PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose some 6.5 Component speakers for my build

pilyin
01-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while but I'm doing a build on my boat. I'm looking for advice for some 6.5 comp speakers. These will be hanging on the wakeboard tower in a custom fiberglass enclosure and will not be seeing salt water or getting wet so I don't need marine speakers. I'm looking to hang 2 x 6.5 sets up there and they will be powered by a JL Audio e6450 that I already have. The Deck is a Clarion CZ500. They will be paired with 2 RE Audio SE-X 10" subs (sealed, wired to 2 ohm).

Budget: 200-$300 for 2 sets. Maybe a touch more if a good opportunity comes up.

I've found these that I could get in my budget. Any opinions on any of these or any suggestions on others?

-Arc Audio FD6000
-Eclipse SC6500
-MB Quart PVL-216
-MB Quart PVI-216
-Memphis PRCS6/6V2
-RE Audio RE6.5C
-Soundstream RF-60C<---- Higher than I want to go price wise unless I hear really good things about them.

Another set to throw into the mix (haven't looked at the suggested ones yet, will when I get home): Polk DB6501

Thoughts?

On a separate note, would a Soundstream Rubicon 1.1600D (1100 RMS at 2 ohm) provide enough power for the RE subs (600RMS) or are they more power hungry?

Thanks in advance.

trumpet
01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
The marine audio market where I live is nonexistant but there's a good reason boats get marine speakers. Just because there's no water splashing up that high doesn't mean water won't get in and ruin regular speakers. I would look into Clarion's marine line-up, or JL Audio.

disturbed471985
01-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Lokk into cadence or massive both offer good speakers at a good price..

disturbed471985
01-25-2012, 04:10 PM
The marine audio market where I live is nonexistant but there's a good reason boats get marine speakers. Just because there's no water splashing up that high doesn't mean water won't get in and ruin regular speakers. I would look into Clarion's marine line-up, or JL Audio.

Not to stay ur not right but people told me using HT speakers in my doors would get runied due to the moisture but 3 years later not a single issue..

Why So Cereal?
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
At roughly 100-150 a set, I'd look into the Boston Acoustics SC series, JL Audio C2's, or Pioneer D Series. In that order.

But, since they'll be up high anyway, you could probably get away with doin coaxs. In that case I'd look into Hybrid Mirus or Boston Acoustics SR Series or look for a used set of Hybrid Imagines.

Whitedragon has those Eclipse comps IIRC and could probably tell u more about em...dont mess with those Memphis ones though. I was very unimpressed with the way they sounded.
No experience with the others on your list but I probably wouldnt run any of em...but thats just me.

and in response to the sub question, I hear those amps do rated or close to it atleast so the difference in buying that amp and say a Kicker or Sundown 1500wrms wont be noticeable to the ear. Only diff will be amp quality...

pilyin
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM

I actually was in a local install shop recently and asked about that. The head installer told me they install non-marine stuff in lake boats all the time without having any issues. So I'm not worried about that. As long as the cones aren't paper, there shouldn't be a problem.

trumpet
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Huh. Learn something new every day.

mylows10
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
got a set of cdt cl61a components for 140 shipped ,you can get another set from woofers etc for about the same price maybe a touch more

Bobfig
01-26-2012, 02:04 AM
got me my massive audio ck6v installed the other day and they get loud.

pilyin
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
got me my massive audio ck6v installed the other day and they get loud.

After looking into Massive CK6V's yesterday a bit and finding some pretty good reviews by multiple people, I think that's the direction I'm leaning right now. How do they sound? Do they have decent mid-bass? Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing? What did you replace with them?

disturbed471985
01-26-2012, 12:23 PM
B2 has a comp set they sell for 150 each. I really wanna try a set but I have no need for them at the moment. But yea knowing B2 I would say they are prob very good for the price.

pilyin
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
B2 has a comp set they sell for 150 each. I really wanna try a set but I have no need for them at the moment. But yea knowing B2 I would say they are prob very good for the price.

