PDA

View Full Version : Port length changes by switching height and width?

coolest user
02-03-2012, 05:54 AM
I was messing around with a port length calculator and noticed than when using all the same numbers, but switching the port height and width dimensions, that it would give two considerably different port lengths.

I don't know much about this and am trying to learn. Why does the vent length change when switching the width and height? The port square inches doesn't change is why this confuses me. If anyone could explain why it would sure be a help.

subzero
02-03-2012, 06:30 AM
yep, you change one thing or another and it changes port tunning and volume. so just keep messing with it.

Do you have a specific goal you need help with? because other than that, your bassically going to have to learn by experience.

I assume you know about the few online calculators available?

dbjunior
02-03-2012, 06:37 AM
A 6x8 or 4x12 should yeild the same length unless one is using a wall as a side.

coolest user
02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
What does "slotted port" on the calculator mean?

Using a port calculator I clicked "square port" and "slotted port" and got the following results using the same dimensions but reversed...

15 height x 5 wide = 23.25 length
5 height x 15 wide = 18.25 length

Why is there such a large difference in the port length? Does using a wall as 1 side change the port length that much?

This was using 6 ft3 @ 32 hz.

coolest user
02-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Do you have a specific goal you need help with?
I was just experimenting with numbers to learn how things work and see how changing certain things would affect the port length. Educational more than anything.

Kangaroux
02-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't know what calc you are using but a lot them act up when you check "slot port". Just do square port and see what it tells you