PDA

View Full Version : Volume necessary.

nbellowe
01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to the scene, and just needed some advice. I am planning on buying this --
amazon com/P126DVC-Phantom-12-Inch-Subwoofer-4-Ohm/dp/B0032FOKQA/
, and building a box for it. Is about 2 cubic feet enough? Also, what are the advantages of ports vs vents? Is there a difference?

Gregulate
01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Never heard of phantom before, but as for sealed vs ported, check out http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/68635-sealed-vs-ported-basic-info.html.

What's your budget and what are you trying to achieve? And welcome! :)

nbellowe
01-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Never heard of phantom before, but as for sealed vs ported, check out.

What's your budget and what are you trying to achieve? And welcome! :)

Thank you for the quick response!! I do understand the difference between sealed vs ported, I was wondering the difference between ported vs VENTED. Is there one?

What would you say is a standard volume for a 15-er with about 1000 watts RMS?

Buck
01-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Vented and ported are the same. If you listen to rap, go ported. If you need help with a design or even a woofer, I can help too.

duanebro
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Thank you for the quick response!! I do understand the difference between sealed vs ported, I was wondering the difference between ported vs VENTED. Is there one?

What would you say is a standard volume for a 15-er with about 1000 watts RMS?

There is no standard volume for subs. I depends on the sub, music, car, power, etc.

duanebro
01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
I just looked at that sub, please save your money. Have you bought anything yet? And what car/truck/suv do you have?

nbellowe
01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
I just purchased something different, but it hasn't shipped! Thank you so much for the help.

I have an Acura MDX 2004. I would like to keep at least one of the rear seats in. Right now I have 2 Alpine E-12's (the white ones that are like 6 years old). They were good in there day, but one has to be rebuilt, and there worth like 10 bucks a pop, so its not worth it. I have a 1000 watt RMS (4 ohm) mono amp. It can also be run at 250 watts x 2 RMS 4 ohm. I was planning on wiring two of these babies -- (www pioneerelectronics com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Champion+Series/TS-W309D4 It wont let me link, sorry.) -- at 4 ohms. It would be in a dual 12 inch 2.5 ft^3 box that could be sealed or ported, but I would have to design the pipe for a port (don't know the technical name), as it only has a hole right now.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Also, I got a steal on those subs (100 for a pair of two, shipped!)

nbellowe
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Are those subs any good?