Where can they be found?

disturbed471985
01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Where can they be found?

Quality Car Audio Speakers at WooferWarehouse (http://www.wooferwarehouse.com/Components_c_55.html#top)

If u do go with them plz post a review.. They look very nice for such as cheap price..

pilyin
01-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Quality Car Audio Speakers at WooferWarehouse (http://www.wooferwarehouse.com/Components_c_55.html#top)

If u do go with them plz post a review.. They look very nice for such as cheap price..

Very interesting. Might try. Their subs are quite expensive compared to the comps. I just might give them a shot...

disturbed471985
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Thats why I assume their comp set is of quality. Their subs are no joke breaking records in EU daily...

T.I.K.
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while but I'm doing a build on my boat. I'm looking for advice for some 6.5 comp speakers. These will be hanging on the wakeboard tower in a custom fiberglass enclosure and will not be seeing salt water or getting wet so I don't need marine speakers. I'm looking to hang 2 x 6.5 sets up there and they will be powered by a JL Audio e6450 that I already have. The Deck is a Clarion CZ500. They will be paired with 2 RE Audio SE-X 10" subs (sealed, wired to 2 ohm).

Budget: 200-$300 for 2 sets. Maybe a touch more if a good opportunity comes up.

I've found these that I could get in my budget. Any opinions on any of these or any suggestions on others?

-Arc Audio FD6000
-Eclipse SC6500
-MB Quart PVL-216
-MB Quart PVI-216
-Memphis PRCS6/6V2
-RE Audio RE6.5C
-Soundstream RF-60C<---- Higher than I want to go price wise unless I hear really good things about them.

Another set to throw into the mix (haven't looked at the suggested ones yet, will when I get home): Polk DB6501

Thoughts?

On a separate note, would a Soundstream Rubicon 1.1600D (1100 RMS at 2 ohm) provide enough power for the RE subs (600RMS) or are they more power hungry?

Thanks in advance.

OP, I'd look at these

Massive Audio VK 6 (KV6) Component Systems at Onlinecarstereo.com (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_29690_Massive_Audio_VK_6.aspx)

they're cheap, lots of people like them, I myself am gonna be installing a set in my car.

whitedragon551
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I vote Eclipse SC6500's out of everything listed here so far. Ive got 2 pairs of them. Mids are great and detailed. Tweeters are detailed, but not harsh.

Bobfig
01-27-2012, 06:02 PM
After looking into Massive CK6V's yesterday a bit and finding some pretty good reviews by multiple people, I think that's the direction I'm leaning right now. How do they sound? Do they have decent mid-bass? Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing? What did you replace with them?

they are pretty bright even with the tweeters on -3 on the crossover. but all i did was set my head unit to -2 and its all good. the woofer has good sound but doesn't seem to get low as i thought. that may be because of my install or my amp as it only goes to 80hz on the high pass crossover and only powering them with 60wrms. i plan on bridging the amp eventually so that it gives them 180wrms but will set the gains lower and see if that helps. the woofer is from what i think quick and detailed. i replaced some PG rsd6cs components that i had that i ended up blowing a woofer. those were alright for the $70 i spent. i still have some tweaking to do but im still happy with them.

Are the tweeters harsh or over-bearing?
i wouldn't say harsh. i like what i read on another post and say they are so much more efficient then the woofer so they end up playing louder.

EDIT: i ended up going out side and bridging them and they seem to have a lot better mid-bass response right away. they definitely need to have more then 100wrms running to them. now i have to do some fine tuning but the initial results are promising.

pilyin
03-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Well curiosity got the best of me. I ended up ordering 2 sets of B2 Audio comps (B2 Audio ES61 Components - ES6.1 6.5" Speakers (http://www.wooferwarehouse.com/B2-Audio-ES61-Components--ES61-65-Speakers_p_139.html)). I'll see what those are all about. The mids look pretty beefy. I'll find out soon.