PDA

View Full Version : Speaker whine. How do I get rid of it?

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
You can only hear the speaker whine from volume 0-2 and then the music goes over it. It still annoying. It is more hearable in the back coaxials. It is not altrnaor whine because it does not go up and down with rpms. It sounds like a higher pitch tone is being played through the speaker along with some static (u can only hear the static if u put ur ear right up to the speaker) s it a bad ground or something?
-I did sand the grounding point
-Sometimes the static goes up and down in volume randomly when the volume is at 0. Please don't say my amp went out already.
-I set the gains with a dmm.

kickersubs4life
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Did you check your rca cables? Sometimes if your rca's are to close to your power wire it will cause the "whining".

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I have krystal rca's from knu which are decent, and they are on the other side of my big power wire. There is however 3 small 18 gauge power wires running along side them for the 2 t.v's and remote line, but i dont think these small power wires can cause that much intererence?

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 01:46 PM
anyone?

05trailblazer
02-01-2012, 01:49 PM
just try some other rca's maybe thats the problem... or ground ur radios rca

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
i was really hoping it wasn't that. Is there anything I can check first? I dont want to tare the car apart again.

05trailblazer
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
thos are the basics so far it could get more complicated

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I have not done a thing yet haha. I just finished hooking it up maybe 2 days ago. I will try these things when I get home. Any more opinions?

Kangaroux
02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
What kind of headunit do you have? My front speakers do the same thing when I have the heat or the A/C on but I am just using headunit power right now

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
pioneer avh 4300 dvd

Kangaroux
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Try taking a stripped piece of thin wire like some 16g or 18g wire, wrap it around the shields on the RCA's in the back of the headunit then attach the ends of the wire to a screw somewhere on the headunit. Your RCA's may not have a consistent ground and therefore you run into problems.

stevew007
02-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Try taking a stripped piece of thin wire like some 16g or 18g wire, wrap it around the shields on the RCA's in the back of the headunit then attach the ends of the wire to a screw somewhere on the headunit. Your RCA's may not have a consistent ground and therefore you run into problems.

^^^yup search "pico fuse" on here and it will bring up a thread about the fix with pictures

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
alright guys its def not the rca's because I unplugged all of them and theyre still whining. So its either a bad ground or a ****** amp.

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
i dont think the speakers are blown.... at least I hope not

Nico Koutouzis
02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
anyone else have any opinions?

martiandancer31
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
so these TV's that you have.....does turning them on/off affect the noise at all?

hotcress
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
I now have the same issue. Only thing I did was pull out the sub and its amp. Now I have this loud *** alternator whine. It does increase with rpm. Its the worst. Never in all my years doing this have I had this problem. I was told to ground the rca inputs at the amp. I dislike having to do something like this. I'm so thinking something went wrong somewhere else.

hotcress
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Hope you don't find offense on my posting this. Least there is a possible solution up there

stevew007
02-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I now have the same issue. Only thing I did was pull out the sub and its amp. Now I have this loud *** alternator whine. It does increase with rpm. Its the worst. Never in all my years doing this have I had this problem. I was told to ground the rca inputs at the amp. I dislike having to do something like this. I'm so thinking something went wrong somewhere else.

pioneer and kenwood have the pico fuse problem will cause nasty noise in your speakers.
do you know what cause's the pico fuse to pop? well its from people connecting/disconnecting rcas from it while the deck has 12volts hooked to it.it is very common and the fix is to ground the rca too the chassis of the stereo.my pioneer was so bad I couldent even hear music but as soon as i did the ground wire it went away completely.

oh look a sticky at the very top of the electrical forum
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/198477-engine-whine-ground-loop-fixes-take-two.html

Robert 2001
02-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Did u set gains with a dmm? Have u double checked all grounds? A bad ground can cause alot of crazy ish to happen. Pioneers are worse than anyhead unit about popping the fuse for outputs but if there disconnected thats not the problem

hotcress
02-01-2012, 09:54 PM
I just fixed mine the lasy way. Swapped the rear rca cable with the front...No noise. Then reconnected the front ones again. What do you know, no noise. If it comes back I'll ground the rca's to the chasis

VWBobby
02-01-2012, 10:52 PM
IF you unplugged the RCA's from the head unit and it still has the same issue...it is most likely a ground loop or the amp is picking up noise through the power wires near the RCA's.

The way to fix it is to clean your ground for your amp and make sure you have a solid ground with the same gauge wire as your power. If you still have noise, try routing the remote/power wires for your TV's etc away from your RCA's by at least a foot. Any wires that run parallel to your signal wires can be a source of noise. Its always best to run the wires perpendicular (across) the input/signal wires or keep them away if possible.

Also make sure your head unit is grounded to the chassis/metal and not through the wiring harness. I have found that some harnesses do not have a clean ground so the HU picks up noise or ground loops through another device. Ground the wire within 1 foot of the HU if possible.

Nico Koutouzis
02-02-2012, 01:19 AM
turns out it was the led's causing interference. I turned them on and whine. I turn them off no whine. There is however still a slight static noise from the speakers.