass hits, its almost like I can hear it come through the tweeter as well....never happened on any other songs...tried the same song on another system and it did the same thing so I'm guessing its something in the recording...

can u better describe the sound?

Beezwhammer
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Its not on any one song, just any song that hits the certain frequency, and if the bass is loud enough. It just makes a quick "tick". I would make a video, but you wouldnt be able to hear the tweeter over the sub.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Its not on any one song, just any song that hits the certain frequency, and if the bass is loud enough. It just makes a quick "tick". I would make a video, but you wouldnt be able to hear the tweeter over the sub.

Have u tried playing the same songs/ frequency, same volume with your sub off and see if the tweeter still does it?

also what do u listen to your music from? CD..ipod...??

Beezwhammer
02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
I Use my phone, and use PowerAmp app, but it does the same with my ipod also.
I havent thought of doing that yet actually, ill probably give it a try at high volumes with the subwoofer off.
Dumb thing about it all is that its only one tweeter, and not the other.

Heres one more thing i forgot to ask about, even tho this is different, my rear left door, i just installed new speakers into them, 4" 3 ways. And i sometimes get a weird noise when bass hits also, but it stops when i put the windows of that door down just a little bit. Same on the front right door tweeter, it stops when i put the window down.
So maybe its part of the cars body that is making the noise and not the speakers.

Gosh this is a mess... I can deal with it tho. Im just trying to get ready for the new RE Audio 12" srx (2 of them) im going to be putting in.

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Once you try it without the subs, that should tell u if its the speakers or something else making the noise.

I know how u feel though man. At one point, it seemed like everything in my car was going wrong to the point that I had to go days with NO music in my car. I almost went back stock lol Alot of times its the simplest things though, just work your way through it and it'll pay off in the end.

Beezwhammer
02-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Alright ill check that quickly. BRB

Edit: I went and gave it a try, tried the songs that normally do it, and got nothing, brought the bass up more, and i couldn't reproduce it. I brought my music to unbearably loud levels and still not tick. (sorry neighbors)

Why So Cereal?
02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Alright ill check that quickly. BRB

Edit: I went and gave it a try, tried the songs that normally do it, and got nothing, brought the bass up more, and i couldn't reproduce it. I brought my music to unbearably loud levels and still not tick. (sorry neighbors)

so that lets u know its not the speakers doing it....time to chase some ghosts bro :)

Beezwhammer
02-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Well, ill look around, and take the door panel off.
Another thing, when it does make the tick sound, if i hit the door panel a little it makes the sound, but then stops and it doesnt do it.
But i will open it again, check for anything that it could be.

Dirtrider4eva
02-05-2012, 02:38 PM
might have your crossovers wrong. if the tweeter isnt probably set at about that 5k-6k ish range, and is letting all frequencies through, the lower frequencies are causing it to clip and create the shrill noise.

Beezwhammer
02-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Then it would happen to both sides if it was the crossover, the tweeter is getting all the right signals.
As i said before, it only happens occasionaly, and when the bass is loud enough. If it was a case of the crossover sending lower frequencies, then it would always do it, no matter how loud the bass is.

So far, it has stopped again, i havent had it happen in a few days, after just pulling off the front right door panel. So it has something to do with the door panel, or something behind it.