PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Type R vs HAT Imagine?

lingling1337
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Well I just went to pick up my LeSabre from the shop and they said they couldn't install the Imagines without adapter plates. The sales guy also bashed the HATs and suggested the Alpine SPR-60C which he said is a much better speaker (but he wanted almost msrp for the set- $250 plus I'd have to pay another fee for component install.)

I told him I just want to do the plates and I'll judge for myself how the speakers sound, but I have time to change my mind before they take the car in again. (never stepping foot in there again I swear... the wiring IDK if I could have done but taking apart the doors, that's just an afternoon project)

Without the sales rep having heard the Type-R in my car, and with his vague bashing of the HAT drivers, Im pretty sure I was being pressured for a commission. Thoughts?

MANTI5
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Never heard anything bad about HATs.

DoesDad
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
The HAT's will tear up the Type R's! I don't mind the Alpine components but to compare them to the HAT's the guy had to be high....

The_Grimy_One
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
HATs for sure!

FlexnInLa
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Sales guy on crack! HAT all day long.

lingling1337
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Thats what I figured... the guys at the shop are nice enough but they obviously get hella commission. He told me not to buy this "off-brand" stuff, I just had to laugh.

zako
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
My observation is that HAT is a step up from the previous generation of Alpine Type-Rs. I can't comment on the new ones. The SPR-60C are completely a new design. The only possible issue with the HATs running in passive mode is that a lot of people reported that tweeters are a little too loud. This is probably most notable with cymbals. If you run passive front and experience this, try to rotate the tweeter away from your ears and reduce the highest EQ band by a few dbs.

KyleBechtold
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I really liked my alpine type Rs the New ones.. I replaced them with ID xs 65s